York 700.. Anything new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Ok..I looked and didn't see, so I'm asking..
Is there a separate page for the York 700 system?

All I see is the 500 system..

Looking for TG layout etc

ocguard

There are rumors in the EMS world in York County that we could be receiving our new radios by winter's end. It's possible that the two systems (500mhz and 700mhz) will run side-by-side and networked until all users are switched over.

Construction was recently completed of a new tower structure at the Fox43 studios on Queen Street -- their old tower, which is quite old, hosted a 500mhz site. There is also a new tower constructed in Brogue, which appears to possibly be a state tower, but will also host a York County 700mhz site.

I've seen intermittent control channel signals on 700mhz from my home in Dallastown, but does not appear to be close, so probably not simulcasting yet.

I was under the impression that there would be more site additions/changes, but it appears that everything stays the same with the following exceptions:
1. Fulton site (Lancaster County side of Susquehanna River east of Delta) is now part of the south simulcast instead of stand-alone
2. Addition of Brogue site to the south simulcast (much-needed, complete dead zone on portable east of New Bridgeville on UHF)

My hopes were for a site at the Whiteford tower in Maryland (for the Delta dead zone), which could be resolved by making Fulton part of the south simulcast; and making the Red Lion site (which, for UHF, is directional southeast down the Route 74 corridor) a part of the south simulcast instead of central, but this may be resolved by the addition of the Brogue site. I also assumed they'd add something in the East Berlin area, as I'm told portables are spotty there, too.

sbk1982

There are rumors in the EMS world in York County that we could be receiving our new radios by winter's end. It's possible that the two systems (500mhz and 700mhz) will run side-by-side and networked until all users are switched over.

Construction was recently completed of a new tower structure at the Fox43 studios on Queen Street -- their old tower, which is quite old, hosted a 500mhz site. There is also a new tower constructed in Brogue, which appears to possibly be a state tower, but will also host a York County 700mhz site.

I've seen intermittent control channel signals on 700mhz from my home in Dallastown, but does not appear to be close, so probably not simulcasting yet.

I was under the impression that there would be more site additions/changes, but it appears that everything stays the same with the following exceptions:
1. Fulton site (Lancaster County side of Susquehanna River east of Delta) is now part of the south simulcast instead of stand-alone
2. Addition of Brogue site to the south simulcast (much-needed, complete dead zone on portable east of New Bridgeville on UHF)

My hopes were for a site at the Whiteford tower in Maryland (for the Delta dead zone), which could be resolved by making Fulton part of the south simulcast; and making the Red Lion site (which, for UHF, is directional southeast down the Route 74 corridor) a part of the south simulcast instead of central, but this may be resolved by the addition of the Brogue site. I also assumed they'd add something in the East Berlin area, as I'm told portables are spotty there, too.

1) Rumor about radios in the EMS world could be close to accurate.

2) All sites have been up and simulcasting for a few months now.

3) It's a system upgrade, the old and new will operate as 1 system until all users are migrated to the new.

4) Brogue is a state site, County is co-located.

5) Drive testing is well underway.

ocguard

1) Rumor about radios in the EMS world could be close to accurate.

2) All sites have been up and simulcasting for a few months now.

3) It's a system upgrade, the old and new will operate as 1 system until all users are migrated to the new.

4) Brogue is a state site, County is co-located.

5) Drive testing is well underway.

Thanks for the updates.

Before the 700mhz upgrade was voted on, the county was entertaining the idea of adding a T-band site at Whiteford. Is this needed/being considered for 700mhz? Or will the Fulton site becoming part of the simulcast resolve the Delta issues?

sbk1982

Thanks for the updates.

Before the 700mhz upgrade was voted on, the county was entertaining the idea of adding a T-band site at Whiteford. Is this needed/being considered for 700mhz? Or will the Fulton site becoming part of the simulcast resolve the Delta issues?

Not aware of any discussions involving the Whiteford site. Coverage testing is underway. See what happens...

Russell623

york p25 phase one system

I am looking for the list to down load the phase one system. My dept just bought a duty car and the scanner in it will do phase 1 . We looking to program it till we acquire a new scanner for it. But the only thing listed is the phase 2 info

ocguard

I am looking for the list to down load the phase one system. My dept just bought a duty car and the scanner in it will do phase 1 . We looking to program it till we acquire a new scanner for it. But the only thing listed is the phase 2 info

The current talk group list apparently won't change. Download the desired talk groups and the 500mhz site(s) for phase 1 monitoring. One 700mhz sites start carrying calls, they'll be phase 2.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
ITS HAPPENED.. YCDES has changed the talkgroups on the 700 MHz system.. All appear to be 5100 series (which is not in line with the PA plan for ISSI).. None of the 1200 series (which was Yorks ISSI series) are good for PD

ocguard

I had heard from several semi-reliable sources that, upon transitioning to the 700mhz system, talk group IDs would remain the same, for easy transition and simultaneous usage of both RF sub-systems during transition (talk groups would be carried on both systems as needed). My guess is, being largely unfamiliar with Harris P25 specifics, that when a talk group is activated in the system controller ("core" for batwing aficionados), it must be selected as either phase-1 or phase-2, and this selection is forced system-wide, on all RF sub-systems. This would create a problem for York County, since 500mhz terminal units are almost exclusively phase-1 only, and the 700mhz RF sub-systems have half of the channel capacity as the 500mhz side. A phase-1 selection would overwhelm channel capacity on 700mhz, and a phase-2 selection would disclude legacy subscriber units. Loading 700mhz users onto new talk groups specifically on the 700mhz side would eliminate the system trying to force talk groups across the two bands (and phases). Maybe this isn't the reason. I don't know. Maybe a whole new system controlled was installed. No, this couldn't be the case, since this was just an "upgrade" and not a new build-out.

I do know that users using the 500mhz side can no longer monitor users who have transitioned to 700mhz talk groups from their existing terminal units, and vice versa. I can't speak to interop between the two disciplines (police to fire/EMS), because we aren't told if there are any talk group that can be accessed from both RF systems in the event of a full-scale incident or even routine interop. Many EMS agencies historically monitor their respective police agencies' dispatch and chit-chat talk groups for reasons that should seem obvious. This can no longer happen.

Field users are uninformed, changes and implementation is occurring in illogical order, and, while day-to-day function is mostly routine (with small changes), it's inarguable that the full benefit of a county-wide system is currently intangible in the current state of transition. I'm sure the suggested answer if such an inquiry were made would be some sort of console patch. Because, in 2017, console patches WITHIN a single P25 system seems perfectly reasonable for critical incident interop.

But what do I know, I'm just a paramedic.

EDIT: I'm guessing that, since DCR_inc mentioned ISSI, that there are two controllers running. Still not sure if two RF subsystems connected by ISSI must choose a global modulation, or if each RFSS can operate in it's own.

Last edited:

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
YCDES should have the plan in their records from the initial transition from Low band to 500 MHz.. The plan was implemented in cooperation with PEMA and the state of Pa telecommunications department.

sbk1982

YCDES should have the plan in their records from the initial transition from Low band to 500 MHz.. The plan was implemented in cooperation with PEMA and the state of Pa telecommunications department.

ISSI didn't exist 10 years ago. Think you have some things mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Scott,
Once again, you prove your misunderstanding of what is reality..
Look thru Paul Zimmerer's or Robert Braggs records and you will find the ISSI plan that was agreed on. It might even be in Phil Teffengers files..
But You probably don't know who those folks are, because "its above my pay grade"

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
NIST was showing ISSI back in 1993. That is more than 10 years ago. But that's OLD math not common core..

Status
Not open for further replies.