Salem police freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

juerling

Could anyone help me in figuring out why I can’t hear the Salem police freqs?
I have a BCD 396T which I believe covers the systems used by Salem. However when I download them from
RR I hear nothing. I can get other systems that are farther away in the same freq range, but nothing from Salem. Are they using a newer system that the 396Tncant receive. Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

cinsu

I’m not in Salem so unfortunately won’t be of too much help confirming reception but the 396t should be fully capable of receiving their current Motorola analog trunking system. That’s where they were last time I was there. I would double check your band plan setting and system type.

There is a likelihood they will be moving to P25 in the near future, which the 396t is capable of receiving as well (unless they go encrypted of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
When I was up in Wilsonville last month, I could hear Salem without any problems. I know they were on their trunk system and I think they were also on the Washington County, Clackamas County, Etc TRS? I may be wrong about the second system they were on but I do know that I heard them on two different systems. I'll have to look at my radio, and I did a ton of recording to the SD card while I was there, to find out more. I was listening to some of the recorded traffic yesterday or the day before and I noticed that I had put an alpha tag on the tgid that seemed to be the main Salem PD Dispatch. When I can do a little checking or listen to a little more audio I'll look and see what tgid it was I was hearing most all of the traffic on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mm

Salem PD is still on the non-trunked plain old vanilla FM repeater on 460.475.

95% of the comms are FM with some car-car k-9 units using P25 on very very rare occasions.

PD Overflow traffic is on either 460.075 or 460.175 also FM.

I never listen to Salem PD on any of the area trunk systems because the FM system on 460.475 has such good range.

I can hear The 460.475 freq out to around ~50 mile radius.

Salem fire is still using the Salem 800 trunk system listed in the RR DATABASE, also FM SMARTNET.

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong about it being on a trunk radio system all together? I see on my scanner that I confirmed their UHF channel or 460.475. I know I was picking up Salem OSP also on the Oregon State TRS. But I don't even see them listed for the Washington County, Clackamas County or WCCCA /WCCCN TRS's. And I don't show any indication that I confirmed anything on Salem Tower A or Tower B. I always add an asterisk mark at the end of the alpha tag when I confirm a frequency or user. I'm still learning a lot of the area up there so if I find that I was hearing them on another system, and I know Marion County doesn't have a PS TRS, I will update again. But they were definitely using the UHF dispatch channel.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Okay, my last reply for a while :) I've been looking and it seems that Salem Police and Fire Department or on the Oregon State system. I'm sure that the UHF frequencies for Salem are set up and used kind of like Clackamas County does with their VHF frequencies. But it does look like Salem is on the Oregon State radio system and I can't remember the name of it right now. It looks like the 396xt is it going to be able to do the job unfortunately. I believe this is a Phase 2 TRS but I'm not looking at RadioReference right now.

Brian
COMMSCAN

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Salem is UHF 460.475, 460.075 or 460.175. The OSRP and 800mhz are just patches to the 800 systems, nothing more. I have checked the database and all entries seem to be accurate including GPS data and range. You may not be able to receive them in Albany though.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Salem is UHF 460.475, 460.075 or 460.175. The OSRP and 800mhz are just patches to the 800 systems, nothing more. I have checked the database and all entries seem to be accurate including GPS data and range. You may not be able to receive them in Albany though.
Thanks for the confirmation on them using the conventional UHF frequencies. So it looks like what I took pictures of as I was replaying some of the audio is just the patched top groups on the Oregon State Radio Project. I know that I was receiving them much cleaner on the TRS then I was on the conventional frequencies Wyland Wilsonville anyways.
7d30d12b5c6ab159773824d356d4e284.jpg
18af4118c0fa822fddf3a21dfb6e20f0.jpg

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the typos at the end of the previous message but I didn't get to proofread before I accidentally sent the message.

juerling

Thanks for all the advice. For some reason I cant get the Salem PD even though the Marion, Clackamas and Washington counties SO come in well. Maybe they have more powerful transmitters or the towers are in good locations?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the advice. For some reason I cant get the Salem PD even though the Marion, Clackamas and Washington counties SO come in well. Maybe they have more powerful transmitters or the towers are in good locations?

