RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Phillydjdan, I am trying to get up and running. I sent you a private message regarding a Win500 file. Are you able to email me a copy of the file? Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2013, 1:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

My apologies, Puma, didn't see that I had a new PM. E-Mail sent
Old 01-15-2013, 7:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default some districts on the new system this morning

16th & 19th, 14th & 35th, hearing calls for these four (paired) districts on the new system this morning, 8:50 AM.

ETA: Just heard J band and the 24th & 26th on there as well.

Last edited by soberbyker; 01-15-2013 at 7:58 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Interesting. Wonder if they are just for the day or will stay up until the switchover...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Interesting. Wonder if they are just for the day or will stay up until the switchover...
I just happened to start hearing them when I turned the scanner on, no idea, but now I am hearing a wildcard doing checks and tests with some firehouses and streets department and other public works departments.

The PD districts that are on the new system today are fully operating on it, dispatching calls, they are silent on the old system.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker
Quote:

I just happened to start hearing them when I turned the scanner on, no idea, but now I am hearing a wildcard doing checks and tests with some firehouses and streets department and other public works departments.

The PD districts that are on the new system today are fully operating on it, dispatching calls, they are silent on the old system.
Really? Thats REALLY interesting. Maybe those districts are on there for good. I bet they only switched a few over to test the waters, if you will, before putting everyone on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 2:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For the most part the quality of the sound is the same, once in a while J band is broken up a tad.

Other than wild cards here and there, I'm getting full coverage on the three systems plus J band.
Old 01-15-2013, 3:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

More 'wildcard' activity, testing with various units/places around the city, some are responding loud and clear "no antenna"?
Old 01-15-2013, 3:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

PhillyDjDan:

Did you ever get your Pro-96/Pro-2096 working on the new system using Win500? If so, what tables did you end up using?

Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 4:57 PM

When I am monitoring the system, I see DG and not D2. Are they in true phase 2 yet?
Old 01-15-2013, 5:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Montco, they are not true phase 2, and are not expected to be for some time. Older radios must be replaced first.

W2GLD, no, i have not. Its weird. My pro-197 works great, and picks up the control channel upwards of 90%. My pro-96 only decodes the control channel at 10% or less, even with my best antenna connected to it. The data audio does not sound the same, either. Its almost as if its off frequency. Oh well, once fire switches, the 96 goes on ebay lol. The psr800 then becomes my mobile scanner. Im gonna hate the lack of volume and battery life, though
Old 01-15-2013, 6:21 PM

I'm still hearing things fine in the northeast and medic fine on the old system. The 18th is supposed to be the changeover for the 2nd and 15th districts. From what I understand all unbidden scanners are going to be obsolete correct?
Old 01-15-2013, 6:37 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Police transition began on Monday.

Far NE, NE, Central, and NW switch over on 1/16.

That's what I was told.
Old 01-15-2013, 7:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrussellpa View Post
Police transition began on Monday.

Far NE, NE, Central, and NW switch over on 1/16.

That's what I was told.
Today was the first PD I've heard on the new system, yesterday everything was still on the old system to the best of my knowledge, I only listened for a couple hours though.

16th & 19 (west), 24th & 26th (east), 14th & 35th (north), and J band.
Old 01-15-2013, 7:30 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

It looks like the new J Band is NOT rebroadcasting on the SEPTA PD frequency at the moment. I wonder if SEPTA is going to restore that with a new radio or not. I am hearing all the districts Byker mentioned. It kinda seems a little choppy for me in the Northeast, but I can make out most of it. My Pro-197 shows the signal strength fluctuating quite a bit, from 3 bars to full bars. I am also hearing wildcard TG 4007, sounds like radio techs.
Old 01-15-2013, 7:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo92593 View Post
I'm still hearing things fine in the northeast and medic fine on the old system. The 18th is supposed to be the changeover for the 2nd and 15th districts. From what I understand all unbidden scanners are going to be obsolete correct?
Eventually, if/when the new system switches to TDMA modulation you'd only be able to follow with a GRE PSR800, currently the only scanner to have TDMA capabilities. From what I've been hearing here on RR switching to TDMA on this new system isn't going to happen anytime soon though.
Old 01-15-2013, 7:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
It looks like the new J Band is NOT rebroadcasting on the SEPTA PD frequency at the moment. I wonder if SEPTA is going to restore that with a new radio or not. I am hearing all the districts Byker mentioned. It kinda seems a little choppy for me in the Northeast, but I can make out most of it. My Pro-197 shows the signal strength fluctuating quite a bit, from 3 bars to full bars. I am also hearing wildcard TG 4007, sounds like radio techs.
J band is on the old system and new system for PPD though.

I'm just outside west Philly and all is just as clear as the old system with a little choppiness on J band on the new system.
Old 01-15-2013, 8:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I can pretty much confirm that TG 4007 is radio techs. Most of the talk seems to be in reference to system glitches and technical stuff.

To clarify, I was referring to the J Band rebroadcast that SEPTA PD always had in the background on 502.6875 MHz. It may be fully operational on the old trunked system and new trunked system, but SEPTA PD is not rebroadcasting it like they used to. Hopefully that is just a temporary issue, and they have not taken it down for good.

As far as I have heard, the Uniden 396 and 996 should be able to track the new system in it's current state. Once they switch it to true Phase 2, then they will go silent. I could be wrong, so please don't quote me on that. If you are looking for a long-term solution for monitoring Philly, I would suggest getting a PSR-800, as it is currently the only model available that will decode Phase 2, and no other manufacturers have any plans to make a scanner that can anytime soon.

FYI, just connected a better antenna to my Pro-197 and now the new system is crystal clear

EDIT: Sounds like the radio techs on 4007 are from Motorola, not the city, and are talking about they have hotel rooms. Also referencing several transmitter sites (Southampton, Police Academy, Ford Rd, etc), talking about turning sites on, etc.

Last edited by phillydjdan; 01-15-2013 at 8:50 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 8:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I can pretty much confirm that TG 4007 is radio techs. Most of the talk seems to be in reference to system glitches and technical stuff.

To clarify, I was referring to the J Band rebroadcast that SEPTA PD always had in the background on 502.6875 MHz. It may be fully operational on the old trunked system and new trunked system, but SEPTA PD is not rebroadcasting it like they used to. Hopefully that is just a temporary issue, and they have not taken it down for good.

As far as I have heard, the Uniden 396 and 996 should be able to track the new system in it's current state. Once they switch it to true Phase 2, then they will go silent. I could be wrong, so please don't quote me on that. If you are looking for a long-term solution for monitoring Philly, I would suggest getting a PSR-800, as it is currently the only model available that will decode Phase 2, and no other manufacturers have any plans to make a scanner that can anytime soon.

FYI, just connected a better antenna to my Pro-197 and now the new system is crystal clear
Oh I understood, I just hadn't mentioned J was on both until then, Personally I don't like J & M broadcasting on SEPTA, especially when the SEPTA dispatch is talking over a J or M broadcast, it's annoying.

I use my Pro-197 connected to a magnetic mobile antenna outside on my windowsill does a lot better than the stock antenna did.

I have one other scanner, a Pro-2022, can't monitor Philly, it's set to listen to DELCO. I'm hoping other TDMA scanner come out before Philly makes the full switch to phase II TDMA, at least to have a choice, I'm hearing both good and bad about the PSR 800.

Techs sound like they are about to call it a night, heading back to their hotels.

Old 01-15-2013, 9:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yeah, its a mixed bag with the 800. with the 800 mhz duckie it works great, audio quality is good. The recording feature is also handy. The 2 things i dont like are the fact that the volume isnt that loud, and that it eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake.