436hp questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncledenny48

Decided to go with the uniden 436Hp I just ordered it, by reading the programming guide it appears that entering my zip code it will load automatically PPB/PFB, Is that accurate? And my end goal is to have it sound like the feed on broadcastify. I was proficient in programming the analogs. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you enter you zip code, the scanner will automatically load stuff to scan in your area (defined from the center of the zip code). If your zip code covers a large area, a GPS will locate your scanner more accurately, and will also be useful when traveling--the GPS will constantly update the scanner location so it will constantly update what it scans.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Getting Started

Decided to go with the uniden 436Hp I just ordered it, by reading the programming guide it appears that entering my zip code it will load automatically PPB/PFB, Is that accurate? And my end goal is to have it sound like the feed on broadcastify. I was proficient in programming the analogs. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RR. Here is something to get started. Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

uncledenny48

436hp

Hey thank you I really appreciate the guide, so this distortion I hear about is that something I will encounter? And it appears that I don't need to program anything...I primarily listen to Portland police and fire. And live in 97216, some of the threads I read say they do experience the distortion and some not. I just hope I didn't throw away $400. That's the reason for all these questions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey thank you I really appreciate the guide, so this distortion I hear about is that something I will encounter? And it appears that I don't need to program anything...I primarily listen to Portland police and fire. And live in 97216, some of the threads I read say they do experience the distortion and some not. I just hope I didn't throw away $400. That's the reason for all these questions.
Looking at the database page for your county, it appears that the trunked system for Portland is incorrect. It's linking to the old depreciated system (no longer in use), instead of the new P25 system.

The P25 system does have a couple of simulcast sites, which can cause distortion. See this Wiki page for more information: Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Location is very important. Sometimes, moving your scanner a foot or two in one direction or the other can make a noticeable difference in reception. Another thing that helps is if you can use a directional antenna to aim towards a specific site.

uncledenny48

436hp

Ok Steve you have answered a lot, I guess my final question is, when I enter in my zip code will it locate Portland police and fire and will I have to enter in the talk groups I want specifically?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok Steve you have answered a lot, I guess my final question is, when I enter in my zip code will it locate Portland police and fire and will I have to enter in the talk groups I want specifically?
If you are scanning using the main database and your location, you can set the service types your want to monitor, such as Law Dispatch, Fore Dispatch, etc, but you can't pick the specific talk groups you want unless you are scanning from a Favorites list. Scanning using location and the main database, you'll get all traffic (channels and talkgroups) for the service types you have enabled. You can lock out specific ones that come up, if you want. Using your location, service types, and a range, you'll likely get talkgroups (and conventional channels) for other agencies, in addition to Portland. For a more complete explanation of how location based scanning works, see How it Works: Location, Location, Location

If, on the other hand, you are scanning using a Favorites list, then you can control exactly what you want. However, that does not mean that you have to manually enter every last system, department, frequency, and talkgroups. You can set your location in Sentinel. Specify a range. Make sure that you have your service types of interest enabled. Don't overlook the fact that much of the radio traffic is on talkgroups labeled other than 'Dispatch'. Also enable the Tac and Talk ones such as 'Law Talk', Fire Tac', etc, including the 'EMS' & 'Multi' prefix ones as well.

Ok, with your location, range, and talkgroups set, and the database updated of course, click on the Edit drop down menu at the top of the screen in Sentinel. Select the item "Add channels in range". That will then pop up a window for you to verify that your range, location, and Service types are correct. Click OK, and it will bring up a box for you to either pick a Favorites list to add them to, or create a new Favorites list. Let's presume that you create a new one.

Now, that may will pull in some things that you don't care to monitor. That's ok, easy to change. Bear with me a minute here.

The other way to create a new Favorite is what I refer to as 'point & shoot'. Click on the USA under the Database in the upper left of the Sentinel screen. Under USA, scroll down & click on your state, Oregon.
Under Oregon, scroll down & select your county, Multnomah.
On the county level, click on the '+' (plus sign) by County Systems.
That expands the list of systems in the county. Right click on the ones you want, and on the pop-up that appears, select "Append to Favorites List". That will then ask you which list to append to, or create a new one. Again, we'll assume it will be a new one.

Do that for each system you want. For some systems, such as a trunked system, that will append more than you likely want, like additional sites and departments. That's ok. We'll deal with that shortly. Append whatever count systems you want. Also look at the contents of the Statewide Systems and Nationwide Systems folders, and append any of those you want.

