Premium Subscriber
Let's get started:

First we assemble the stuff to be installed:

Stuff.jpg

Gut the truck:

Stripped.jpg

Drop the headliner:

Headliner.jpg

Be careful of the airbags! No insulation?

sidecurtain.jpg

Mark the spot and drill some holes:

Chalkdrill.jpg

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
GPS & Antennas

Install the GPS:

GPS.jpg

GPSinstalled.jpg

This is not just the antenna but an all in one GPS unit. The NMEA data strings will be used for a Uniden 996XT scanner.

Drill the rest of the holes and mount the 3 dB UHF stubby, Scanner, VHF quarter wave and 2 meter / 440 HAM antennas:

Antennasinstalled.jpg

Insulate the roof:

Roofdone.jpg

And last but not least the control line for the roof mounted anemometer:

Anemometer.jpg

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Dash cam

Gotta have something to hold the dash cam and GPS:

Dash1.jpg

Test fit:

Dash2.jpg

Dash3.jpg

Some TIG welding and spray paint:

DashMount-1.jpg

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Wiring

The location for the radios & controllers:

NewAftControllerWiring.jpg

Run the cables:

niceneat.jpg

Set the console base:

tofrontconsole.jpg

Consolebase.jpg

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Console

Drilling and mounting components to the heavy steel base of the console is just too much of a pain so I fashioned an aluminum plate to facilitate wiring. It will sit in the bottom of the front console and hold the terminal strips and power blocks. It also makes a great ground point.

Mountplate.jpg

And mount the console:

console.jpg

The console itself is shifted 2 inches left of centerline to make room for the computer mount and map pocket on the right hand side of the console. Now we play the waiting game, I have ordered the faceplates for the radios and will post more when they arrive.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Front console / GPS isn't wired up yet, still waiting on faceplates. Be patient it's gonna take a while.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Before anyone starts in on the warning light debate please note: I am a licensed Paramedic and I use my emergency warning equipment to respond to calls in my jurisdiction ONLY! I do not use my warning equipment for storm chasing as that would violate multiple laws governing emergency vehicle operations.

The SVP box is a Southern Vehicle Products (now Carson) SA-430 remote head 100 watt siren.

The list:
Kenwood TK-790 VHF (remote head)
Kenwood TK-890 UHF (remote head)
Kenwood TM-D710a Dual Band APRS
AvMap G-5 GPS / APRS display
GRE PSR-600 Digital Scanner (will replace with Uniden 996XT eventually)
SVP SA-430 Siren / PA
4 Whelen Vertex hidden LEDs in the corners
4 head Whelen Dominator on a GoRhino Road Defender push bumper
2 LED converted Whelen Dash King foreward
7 head LED Arrowstick in back glass
2 Axxitech low profile LEDs mounted to bottom of liftgate to provide visual signal when gate is raised
Jotto computer desk
attachment A holds the Toshiba Thrive running Pykl3 RADAR
attachment B holds the laptop running GR Level 3 / Spotter Network)
5 volt USB charging ports front and back
Cradlepoint mobile hotspot
Wilson cell phone amp

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Completion

There is no set date for completion. Since no-one makes a faceplate for the Kenwood D710 I will either have to scratch build one or pay Troy a $50 setup fee and $40 for the faceplate. Perhaps they will waive the setup fee if I let them borrow a control head to pattern from?

Yea right...

The armrest / siren control head / drink holder / storage compartment part of the front console has to be scratchbuilt as does the enclosure for the radios in the back. I'm very pickey so that may take some time to complete.

I promise there is no-one that wants this done more than I do but I would rather do it right than to do it over.

Porkins

Before anyone starts in on the warning light debate please note: I am a licensed Paramedic and I use my emergency warning equipment to respond to calls in my jurisdiction ONLY! I do not use my warning equipment for storm chasing as that would violate multiple laws governing emergency vehicle operations.

The SVP box is a Southern Vehicle Products (now Carson) SA-430 remote head 100 watt siren.

The list:
Kenwood TK-790 VHF (remote head)
Kenwood TK-890 UHF (remote head)
Kenwood TM-D710a Dual Band APRS
AvMap G-5 GPS / APRS display
GRE PSR-600 Digital Scanner (will replace with Uniden 996XT eventually)
SVP SA-430 Siren / PA
4 Whelen Vertex hidden LEDs in the corners
4 head Whelen Dominator on a GoRhino Road Defender push bumper
2 LED converted Whelen Dash King foreward
7 head LED Arrowstick in back glass
2 Axxitech low profile LEDs mounted to bottom of liftgate to provide visual signal when gate is raised
Jotto computer desk
attachment A holds the Toshiba Thrive running Pykl3 RADAR
attachment B holds the laptop running GR Level 3 / Spotter Network)
5 volt USB charging ports front and back
Cradlepoint mobile hotspot
Wilson cell phone amp

Was just wondering what the light setup was, I wasn't gonna go on about if they were legal or not.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Thread Title

Might I suggest a better (or for that matter, ANY) explaination of what "PPV" means in your thread title...???

After wading through the entire thread I guess it means Personal Paramedic Vehicle...????

The car is a Chevy Tahoe...??? When reading the thread title I thought you were IN Lake Tahoe, not TN

Ambiguity imparts no information...I guess it's still an art to crafting a good thread title...

Because I'm on slow dial up, the photos are STILL loading...

Last edited:

KJ6HCB

Police Pursuit/Patrol Vehicle.

PPV is an option from GM for their police/fleet ready equipment. Often times vinyl flooring, power stubbed out in the trunk and or passenger compartment, blah blah blah - a host of options that makes things nice and easier for installation of equipment. Also sits an inch lower, different wheels, bigger alternator, etc.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Suggestion in the future... wait until EVERYTHING comes in and do it in one shot. It WILL save aggravation down the road. Trust me.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Was just wondering what the light setup was, I wasn't gonna go on about if they were legal or not.

My apologies if I come off sounding terse. Nothing personal, and the comment was in no way directed AT you, just a pre-emptive strike. The worst flaming I ever had in my life was here in RR concerning storm chasers with lights. I now fully expect to go to a special corner of hell reserved for baby killers, serial murderers and storm chasers with warning light setups. I just wanted to establish up front that I am not the "Sheriff Beauford T. Justice in high speed pursuit of the storm" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.