RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum


Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #261 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 4:07 PM
fourthhorseman's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Time to Refresh the Tree of Liberty.....
Posts: 1,989
Default

BYKER..

on the old system TACAIR had its own TG,on the -SPECIAL- list..However,as ive heard the air units carry
multiple radio sets for interop with NJ,Bucks Mont Co,Deleware Co..and the PSP ,,And the USCG too.

they also ride JBand to hear for any call ups or priorities,theyre own band,And the districts.

so at least 2 radios for the city's TRS..and probably 2 for interops..maybe 3 VHF,UHF Lo,UHF Hi..

MARINE unit,,ive heard them key up with BOAT-1 and BOAT-2 callsigns,on JBAND only...
__________________
Thomas's Grumpier German Cousin - Gustav the Railway Gun....

Last edited by fourthhorseman; 01-20-2013 at 4:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #262 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 4:16 PM
fourthhorseman's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Time to Refresh the Tree of Liberty.....
Posts: 1,989
Default

double posted,,apologies..
__________________
Thomas's Grumpier German Cousin - Gustav the Railway Gun....
Reply With Quote
  #263 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 5:34 PM
Theo's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Odessa, FL & Avalon, NJ
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdriver View Post
The Uniden 396T works with the new system for now. I would also expect the 996T to work also. You will need the latest firmware update which came out several years ago. I believe it is 3.02.02. Only problem I am having is that it is not scanning both systems if you put them into one bank. I'll try to put the two systems in separately and see it that works. It does receive both systems however. Will work on my 2096 next and see if I can get that working. For the 369T you need to program the system again with a P25 option and set up the tables using the base freqs.
I assume you mean Custom setting other wise that option won't come up. What base freqs. are you using?

Last edited by Theo; 01-20-2013 at 5:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #264 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 5:56 PM
phillydjdan's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,525
Default

I know for a fact Tac-Air has a VHF radio on hand when in the air. I've heard them talking to Bucks on "Police National" (155.475, no PL)
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol
Reply With Quote
  #265 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 6:36 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: phila
Posts: 5
Default

ok I am completely ignorant in the knowledge to be able to re-program my RS scanner for the new upgrade.....can someone help me re-program it ???
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #266 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 6:53 PM
NUGEN's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFSID23 View Post
ok I am completely ignorant in the knowledge to be able to re-program my RS scanner for the new upgrade.....can someone help me re-program it ???
Call tbe radioshack at aramingo and tioga. 215-426-4863 they can help you.
Reply With Quote
  #267 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 7:08 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7
Default

Download the 396T Scanner Director from Uniden and use that to program the radio. When you program the new system, use the P25 option. Use custom tables and enter the base freqs from RR and push ok. Then add new freqs and talkgroups. You will need to program system 1 and system 2 seperately because the radio will lock on one of the control channels and not scan the other system. A little change from the original programming. I named my systems City of Phila 1 and City of Phila 2. It works fine and I get both the fire and police talkgroups.
Reply With Quote
  #268 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 7:21 PM
fourthhorseman's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Time to Refresh the Tree of Liberty.....
Posts: 1,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
I know for a fact Tac-Air has a VHF radio on hand when in the air. I've heard them talking to Bucks on "Police National" (155.475, no PL)

Yes,,Ive caught them on National with PSP a couple times..

once tracking a wanted fella in north philly,,PSP detectives were serving the warrant
and PPD units were doing the entry..

another was for a pursuit with a PSP trooper,,they broke off in city limits per PPDs no chase
policy..then let tac-air pick it up..
__________________
Thomas's Grumpier German Cousin - Gustav the Railway Gun....
Reply With Quote
  #269 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Danny6569's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Riverside new jersey
Posts: 484
Wink Philadelpia

Ok good question here? so whats zone 1 for fire and ems and public works and stuff? and zone 2 is for police only? im trying to figure out what zone to put with what talk groups???
__________________
Daniel
Reply With Quote
  #270 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
soberbyker's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 322
Default