Depending on which method you used, you have a Favorites list that may have more than you really want. You can pare it down to size easily. Click on the Favorites list, then expand it to see the systems in the right hand pane of Sentinel. You can go through and click on the ones you DON'T want while holding down the <CTRL> (control) key, until you have a group of them selected. You can expand a system, so that you can then select individual departments or sites for removal, as well as expand a Department to trim out a few spurious talkgroups or channels.Then either Right click on one of the highlighted ones, and select "Remove from Favorites List" from the pop-up menu, or hit the Delete key. Repeat the process until you've whittled it down to size. Remember not to get carries away & also delete all the sites on a trunked system, leaving only the talkgroups. That'd disable scanning of the system.

Here's a more extensive set of instructions on that process. That was put together for a system in my state, but the procedure works the same where ever.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Looking at the database page for your county, it appears that the trunked system for Portland is incorrect. It's linking to the old depreciated system (no longer in use), instead of the new P25 system.

The P25 system does have a couple of simulcast sites, which can cause distortion. See this Wiki page for more information: Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Location is very important. Sometimes, moving your scanner a foot or two in one direction or the other can make a noticeable difference in reception. Another thing that helps is if you can use a directional antenna to aim towards a specific site.

I fixed That a few days back

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Hello Neighbor from 97215

Hello uncledenny48,
Just thought I would introduce myself as a neighbor zip code of yours from here on the direct east side PDX of Mt. Tabor. I thought I’d share my experience after a year of tweaking and trying to get a competitor radio to yours, the Whistler WS1080, to work, and really struggling with the Portland Public Safety P25 Phase 1 LSM Simulcast distortion. I’ve tried using only Portland P25 East Simulcast, only Portland P25 West Simulcast, etc., etc. Of course your location and radio are different, which might make success for you. But after all the great tips and things told to me to try as given by the great folks on this forum, I really think where I’m at about my only hope to get clear P25 is to try a Unication G4 or G5. A G4 with Phase 2 firmware right now is going for $565.00.

I might be trying that next. Sorry, don’t mean to deliver bad news, but just letting you know what I’ve spent too many hours trying to get to work. Let me know if I can help you save time by sharing my last year of experience trying to get PPB P25 to work while being located in the middle of a PPB P25 P1 simulcast domain, from a direct lower hillside of Mt. Tabor like where I’m located.

I do think the Unication can do it, and I think it does it well. I want to buy one and find out. And while it is not a full and true scanner, I just want to hear things.

ScottPDX

uncledenny48

Hi Scott

Ya I gotta be honest with you, I actually surprised on how little distortion I have...I bought a different antenna and in most places in my house I get pretty good reception. And even better in the car. I'm on 94the right off 205...not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I'm pretty happy with it.

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Excellent

Hi Scott

Ya I gotta be honest with you, I actually surprised on how little distortion I have...I bought a different antenna and in most places in my house I get pretty good reception. And even better in the car. I'm on 94the right off 205...not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I'm pretty happy with it.

Glad to hear that it’s working for you. I see your zip code physical location is the very next direct east from me, and while you’re still on the same direct east side of Mt. Tabor, your being farther away from Tabor must be helping. If I get a Unication, (or maybe I need to make the jump to Uniden), then I hope to equal your success.

I’m not yet ready to give up.

ScottPDX

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I will be getting a SDS100 soon, but have to say that the 436 and 536 I have do pretty well on at lest 3 different simulcast systems that I travel to. (one is 2 counties from me and the 536 works great at home frorthem, my 996XT gets nothing, just shows signal but no decode) I'm sure the SDS100 will be better, that's why I'm getting one, but very happy with 436/536

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
SDS100

I will be getting a SDS100 soon, but have to say that the 436 and 536 I have do pretty well on at lest 3 different simulcast systems that I travel to. (one is 2 counties from me and the 536 works great at home frorthem, my 996XT gets nothing, just shows signal but no decode) I'm sure the SDS100 will be better, that's why I'm getting one, but very happy with 436/536

Yeah, I’d like to hear your thoughts about the SDS100 when you’ve had time to run it through it’s paces. I have been trying out using SDR-RTL dongles, (what the SDS100 is based on), and had better success than with the WS1080 at my location. I want to try one of those SDS100 out later in the year when they have mature firmware and the battery replacement final solution in production. Some good reports though around the country from the early adopters of the past three or so weeks.

ScottPDX

Status
Not open for further replies.