Redmond PD - Moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
It appears Redmond PD has moved off of their own 5 channel trunk system and are now using Deschutes County's system. Talkgroup ID is 60336.

More to come...

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
I found this article from back in July of 2015. Looks like Redmond is transferring their equipment over to Deschutes 911 District. I would assume the current 10 channel system will grow to 15 channels.

Deschutes County commissioners approved changes this week that are expected to be important first steps in developing a centralized 911 radio system for police, fire and other public agencies in Central Oregon.

The board signed an agreement Monday that will allow the Oregon Department of Transportation to use the Deschutes County 911 Service District tower and radio room so the state agency can install its equipment for a statewide radio project.

The partnership is expected to reduce the cost associated with the district’s proposed system upgrades by half. A consulting group told the district that if it installed upgrades on its own it would cost about $13 million, according to 911 Director Steve Reinke.

“Over the next four months we’re going to be further developing our system with the intent of partnering with the state as much as we possibly can,” Reinke said.

The district and ODOT will jointly maintain the equipment and tower.

Rick Silbaugh, a systems manager at the district, presented the partnership agreement to county commissioners on Monday.

“It doesn’t make sense as far as being good stewards of our money to go out and do the same thing without first exploring partnerships,” Silbaugh told commissioners.

County commissioners also approved transferring ownership of the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office’s radio system to the 911 service district.

The move is an effort to consolidate the various radio systems that police and fire agencies use throughout the county and Central Oregon.

“It’s a tremendous step,” Reinke said. “I couldn’t be more pleased that the sheriff’s office is expressing confidence that the 911 district is the right place to centralize the radio system for the long term.”

The district will assume responsibility starting today for operating and maintaining radio sites, components and equipment that had been overseen by the sheriff’s office.

The Redmond City Council also recently voted to transfer the radio system the city owns and operates for the Redmond Police Department to the 911 service district.

Reinke said money from a reserve fund will be used to pay for equipment upgrades proposed in the project to centralize radio systems. In October, the district will present what the costs will be to maintain the system.

Some of the equipment currently used is 20 years old, Reinke said. A new communication setup would be more efficient and cost effective, he said, and provide services that are not available currently. For example, a school district could use the radio system with a smartphone and communicate with dispatchers.

The new system would also allow for agencies to communicate better outside of their immediate area of operation.

“What we’re going to build is a system that can communicate countywide,” Reinke said.

— Reporter: 541-617-7820,

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I always enjoy listening to those systems when I'm in that part of the stat. It's nice to know how things are evolving.

I have to wonder what exactly is meant by the comment about the school district using smartphones to talk to dispatchers. That's a new one on me:

>>> A new communication setup would be more efficient and cost effective, he said, and provide services that are not available currently. For example, a school district could use the radio system with a smartphone and communicate with dispatchers. <<<

???

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I have to wonder what exactly is meant by the comment about the school district using smartphones to talk to dispatchers. That's a new one on me:

Interesting. I have never heard of this either but I searched around and found that Harris has an smartphone app called BeOn that apparently enables a smartphone to be used on an LMR radio system:

BeOn - Extending the Reach of Push-to-Talk Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.