Umatilla Army Depot -- offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I would suspect that the cleanup operation at Umatilla may be close to finished. The radio system may simply have reached the end of it's mission with the closure of the base.

- Chris

Darth_vader

"I would suspect that the cleanup operation at Umatilla may be close to finished. The radio system may simply have reached the end of it's mission with the closure of the base."

"All munitions have been safely destroyed by 2011 and base closure operation are expected to be completed by 2015. *snip* The Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility is designed for the destruction of the chemical weapons stored at the Umatilla Chemical Depot. The facility was completed in 2001. The Army began weapons disposal on September 8, 2004 and completed disposal on October 25, 2011." (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umatilla_Chemical_Depot)

So they must be leaving the base open until 2015 for administrative reasons. I'd also guess the conclusion of the destruction process may be a factor in the area's radio system being shut off. That, and they may also be using some type of secured cellular telephone system in its place. (Just a guess.)

You know, for years that part of the trek down 84 was probably one of the most hateful (and unnerving) parts of almost any trip to Pendleton for us...

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Drove by again yesterday and it's definitely offline. No signals heard. Looks quite dead too. :)

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Per: Admin handbook
RadioReference.com Database Administrator Handbook
Version 1.6
- 17 -
 Deprecated – this status is used to remove a decommissioned trunked system. “Deprecated” trunked systems are not normally visible in the database but may be returned in search results.

twowaytekk

Depot

The Umatilla Army Depot UHF trunking system is not offline. System 873E is operating as I type this.

Try looking here:

Mark

SCPD

QRT
The Umatilla Army Depot UHF trunking system is not offline. System 873E is operating as I type this.

Try looking here:

Mark

Do you know this from first-hand experience or was the info just passed on to you?

I specifically searched in the 380-420 range and heard nothing but static. I suppose I could have caught them when they were switching frequencies...

I'm planning a trip near that area for late September. I'll take a short detour and give it another search.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Guys, I can definitely tell you that the Umatilla Army Depot trunked system is still on the air. I'm parked right outside the base perimeter and watching the control channel as I type this.

Still System 873e, control channel on 408.1625 MHz. No activity as I am sitting here, though...

- Chris

Attachments

• CAM00194.jpg
    CAM00194.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

ecps92

Nice Photo :cool:
However the moon landing was filmed in Hollywood :cool:

Good validation Chris

Guys, I can definitely tell you that the Umatilla Army Depot trunked system is still on the air. I'm parked right outside the base perimeter and watching the control channel as I type this.

Still System 873e, control channel on 408.1625 MHz. No activity as I am sitting here, though...

- Chris

SCPD

QRT

Thanks for verifying Chris. Did you get *any* activity from the system?

I'm also left wondering if they have either reduced power or have moved their antennas around a bit...

cinsu

Looks like it is still active, maybe needs to be recovered in the database? I'll be driving 84 from beginning to end next month and can check the signal level from there. Anybody know specific areas they remember receiving it before?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for verifying Chris. Did you get *any* activity from the system?

I'm also left wondering if they have either reduced power or have moved their antennas around a bit...

Yes, there were a couple of users during the 2 hours or so I was monitoring, both brief, but in the clear. I wasn't running TRUNK88 at the time, so I didn't log the activities.

I don' think the system range has been reduced. I caught the control channel well west of Boardman on I-84 and still heard the control channel up north on I-82 going into Kennewick. I lost it going down the hill into the Tri-cities area.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.