Using an outdoor antenna I typically receive a very good signal from Salem PD on 460.475 from SW Portland. Occasionally their signal is quite poor, but still copiable. I’m guessing that’s because they sometimes switch to an alternate transmitter site that is lower in elevation, or whose path to me is blocked by a hill. Are you using an outdoor antenna? If not you might need one to receive them from Albany, but you should be able to get at least an OK signal from there.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the confirmation on them using the conventional UHF frequencies. So it looks like what I took pictures of as I was replaying some of the audio is just the patched top groups on the Oregon State Radio Project. I know that I was receiving them much cleaner on the TRS then I was on the conventional frequencies Wyland Wilsonville anyways.
7d30d12b5c6ab159773824d356d4e284.jpg
18af4118c0fa822fddf3a21dfb6e20f0.jpg

It’s odd that in your first picture, your SDS 100 was receiving Salem Fire on the Sugar Pine site. Sugar Pine is in Central Oregon south of Bend. Even if you could receive that site it wouldn’t be carrying radio traffic from Salem. I think it’s actually receiving the Salem West site, which has 769.46875 as an alternate control channel. That same frequency is also the primary CC for Sugar Pine, so I think it’s just a case of ‘mistaken identity’. You could speed up your scanner considerably on the OSRP system by locking out (avoiding) all but the two or three transmitter sites that you can actually receive at a given location. Otherwise it has to scan all of the forty-something sites every time looking for a usable control channel, unless you are using location-based (GPS), or Zip Code based scanning.

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
It’s odd that in your first picture, your SDS 100 was receiving Salem Fire on the Sugar Pine site. Sugar Pine is in Central Oregon south of Bend. Even if you could receive that site it wouldn’t be carrying radio traffic from Salem. I think it’s actually receiving the Salem West site, which has 769.46875 as an alternate control channel. That same frequency is also the primary CC for Sugar Pine, so I think it’s just a case of ‘mistaken identity’. You could speed up your scanner considerably on the OSRP system by locking out (avoiding) all but the two or three transmitter sites that you can actually receive at a given location. Otherwise it has to scan all of the forty-something sites every time looking for a usable control channel, unless you are using location-based (GPS), or Zip Code based scanning.

I didn't have a lot of time programming my radio before leaving and coming up to the Portland area and I'm also legally blind. I definitely do lockout systems or sites I should say when I know an area and I know that I'm not going to be anywhere near specific sites. But I wasn't familiar with where are some of the sites were so I just left them all active since I was going to be going 90 miles to the West towards the Pacific coast and then 90 miles to the east to Mount Hood as well as about 50 miles north while I was there. Thanks for that information and I can likely lockout sites that won't do me any good once I get moved up there and get more familiar with the areas near me. I know that Goat Mountain must be fairly close because on one of the systems it seemed to be the primary site I was receiving traffic on. And the data on the radio screenshot was what came from RadioReference and then I just went back and capitalized everything and did my little fine-tuning like adding S01 for site 1 or d004 for department 4. Of course these are just examples are not actual entries but I look forward to finally living up there and getting to know the area and search foreknew talk groups and frequencies. That's always been part of the fun in radio monitoring for me. Thanks for the reply and the information.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> I definitely do lockout systems or sites I should say when I know an area and I know that I'm not going to be anywhere near specific sites. But I wasn't familiar with where are some of the sites were so I just left them all active since I was going to be going 90 miles to the West towards the Pacific coast and then 90 miles to the east to Mount Hood as well as about 50 miles north while I was there. </snip>

Just for future reference, there’s a good map of all the OSRP sites under the Wiki tab on the OSRP system page in the Radioreference database:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteMap&sid=8010&type=rr

Not sure, but it might be the same map that member ScanRite posted a while back.

Whoever the author is, kudus are very much in order. It’s a very useful map.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Just for future reference, there’s a good map of all the OSRP sites under the Wiki tab on the OSRP system page in the Radioreference database:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteMap&sid=8010&type=rr

Not sure, but it might be the same map that member ScanRite posted a while back.

Whoever the author is, kudus are very much in order. It’s a very useful map.

Thanks for that map I had never seen it before. Definitely helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.