City of Allentown,Pa upgrading to a Harris P25 phase ll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacker_1

Premium Subscriber
The city of Allentown signed a deal with Harris to upgrade the end of life EDACS system to a 800mhz 10 channel Simulcast 2 site radio system . The 2 site are build ant they are in testing stage . New Mobile radios and postables are being installed psesently and cut over is expected. Late October all police and EMS talk groups are expected to be encrypted. Presently their are over 1000 radios between the city and county .

jim202

Another City tossing away money on a Harris System. When will people learn.

Let us really know why your so down on Harris. Might be interesting to know why you feel this way.

Unlike many of us that do rub elbows with the public safety radio systems, I am always interested in getting feedback from others.

Matakovich1

WellI have seen Harris promise the world to places to get their contract for a radio system. Look at the PA Open Sky system. How much money has been put into that system to get it to work. Im Las vegas, NV a few years ago Harris sold LVMPD and the County on the Desert Sky system. $40+ millon dollars spent on they system. It was in service for anout 2-3 years. They system only worked half of the time. Never worked if you where in a building. Lots of dead spots in the area. Just a few feet left or right ment the differance on hiting a tower or not. There is rumor to be boby cam video of an officer trying to call for back up during a chase and all he got was the busy I cant connect tone. At one point he tosses the radio at the suspect. The Harris system came close several times of costing officers their lives. The officers said they had better luck with the outdated VHF system the had before harris.
Harris continued to say the system was working fine and there where no issues with it and it was nothing but the officers being trained to use the radio. LVMPD went to the county with all the issues and complaints from officers and said something has to give. The county realized they had been taken to the bank by Harris. Motorola was given the contract to replace the system. Officer safety is no longer a concern. They system works everywhere.

Matakovich1

Well all the radios had Harris on them and the check was wrote to Harris. Then when you keyed up you got the person your are trying to reach has gone beyond the service area. I think the dumped them in Lake Mead to raise the water level.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
Pa investigation

Auditor General Eugene DePasquale today said he will soon begin an audit of the recently-awarded deal to replace the unreliable and ineffective statewide radio system that failed Pennsylvania State Police and first responders over the past 20 years.

“The time is right to take a deep dive to ensure Pennsylvania gets it right this time. Our first responders and taxpayers cannot afford a repeat of the previous two-decade boondoggle contract that failed miserably during the Eric Frein manhunt,” he said.

https://www.paauditor.gov/press-rel...le-launches-review-of-statewide-radio-network

mule1075

Feed Provider
Auditor General Eugene DePasquale today said he will soon begin an audit of the recently-awarded deal to replace the unreliable and ineffective statewide radio system that failed Pennsylvania State Police and first responders over the past 20 years.

“The time is right to take a deep dive to ensure Pennsylvania gets it right this time. Our first responders and taxpayers cannot afford a repeat of the previous two-decade boondoggle contract that failed miserably during the Eric Frein manhunt,” he said.

https://www.paauditor.gov/press-rel...le-launches-review-of-statewide-radio-network
Absolutely nothing to do with the Allentown system.

Let us really know why your so down on Harris. Might be interesting to know why you feel this way.

Unlike many of us that do rub elbows with the public safety radio systems, I am always interested in getting feedback from others.

I'm in Parma Ohio the City Of Parma has a P25 Harris 800MHZ Radio System its NEVER worked right from DAY 1 and even today still works like crap don't remember when the city went P25
Found out from a friend who Owns a Radio Shop said the City was looking into going to Cleveland's Motorola Radio System soon its a 800 MHZ Phase-1 System.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Was hearing what sounded like it could be streets department earlier today.

Talkgroups

Just heard more. 412 maybe Water Treatment?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
FYI, I submitted the Allentown P25 System yesterday. It is now in the database. Not all frequencies are there yet. Only the CC and VC's that I had logged with Pro96Com. No TGID's as of yet, I haven't heard enough to make any type of call on who is who.

JimBobTerp

Hi
I have a question about NEW Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2.. I'm looking to upgrade my police scanner to a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 maybe after Christmas or spring/summer time 2019. My question is this on this link Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner | Scanner Master It shows I can pay $75.00 extra to add ProVoice Upgrade. Police Dept for City Of Allentown,Pennsylvania has gone to ProVoice. So if I add that to my scanner do u think I will be able to monitor and hear active from them?? Thanks to who ever can help me with this question.

James

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry too much about the Provoice. APD is fully encrypted, so the upgrade will do you no good. APD will be switching to the new Harris P25 Phase 2 system and Provoice will be depreciated.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
From what I was hearing today, it sounds like Public Works has made the move. Sounded like Streets was out doing leaf cleanup and the street sweepers were following. Also thought I heard Sewer/Water as well. I need some time to try to match the TGID to the department. Work has been busy

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I monitor Harrisonburg/ Rockingham County's (Va) system. Last week we switched from ProVoice to a Harris P25 Phase II Simulcast system. The x36 scanners are doing a real decent job picking the new system up.

How does it look for scanners in Allentown? Also our TGID numbers from the old system carried over to the new system. Made things a LOT easier for scanner programming. Just wondering if you are seeing the same?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I've only been using the SDS100 on the system. Which is doing very well. I'll have to try the x36's and see. Looks like all new numbering for TGID in Allentown at least what I've been getting so far.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I've been running Allentown on the latest fastlane release of DSD+ for the past few days. I'm seeing "patch/Simulselect supergroup" then a TGID. What's a super group? Never seen this before, but, until P2 was released in the latest fastlane, I never ran P25 in DSD+.

I think most everyone is switched over.

PD, I assume is all encrypted again. EMS to Hospital looks to be encrypted, and a few PW groups encrypted. I'm going on the TG numbering here to gauge encryption.

Seems to me :

PD = 100's
FD = 200's
EMS = 300's
PW = 400's
Parking Authority = 500's
Super Groups = 64000 - 65148

There are some talk groups under 100. I believe TG72 is Cedar Crest College Security. Still trying to figure out who a lot of the TG's are.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Allentown P25 System

TU Sibbley,
Excellent decode here in Macungie on my 536. Have a 7 element yagi pointed right at the Site 10 tower so I imagine this helps the sigs. 100% decode is nothing I have ever heard before and I must say the 536 really sounds great on this system. Always used to the Bucks and Berks systems which always sound muddy, but not this new system.
I concur from what I have heard so far on your TG ID's and the groups they belong to. The 100's are definitely encrypted and so does the 300 group from what I can tell. PW is hard at it tonight with plowing and salting on the 400 TG's. Still have not heard fire on this system but will keep listening.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.