N9JIG rearranged for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
While not a lot of exciting new stuff, I felt the need to take down and reload. The wife wanted to make some changes on her side of the office so we did both parts while I had some time off for the holidays.

Here is a panoramic shot of my side:

Pan1.jpg

11.jpg

Here is the radio rack. I went with a tiered setback approach, and put the radios that I need to access most often on the bottom.

Here is the list of radios:

Row 1 (Top)
BCD396XT
BC330
PRO106
Alinco DJ-C7
PRO83
Yaesu VX-8DR
PRO43
Kenwood TK-3140
PSR300
BC346XT
PRO83
Motorola HT1550
RS Freq Counter
Alinco DJ-S11
Kenwood TH-F6A
Midland WX Alert Receiver

Row 2
BCT15X
4 BCT15

Row 3
2 BC785D with CSI CD-1’s
BC796D with Opto DC440
BCD996XT
BCD996T
BCC15X
Cimarron MDC Decoder
Uniden HP-1

Row 4
Motorola CDM1250 VHF
Alinco DR-635
Motorola CDM-1250 UHF
2 BCT15’s

Row 5
3 PRO2096
PRO163
PRO197
PSR600

Row 6 (Bottom)
Icom R7000 w AOR ARD25, CSI CD-1 and TV-R7000
Kenwood TS-440AT
Icom R8500 with CSI-CD-1

All of my antennas are in the attic (One of the many joys of a HOA!) but they work well as I am on the highest spot in my neighborhood. Of course, being in northern Illinois, that ain't saying much, the highest spot in my town is the landfill.

I route my coax thru a hole in the ceiling in what used to be the closet of the converted bedroom. Being behind a decliner it is hidden from view. I cut a hole in the drywall, put in a plastic drain pipe flange and glopped a bunch of spackle around it. After the attic was reinsulated I was pretty much cut off from routine access as it is 2 feet deep in blown-in insulation so I filled in the remaining space in the access flange with spray filler.

Here are the coaxes, they split into 2 groups. One is currently used antennas, which continue down the wall to underneath the desktop and then the radios, the second group is for unused antennas that may find a future application, these coaxes are bundled and stashed above a shelf out of the way and out of view:
18.jpg

Can't be a good geek without a bunch of computers. Below you will see 3 monitors. The far right is actually an iMac, the center monitor is also on the iMac. The far left monitor is shared between a Win7 machine (Fast, big HDD, lots of RAM etc.) and an old DOS machine used for Trunker and some older RSS that won't work in Windows. (I use eTrunker on the local EDACS system, still works better than anything else!)

12.jpg

I always get asked why I have so many radios. Well...

Several are used for computer logging, with programs like eTrunker, Pro96Com or ARC-xx. Half a dozen BC15's are used for Tone-Out alerting for my local FD's and the 2 BCT15X's are used to search out and log new tone sets with Arc-XT. The CDM's are used for work channels as well as local ham and GMRS stuff. The others are used for various dial twiddling or searching.

The handhelds usually have homes in my cars, camera bags or on my belt at work.

Also visible is a small part of my collection of 1/200 scale airliner models. The wife rewards my completion of items on the Honey-Do list with new models on occasion, the more I work around the house the more planes I get!

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I showed the pictures to my wife and she gave me the look... the not in a million years look... :-(

radio3353

Well, in all honesty, I can't comment on the coolness of your setup since you haven't shown us your wife's half of the room for comparison. Just say'n...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I showed the pictures to my wife and she gave me the look... the not in a million years look... :-(

Don't feel bad! :lol: I showed this pic to my girlfriend and she said "Not in your lifetime BUCKO!"...and she actually likes radios, too! :roll:
n9zas

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, in all honesty, I can't comment on the coolness of your setup since you haven't shown us your wife's half of the room for comparison. Just say'n...

She has an identical iMac and second monitor setup but no radios.

The main reason she puts up with my radios is that she is deaf, the ideal wife for a radio nut. She never complains of the noise and doesn't care to play with my toys.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
As always, looks great from where I sit, Rich. Nice job. Gotta love the reconfiguration capability of that Elfa shelving! Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

N9JIG

Sheriff
must be nice to have alot of money to play with.

I actually don't spend a lot of family money on radios. I write articles and in return I take radios and accessories instead of a check. Since the radios are usually provided at wholesale I would get more radios then I could get if I paid retail. I have also written reviews or beta tested some radios, usually I get to keep the radio. Still gotta pay income taxes on them though...

While I have a great job that I love, I wouldn't be able to afford all these toys and still pay the bills and keep my wife in furs and jewels.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Rich, I noticed the Opto DC440 on your list. I have one of those packed away in a box somewhere. Bought it right and never did anything with it. How do you use yours? What radio(s) is it connected to?What software do you use to drive it?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
LOL, I showed by wife, and she told me that as long as I didn't make her living room look like that, she didn't care. :) Very nice job!

brandon

Database Admin
Fantastic setup! Definitely one of the best and one can never have too many radios :)

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich, I noticed the Opto DC440 on your list. I have one of those packed away in a box somewhere. Bought it right and never did anything with it. How do you use yours? What radio(s) is it connected to?What software do you use to drive it?

It is connected to the BC79D. I use it pretty much as a PL/DPL decoder. I prefer the CSI CD-1 since the display is more easily readable.

I don't use software with it, it just sits there and decodes.

N9JIG

Sheriff
LOL, I showed by wife, and she told me that as long as I didn't make her living room look like that, she didn't care. :) Very nice job!
My wife allowed me 1 scanner in the living room, so I have a BCT15 there for local fire, police, railroad and aviation. Same for the bedroom.

N9JIG

Sheriff
i think you might have room for a 60 inch big screen in there so you can watch television

The wall mounted display is actually an HD-TV, it has a VGA connector on it, so occasionally I connect it to a laptop when needed. Not 60 inches, but sufficient for the room!

Status
Not open for further replies.