Bucks County PSP O-SKY versus VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3wrx

Part-time resident of Bucks county.

Even with my portable, I can still hear communication on TAC-1, and some of the base frequencies assigned to the PSP in the area.

Anyone know if they are just using VHF partially as a backup or if I'm hearing 100% of the traffic on VHF analog?

Seems to me that since they're a border county with NJ, they're likely to keep VHF for interop with NJ, which uses a hybrid analog/digital Motorola 800MHz trunked SmartNet system state-wide. Which, in turn, will mean they will probably use VHF as much as they can get away with since I keep hearing how poorly this OpenSky system performs.

-j

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
PSP Open Sky/Starnet

Here in Berks County, PA, PSP Troop L Reading and many other area PSP barracks are using their VHF High Band radios as back-up as the O.S. system has alot of dead spots. Since this O.S. system has been implemented the cost has soared from $200 million to almost $400 million. I think the VHF system was one of the best the PSP had since they moved from VHF Low band years ago. What a waste of taxpayers money!

Rich - Reading, PA

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
PSP Dublin and Trevose are only using VHF when units are in areas that have poor coverage on the new system. Most comms are on 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.