Purchase Philadelphia Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to the Philadelphia area and recently purchased a BCD436HP scanner. I am not hearing much on it, perhaps because I didn't program it properly. I don't know of any store that will help me, or any club, meetup, etc. So, I was wondering if a fellow enthusiast might be interested in sharing their sentinel file as a zip. This way I could just copy the contents on to my sd card. I'm sure some there are some great frequencies out there that are not listed on RadioRef, and in the crowd sourcing, crowd sharing world we live in I was hoping someone could assist me. I live in Philadelphia.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm sure some there are some great frequencies out there that are not listed on RadioRef, and in the crowd sourcing, crowd sharing world we live in I was hoping someone could assist me. I live in Philadelphia.

The RadioReference database is the go-to clearinghouse for sharing crowdsourced frequency data. With the possible exception of NXDN and DMR systems, most everything is already going to be in the database, especially in the public safety and law enforcement categories.

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to listen to pretty much anything at this point. I am new to the area and just haven't had any success getting much other than SEPTA. If anyone would be interested in sharing their sentinel data file I could at least know if it is my settings, or my device.

radio3353

If nobody responds to your request, for $15 you can get a 180 day premium RR subscription and download the Philly system into your software if you don't want to do the programming yourself.

A caveat...Philly uses a simulcast system and it may not play well with your 436 (missed and spotty reception.) It will all depend on your location. Also, the Philly system is had to pick up any more than a few miles outside of the city because of the way they have their antennas pointed. YMMV. The good news is is that it is mostly free of encryption. Welcome to the Philly area.

Last edited:

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
I have access to RR through sentinel I thought it was maintained and updated. Isn't it? I just did an update.

My concern relates to your second paragraph and that is why I am asking for someone to share their data file. I hardly get anything in the NW of philly and I really don't know if it is the way I programmed my scanner or not. I basically just pulled data out and added it to various favorites. When I look online I see that there are all sorts of potential problems with respect to simulcast (zone 1 and 2). I read recently that I was supposed to separate the two ... and I don't really understand what that means.

Thanks for the welcome! NYC is much easier to scan. ;-)

mule1075

Feed Provider
I have access to RR through sentinel I thought it was maintained and updated. Isn't it? I just did an update.

My concern relates to your second paragraph and that is why I am asking for someone to share their data file. I hardly get anything in the NW of philly and I really don't know if it is the way I programmed my scanner or not. I basically just pulled data out and added it to various favorites. When I look online I see that there are all sorts of potential problems with respect to simulcast (zone 1 and 2). I read recently that I was supposed to separate the two ... and I don't really understand what that means.

It is maintained and updated save your money. Make sure you have all the service types enabled you want to listen to.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Simulcast

Try moving the radio around and maybe you'll find the sweet spot for Philly's P25.
watch the signal strength and ensure you see DAT down in right corner of the display to be sure your picking up the Control Channel, If you don't see it, try another spot.
If you appended from the Sentinel database your programming is likely correct..

radio3353

First of all, YES, NYC is easier to scan since they don't have the complex simulcast trunking system many big cities and townships seem to be switching to.

More importantly, how far are you from Philly? That alone could explain your reception difficulty for the reason I previously mentioned. I am about 9 miles NW of far NE Philly and I cannot lock onto a control channel with any of my radios even when using an attic mounted antenna (omni-directional, not a yagi.) When I am mobile I have to be practically in the city to pick up anything. And even then I have to be using my Unication G4 to eliminate simulcast distortion.

Regarding zones, Philly's system is divided into two zones as you mentioned. One zone is for police only. The other zone is for fire and all other city agencies. I don't recall which zone is which. I have only fire TG's programmed into my G4. Fire and EMS TG's are separated between North and South with Lehigh Ave the dividing line.

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your responses! I've put all the frequencies into my BCD436HP. Is there a need to separate things (e.g., zone 1 vs zone 2), or is it safe to just use sentinel to copy them into my scanner as they appear? I had read a thread which suggested I separate zone 1 and zone 2 but I don't understand what that means. Similarly, am I supposed to fiddle with the scanner settings (e.g. digital threshold, etc.)?

Edit
~~~~
radio3353: I posted before I saw your reply. I am in the Mt. Airy area of Philadelphia

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
You do not need to mess with the programming. It should work without modifications.
If you're using the stock antenna, that's the first thing I'd look into upgrading.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
For what it is worth- when I programmed Philly into my 436 I put zone 1 and 2 into each bank I have things set up in even though police occupy one zone and fire and every other city service are in the other. I have not had many issues with simulcast when I am in the city and have the scanner in my car with my Larsen tri- band antenna.

There is one city tower right behind engine 9's station at Germantown and Carpenter Lane and another on the other side of the Wissahickon in the Andorra section of the city.

For starters you could use the zip code entry and check off the services you wish to listen to and then hit avoid on things you do not want to listen to. Check out the instructions for using avoid.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your responses! I've put all the frequencies into my BCD436HP. Is there a need to separate things (e.g., zone 1 vs zone 2), or is it safe to just use sentinel to copy them into my scanner as they appear? I had read a thread which suggested I separate zone 1 and zone 2 but I don't understand what that means. Similarly, am I supposed to fiddle with the scanner settings (e.g. digital threshold, etc.)?

Edit
~~~~
radio3353: I posted before I saw your reply. I am in the Mt. Airy area of Philadelphia

I would import using Sentinel and not make changes until familiar with the programming.

At least keep a Sentinel Version of the system and a separate customized Version in case you make a mistake..

That's what I'd do anyway.. :eek:

lou9155

sentinel is a breeze to use....load up on the systems and see whats active and interesting..use the RRDB to research the particulars for your area...then tweek your programming as often as you want..you can always change your mind on what you want in your FLs

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, I am outside West Philadelphia and am using a Radio Shack Pro-197 sitting on my desk with a magnetic mobile antenna near a window and I pick up Philly fairly well, a little choppy at times but I have heard every district with this set up. If you are using your radio in one spot I'd suggest trying another antenna set-up, the one that came with my radio wasn't picking up much at all, but the mobile one does.

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all these helpful comments. I am now comfortable assuming that the problem isn't my scanner, or my programming but rather it is my location. I'll keep trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.