Ok there is one car numbering I'm not figuring out, what are the "pat" units? I always thought they were placement cars, (ie: Pxxx) in other words a temporary district car while one is down for repair. But it seems the "pat" have a specific purpose now?
__________________
Realistic Pro-2022, RS Pro-197, Uniden R3, Cobra 29LX, Midland Radio® 75-822 Portable/Mobile CB Radio, Uniden 520XL Pro, Magnum 1
Reply With Quote
  #271 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Ok there is one car numbering I'm not figuring out, what are the "pat" units? I always thought they were placement cars, (ie: Pxxx) in other words a temporary district car while one is down for repair. But it seems the "pat" have a specific purpose now?
The "Pat" call sign is exclusively for the shift that works 8pm x 4am. A sort of power shift that uses officers assigned to the midnight x 8 am shift. Not all districts have this shift.


The "Pat" lettering on some vehicles is now being used in place of the "Tom" lettering which dates way back to TFP units. Since these cars (ex. 12T1, 12T2, etc) were used by the 8p x 4a shift, they were renumbered as 12P1, 12P2, etc.

Not to be confused with the Traffic Units and also Training Bureau vehicles which also have a T in them.
Reply With Quote
  #272 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
W2GLD's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 862
Default

All radios in this system have the ability to roam based on zone controller status; therefore, I would program all talk groups in both systems; therefore, if the system goes into failure mode, you'll never miss out on the action.

That said, typically Police will remain on Zone 2 and Fire/Municipal Services will be on Zone 1; there will also be several cross-over talkgroups such as J-Band, M-Band, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny6569 View Post
Ok good question here? so whats zone 1 for fire and ems and public works and stuff? and zone 2 is for police only? im trying to figure out what zone to put with what talk groups???
Reply With Quote
  #273 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 2:59 PM
jcardani's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL & Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 1,242
Default

I just looked over at the database and found all of the special unit talkgroups posted there. Well, it was only a matter of time.

The PPD already questioned a police officer friend of mine yesterday shortly after several of the sensitive groups were first posted in the database. There are commanders there who want all the police talkgroups encrypted, and this is the reason why. This only give them more reason to do so.

I am powerless to request these be removed, due to the policy of Radio Reference, but people should think things out before sending this information. Furthermore, since the talkgroups are strapped encrypted, I wonder if these talkgroups have been verified to be accurate?

I am not looking for an argument here but I just want to state the facts as I know it.

respectfully,

Joe


Quote:
Originally Posted by rgchristy View Post
I just wanted to put this out there for everyone to consider. I would highly recommend that we do not post the sensitive Philly talkgroups in the database and remove the ones that have been posted. For those of you that are new to the Philly system and may not be aware of it, there has been a long-standing agreement between us and the Philly PD about not posting sensitive information regarding the radio system. Most importantly for their safety, we have to remember that this is just a hobby for us, but it is there lives that they risk for us each day. I'm sure that any of us out there that are current for former LEOs, can understand this. Some of us have already received calls from 8th & Race regarding this, so I hope that everyone will consider this message. The Philly PD have the ability to encrypt the entire system at any given time, but have chosen not to. I hope that we will respect their wishes.

Take Care,

Rich C
__________________
Joe Cardani, W3FOY
Owner, PhillyScanner Yahoo Group and Greater Orlando Communications Group
Reply With Quote
  #274 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 3:16 PM
Highpockets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardani View Post
I just looked over at the database and found all of the special unit talkgroups posted there. Well, it was only a matter of time.

The PPD already questioned a police officer friend of mine yesterday shortly after several of the sensitive groups were first posted in the database. There are commanders there who want all the police talkgroups encrypted, and this is the reason why. This only give them more reason to do so.

I am powerless to request these be removed, due to the policy of Radio Reference, but people should think things out before sending this information. Furthermore, since the talkgroups are strapped encrypted, I wonder if these talkgroups have been verified to be accurate?

