1620 AM Quakertown, PA Radio Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Found a 10 watt community radio station, WQYV-920, broadcasting community information for Quakertown, PA residents on 1620 kHz. Distance from my QTH is about 25 miles as the crow flies.

The AM band from about 1600 - 1710 kHz has a number of low-powered stations licensed for highway info or emergency alerts. If you are near a highway or in a vehicle take a listen.

imported_bds2

Found a 10 watt community radio station, WQYV-920, broadcasting community information for Quakertown, PA residents on 1620 kHz. Distance from my QTH is about 25 miles as the crow flies.

The AM band from about 1600 - 1710 kHz has a number of low-powered stations licensed for highway info or emergency alerts. If you are near a highway or in a vehicle take a listen.
I was actually able to hear that station in State College, PA last week - 134 miles as the crow flies. It was fighting with another station on the same frequency from the NY State Thruway near Albany. Sunset is a good time to try listening for these low-powered stations in that frequency range.

Brett W3SWL

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Yes that is a good catch at that mileage. Here the reception varies from day to day. At night there are distant AM stations that cover up the Quakertown station.

I also check 1600 - 1710 in 10 kHz segments as I hear other TIS/HAR/Community stations from the Pennsylvania turnpike and other locations but you have to listen for their station ID which does not come that often.

One way to spot these stations is that some transmit local NOAA b'casts when not making announcements. Some also transmit short differing tones at the beginning.

Have fun DX'ing the upper AM band, it's loads fun. 73's.

Status
Not open for further replies.