Need Advice on Scanner Purchase for PA Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteis

Made an impulse buy at Walmart the other night and bought a $79. Whistler WS1010WP. After looking at the database here I noticed that PA is moving to P25 Phase 2, and that there are scanners capable of this technology.

My question is that in Elk County, about the only state agencies I'll get is State Police and PennDOT. Will scanners such as Uniden's BC436HP or something similar (P25 phase 2 capable), pick up these agencies? Or are they scrambled?

If someone here can do a quick look at Elk County's database, they'll be able to tell me if a $400 scanner is a waste of money or not. If PSP is not accessible now or in the future, what I have is probably all I'll need near me. Any advice what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
So far, all the state police talkgroups on the new Phase 2 system are encrypted. There are dozens of PSP talkgroups noted in the wiki, but nothing is confirmed and,so, is not listed in the database.

PennDOT and the Game Commission are both clear, but migration is slow. Other agencies will appear as funding allows...encryption is an agency by agency choice. Areas covered by PSP troops C and F will be in the final phase of the deployment for the new system, so you have a few years to see what agencies end up clear vs encrypted elsewhere in the state.

A regular analog scanner should be good for most county/local public safety in your region. Warren County has announced official plans to jump on board the new state system later this year. Everything else around you should be simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.