Which digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleflag

Now that Clark County switched to P25 digital I've accepted the fact that I finally need to buy a digital scanner. I'm wondering what all of you are using in the Portland metro area? Uniden or Whistler? Models?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Recommended

After looking at the area, I found only one EDACS trunking system. If you are wanting to listen to EDACS, it will have to be Uniden. I don't know which other models have the capability of upgrading firmware for EDACS. I own a 436HP.

I also found several DMR systems. From what I understand, the Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2, both capable of handling DMR, do not track DMR conversations like Uniden. With Uniden, you can follow the conversations.

Large Metropolitan areas are rather tricky when it comes to reception, depending on the terrain, tower sites, and several factors. I chimed in here to help you, but hopefully, some locals will assist you further.

I bought my radio from the Ham Radio Outlet. It has been a fine radio. In fact, I bought another one for backup.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
I've personally had a great time with my Uniden BCD325P2, but most of my friends have BCD436HPs. Hearing more and more positive feedback about Whistler so hard for me to say.

Whatever you do, make sure it either has or will have TDMA capability as many of the radio systems in the metro will eventually be P25 Phase II.

battleflag

Whatever you do, make sure it either has or will have TDMA capability as many of the radio systems in the metro will eventually be P25 Phase II.

You are correct, I will need a Phase II scanner which narrows the choices. I was thinking of finding a less expensive scanner on Ebay but most all of the older digital models are Phase I only. I am strongly leaning towards the 325P2 as that seems to be the only one within my price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.