I am not looking for an argument here but I just want to state the facts as I know it.

respectfully,

Joe
I know how you feel about this, but it seems funny the PD keeps an eye on RR and right away wants to encrypt, seems to me the commanders wanted to encrypt for a long time and are just looking for anything to do so. And RR is the only reason they want to encrypt, hard to believe. I'll take your word on what you posted, but I think there is more to it then just RR.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #275 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 3:31 PM
jcardani's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL & Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 1,242
Default

Hi Steve,

This has been going on for a while, it's not the first time. Sensitive groups were posted in the forum and database but were removed. In fact, there was a gentleman's agreement among the admins for a very long time not to post sensitive PPD talkgroups on RR. Several years ago Lindsay and I discussed this very issue.

The Intelligence division at the PAB monitors the RR forums and database very closely. I know that for a fact.

But again, I am powerless.
__________________
Joe Cardani, W3FOY
Owner, PhillyScanner Yahoo Group and Greater Orlando Communications Group
Reply With Quote
  #276 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 3:37 PM
Highpockets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardani View Post
Hi Steve,

This has been going on for a while, it's not the first time. Sensitive groups were posted in the forum and database but were removed. In fact, there was a gentleman's agreement among the admins for a very long time not to post sensitive PPD talkgroups on RR. Several years ago Lindsay and I discussed this very issue.

The Intelligence division at the PAB monitors the RR forums and database very closely. I know that for a fact.

But again, I am powerless.
If there is an agreement, email the TG's to Lindsay and I'm sure he'll honor it and remove them.

Our town lost out to the Line Officers, the Chief even put an article in the paper saying they wouldn't encrypt the day to day ops and looks like he lost or at least gave in, to bad, the local fire in dumpster, fight in bar calls in my view could be left in the clear. Oh well, s--t happens. I hope it works out....
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #277 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 3:48 PM
jcardani's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL & Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
If there is an agreement, email the TG's to Lindsay and I'm sure he'll honor it and remove them.

Our town lost out to the Line Officers, the Chief even put an article in the paper saying they wouldn't encrypt the day to day ops and looks like he lost or at least gave in, to bad, the local fire in dumpster, fight in bar calls in my view could be left in the clear. Oh well, s--t happens. I hope it works out....
Steve, there *was* and agreement among prior admins, things have changed. There are new admins for PA since this this was last discussed. I don't think Lindsay would be so gracious this time around.
__________________
Joe Cardani, W3FOY
Owner, PhillyScanner Yahoo Group and Greater Orlando Communications Group
Reply With Quote
  #278 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 3:58 PM
Highpockets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardani View Post
Steve, there *was* and agreement among prior admins, things have changed. There are new admins for PA since this this was last discussed. I don't think Lindsay would be so gracious this time around.
No harm in trying Joe, or at least try to get your point across to the local Admin, they may understand, it's better then throwing in the towel without a fight so to speak.

I even talked to the mayor of my town, he said he would check into it, and never got back to me. Some of the young guys don't encrypt, their family likes to listen, alot of them are kids of my friends and kids that listened when they were young.

Good luck!
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #279 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 4:04 PM
jcardani's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL & Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 1,242
Default

Thanks Steve!
__________________
Joe Cardani, W3FOY
Owner, PhillyScanner Yahoo Group and Greater Orlando Communications Group
Reply With Quote
  #280 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 6:30 PM
NUGEN's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 130
Default

If you post sensitive talkgroups on here you are endangering officer's lives. Not a smart move in my opinion! Knowledge is free but it can be dangerous in the wrong person's hands. Some people know HOW to build bombs, they just choose not to. Then there are those who know HOW to put Narcotics on scanners but opt out of it. This very issue has come many of times. I flat out refuse to put Strike Force, Vice, etc.. on anyone's radio if they are not a police officer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions