woodburn pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasone234

i found out the other day woodburn pd 155.13 is now encrypted.so my question is if i get a new digital scanner will it encrypt it or listing to them are gone.is there any way to listen to them thanks jason

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If they're encrypted,then listening to them is gone.

Think about it, why would an agency spend the extra money and time to encrypt if somebody could easily decrypt them with a scanner?

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
There was a discussion in the Oregon Forums a while back about the possibility of Woodburn Police switching to Nexedge NXDN digital which can't be monitored by a scanner. Normally I can hear Woodburn PD's analog freq from Albany really scratchy though. I will program their freq in without a PL tone and see if I hear any digital data.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I think they have gone Nexedge. I'm hearing digital data but its not P25.

I wonder if they are encrypted or encoded. Encoded, as in converted to a digital form (non-P25 as noted) and not able to be monitored by an analog scanner, or encrypted, as in converted to digital form *and* bit-scrambled so that it can't be monitored even with a digital-capable receiver.

I'll have to see if I can hear them from Beaverton. DSDPlus and SDR# with a Nooelec R820T may be able to decoded Nexedge NXDN, but I don't have first-hand verification that this is true. I use this same setup to listen to Washington State Patrol's P25 on one of my PC's.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
My source says they are digital (NXDN) and encrypted, yet their license does not reflect NXDN at all. I pointed this out to my source, who didn't have an explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Lovely, and on top of that neighboring PD's and MCSO can't monitoring them either at the moment.

Yeah, there was an armed robbery earlier in Woodburn and the suspect took off in the direction on an elementary school and OSP dispatch said that it was going into lockdown and the trooper asked dispatch to keep them posted on info since they couldn't monitor WPD anymore.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
yet their license does not reflect NXDN at all. I pointed this out to my source, who didn't have an explanation.

Neither does Junction City's P25 freq just narrowband FM modulation.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering why they seemed quiet all of a sudden. This explains it.

Fabulous. Less interoperability and less transparency. Of course, this cuts both ways.

kaylajade67

Premium Subscriber
So, to be sure I'm understanding.....Woodburn/Hubbard police 155.130 scannertohas gone digital, and are encrypted in such that not even buying a digital scanner will do the trick, specifically due to the encryption. ? So, they are just "gone"?

I am a single parent who has listened to calls on my portable analog for safety
Purposes. I can't imagine after all these years that I can no longer listen to them.

kaylajade67

Premium Subscriber
I have confirmed through past meeting minutes of METCOM that Woodburn/Hubbard was moving forward with digital, NEXEDGE. Is that one that cannot be encoded?

I find the timing rather odd for Woodburn considering their recent legal attention & accusations. Not smart.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I was just hearing Woodburn PD dispatch in analog mode but I couldn't hear any analog or digital junk from the mobiles so maybe they are using simplex?

kaylajade67

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I found: Woodburn and Hubbard Police Departments are moving forward with the digital system. Woodburn Police has installed base radios and has radios in the fleet currently being programed. METCOM continues to focus on a simulcast system for South 1; and continues to work on North 6 in North County. Woodburn Fire, Hubbard Fire, and Woodburn Ambulance have transitioned off of the UHF system and are completely on VHF. All UHF equipment has been removed from the dispatch consoles."

Also in a separate document, the system that Woodburn switched to is referred to as the "Digital Nexedge system". Interpretations, anyone?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I was just hearing Woodburn PD dispatch in analog mode but I couldn't hear any analog or digital junk from the mobiles so maybe they are using simplex?

When they transmit using Nexedge there is no PL, so if you have their 100.0 tone set, you may want to take it back to csq hear the data.

Sent from my Moto X with Tapatalk

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
When they transmit using Nexedge there is no PL, so if you have their 100.0 tone set, you may want to take it back to csq hear the data.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I had the freq in CSQ mode and all I was hearing was the dispatcher in analog mode with a 100.0 PL tone with the radio set to tone search. I was not hearing mobile units in analog mode and there was no digital data coming on the freq either...just dispatch in simplex mode.

southradio

Interesting to read about their use of North 6 for fire. I remember a year or so ago when there didn't seem to be any activity on North 6 when I'd be scanning while down that way. A few months ago, I remember while traveling I-5 near the Aurora exit that North 1 was very scratchy. More recently, scanner travels found that North 1 seems to be weaker than previous and quite scratchy in some places to the point that the voice comms break up. Perhaps a new antenna during narrowbanding or something is causing that. In days of old, North 1 was heard decently throughout the county while the scanner was mobile. So, they're looking at a simulcast for South 1. What do they have now? Is it three transmitter sites designed to optimize reception for groups of fire districts?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I had the freq in CSQ mode and all I was hearing was the dispatcher in analog mode with a 100.0 PL tone with the radio set to tone search. I was not hearing mobile units in analog mode and there was no digital data coming on the freq either...just dispatch in simplex mode.

Well that's interesting lol. I'll have to listen and see what I can hear. Although since they narrowbanded their analog signal has been a lot weaker for me.

Sent from my Moto X with Tapatalk

kaylajade67

Premium Subscriber
OregonScanner: I am very unfamiliar with terminology in depth regarding scanners, frequencies, etc. So, my apologies, but in your last post, I didn't quite understand what you were saying. Do you think there is still a way to receive mobile transmissions on 155.130?

Status
Not open for further replies.