pa turnpike

Status
Not open for further replies.

para595

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone had an updated list of the PA turnpike units to include the 8100 units and also if anyone knows what zones are which for example gibsona 8 will call in service for zone 3 and 31 32

captclint

Mentor
I was wondering if anyone had an updated list of the PA turnpike units to include the 8100 units and also if anyone knows what zones are which for example gibsona 8 will call in service for zone 3 and 31 32
Note sure if you are referring to this: Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PA) - The RadioReference Wiki May be of some help, but does not have 8100 units. Once someone id's them, they can be added. The districts by MM are here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1260

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

I'm not really sure how many zones each district is divided into. When a PSP car reports on duty for zone 99, it is a floater, that's all I know for sure...I've never bothered trying to figure it out, although it has crossed my mind once or twice.

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
Gibsonia is the PSP T Barracks for District 1. Their units are IDed by Gibsonia X (usually a low number). 8100 units are usually the maintenance trucks and sometimes the State Farm patrol units. They also can be 8200 at times.
PSP can be identified by the end tone after their transmission. Sounds like a cricket.

This is all I know for now.

Steveradio

Zone 4 & 5 Northeast the #5100 units are State Farm based in Wilkes barre I believe # 8100 - # 8200 are normally tow companys contracted by the pike like #8320 Mechanics Plus for my area..

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
he asking like they report in on duty zone 99, zone 21 etc... I dont know what they consider for zones.

I always hear 99 used for construction details so thats probably what those are for, Usually they give a mile marker also.

Frank

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Gibsonia is the PSP T Barracks for District 1. Their units are IDed by Gibsonia X (usually a low number). 8100 units are usually the maintenance trucks and sometimes the State Farm patrol units. They also can be 8200 at times.
PSP can be identified by the end tone after their transmission. Sounds like a cricket.

This is all I know for now.

Maintenance crews and the State Farm patrols trucks all ID just like the troopers...facility name followed by a number. All of the 8000 series numbers are contracted service facilities that do towing of vehicles off the pike , tire changes, etc. 7000 series units are contracted emergency services (fire and ems companies).

Each of the five districts is broken up into patrol zones. While I have never paid much attention to the numbers, it did always seem that the zone numbers increased sequentially from the west to the east across the state. My guess would be that each zone covers a 10 or so mile stretch of the highway or some segment between two turnaround points (for ease of patrol).

I'll start paying attention to the zone numbers given by troopers when I am listening.

NgoraSweatr

Just some guy, ya know?
Anyone ever think of filing a FOIA with either the PSP or PTC to get a list of the patrol zones? Just an idea.

UPDATE: As for the 8000s and the Patrol Zones, I have taken my own advice and am submitting a PA RTK (Right-To-Know) with the PSP tomorrow. Let's hope they respond positively. As for the 7000 series units, they're in the wiki for PA Turpike Commission.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pennsylvania_Turnpike_Commission_(PA)

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I would send it to the turnpike commission. They handle the dispatching for PSP on the t-pike.

Frank

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone ever file a PA RTK (Right-To-Know) with the turnpike commission? And if so did you get an answer back?

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Gibsonia Tow Companies

The 8000 numbers are the turnpike tow contractors. They have to bid on the contract for the exclusive towing rights for an area on the pike. Since this a a bid process, the name of the tow companies can change. Ferras towing does the towing in the Gibsonia area. AFAIK Ferras is 8110.

That is my speculation after years of listening.

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
The 8000 numbers are the turnpike tow contractors. They have to bid on the contract for the exclusive towing rights for an area on the pike. Since this a a bid process, the name of the tow companies can change. Ferras towing does the towing in the Gibsonia area. AFAIK Ferras is 8110.

That is my speculation after years of listening.

8160 - Weavertown
8120 - Charlie's

Also, Zone 99 is all work zone areas.

NgoraSweatr

Just some guy, ya know?
I did put in the RTK request. PSP sent it back denied saying it would personally identify law enforcement personnel and would be considered an aid to terrorist organizations. Really.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I sent one in without police info. Requested info on tow contactors and fire/ems assignments with mileposts. I received a reply saying it was under review for 30 days.

I cant see how they can deny tow contractor info, maybe fire/ems

daneg

I sent one in without police info. Requested info on tow contactors and fire/ems assignments with mileposts. I received a reply saying it was under review for 30 days.

I cant see how they can deny tow contractor info, maybe fire/ems

Did you submit it to PennDOT or Turnpike?

EMS and whatnot is a bit odd for the turnpike. Special numbers for the units responding. Although I dont think they would know which units cover which areas maybe. Not sure exactly how that works.

DEPUTY11

Did you submit it to PennDOT or Turnpike?

EMS and whatnot is a bit odd for the turnpike. Special numbers for the units responding. Although I dont think they would know which units cover which areas maybe. Not sure exactly how that works.

Oh they know what fire/ems units cover what areas. They call requesting what specific unit to be dispatched and from what fire department.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Yeah I remember seeing that document. Would like to get the mm assignments for all the units. Cant really see how that would be operational sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.