Forgot they're encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
I just heard a Redmond PD officer tell another one, "Don't give out his information over the air, he has a scanner."

Say what? As if the 30 minute delay would matter.

cinsu

Decisions like encryption happen at a high level and in my experience education on the use of radio systems is minimal especially when it comes to user agreement agencies like Deschutes County. I’d be willing to bet the only difference the majority of users in Deschutes County are aware of is that they sound like robots now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Decisions like encryption happen at a high level and in my experience education on the use of radio systems is minimal especially when it comes to user agreement agencies like Deschutes County. I’d be willing to bet the only difference the majority of users in Deschutes County are aware of is that they sound like robots now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The officers are fully aware they're encrypted. I know several of them.

ki7fk

The Deschutes 911 director told me that the decision to encrypt even the dispatch channels was made by ONLY the heads of each of the law enforcement agencies. That is the "high level" mentioned. The County Commissioners, and City councilors had absolutely no say in the matter.

I have always supported our law enforcement 125%, but no longer can. Trust is a two-way street and they don't trust the public they serve with even basic radio information so I and many others can no longer trust them. .Heck, I hardly see a patrol vehicle and as far as I can tell, they are doing nothing for us. That certainly isn't true of OSP and the many other agencies that still respect the ones they serve. Speeding thru school zones and running stop signs is never enforced anymore.

I am not voting for anymore money for them. They got their private little radio system from us and that is enough. I know... I'll go take a breath. :)

Baker845

I 100% agree with you Ki7fk. Trust is a 2 way street and once law Enforcement goes encrypt, its show they don't trust the public they serve and Public in return doesn't trust then.For all the excuse about encrypting for officer safety is a poor excuse to use. Look see where your tax money goes you see, law Enforcement get enough money and don't need anymore.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pretty tough to Be On the Look Out for someone or something if you don't know what they're looking for. And that's not just the general public that won't be looking but all the neighboring agencies/etc (that often listen in when working using private scanners).

Status
Not open for further replies.