2001 CVPI Revamped Install & Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I had my tech do some re-arrangement of radios, antennas, and lighting over the last several months. I experimented with captioning, so please bear with me on these photos until I get it perfected, whatever & whenever that occurs. The captions are actually embedded in each photo. I used a utility called pixlr.com which is very easy to use.

Here is the RR link to the photos I uploaded:

The RadioReference.com Forums - K9WSS's Album: 2001 CVPI Revamped Install & Photos

bezking

Very nice setup. You're certainly ready for the RF apocalypse :cool:

I've never seen green lights before. What are they for? (I promise I'm not the whacker patrol, I actually want to know... :D)

SCPD

QRT
Green lights... I typically see them on wha...er, private security vehicles, here in California at least.

phillydjdan

In my area green is supposed indicate incident command, although I've never actually seen a green light in use

ScannaMan9

Nice!!!!

Mileage?

I'd have a secret service vehicle following me with all that equipment in there!
How do people not steal that??? Do they think it's the police,or something?

MP3 player?????

Green lights?
In my area, private security,towing, AAA, and maybe state police traveler assistance.
In NH, i think you can use blue & red lights, as long as you still use citizen rights.

Last edited:

wd9cms

Looks like quite a few changes...I really like the remote mode steering on VRS750 with the Astro Spectra. It all looks great!!!

Bill

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
They were cheap and available by a company called Axixtech. They were extremely reasonable and I haven't had any trouble with them. I have had issues with my Code 3 XT3's. Another white LED trio pack is acting up again (in the front).

I was a rep for a lights/siren sales & install company and this was my mobile sales vehicle. I still rep for another vendor, and technically we're exempted from certain laws regarding these types of lights. However, I NEVER activate them on a public way, nor am I a currently a LEO. I retired a few years ago from a municipal agency and do have a IROCC card for conceal carry in all 50 states.

The vehicle is a great ride; it gets a lot of respect, and rarely do I get passed on a freeway or tollway. I'm active in some local ARES and Ham Radio groups, and last summer sat at locations watching runners in a marathon (at two separate events). That's about it.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Responses to your Questions

Nice!!!!

Mileage?

145,000. I've had it five years. It had 97000 when I purchased it from a dealer in FL who bought it from the Florida Hiway Patrol; It was driven by ONE officer, a staff/command captain who drove 90 miles to/from work each day. He had it for around 6 years. I actually talked to him because I found the maintenance record in the glove box with his name/rank on it.

I'd have a secret service vehicle following me with all that equipment in there! How do people not steal that??? Do they think it's the police,or something?

I get some strange looks, but most of the local gendarmes know me. I actually got stopped by one of them claiming that I "had too many antennas." I didn't question it when his supervisor dropped by and we knew each other for a long time. He laughed when I told him why his officer stopped me! It's parked in my garage, and I'm no farther away from the signal of the two-way alarm system devices. If I can't see it, then I won't park it.

MP3 player?????

Gotta listen to something other than conventional AM/FM. I used to subscribe to XM Radio but withdrew my subscription when they cancelled my favorite soundtrack channel "Cinemagic." They went downhill as far as I was concerned when they merged with Sirius.

Green lights?
In my area, private security,towing, AAA, and maybe state police traveler assistance.
In NH, i think you can use blue & red lights, as long as you still use citizen rights.

See my explanation below a few responses from this post re: green lights.

SCPD

QRT
Don't take this too personal but this is way overboard!. The radios and antennas are fine, but the strobes and green lights in the grill are just saying "I'm a Whacker". Crown Vics and PI's are nice to own as I own a Crown Vic. One of the best cars to drive (no so in the winter) but never the less a great car. But all those antennas and lights are going to get looks and calls from citizens, cops that have no idea about ham radio or commercial 2-way radios. Hopefully you wont have any issues but be prepared when Barney Fife pulls you over thinking your impersonating a LEO.

wa2chj

Just a quick comment about the green light question above. In a lot of parts of the Northeast and New England, green lights are used by EMS - particularly independent ambulance corps that are not part of fire departments.

Scott
WA2CHJ
EMT-Paramedic-CC

lindsay34654

This is one of the reasons why scanner operators are getting a bad rap in some states. Take a quick look at the car, now picture this you are coming into an area where there is heavy police presents. Not saying you but one that chases accidents and incidents with a car decked out like yours. Now they have someone that does not belong in the area because of the confusion your car is setting off. If is a hobby The car antennas and radios are great the lights need to go.

GrumpyGuard

You do have a nice set up. I think people need to read the entire post before commenting as you explain why you have the lights. I have found that it really does not matter whether you have one or ten antenna's on your vehicle, people are going to look at you funny. Is this my taste, no, but if you are going to have more than one radio you need a vehicle such as yours or the PPV's that others are putting in service. Again it is a nice set up, very professional, and clean with no wires showing. FFPM571 did a great job on the installation.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I guess some people don't read previous posts before making comments...

No problem; everyone's entitled to their opinions. Yes, re-read my previous responses, and yes, I'm a retired LEO and have only had one "incident" which turned out funny in the end. Thank you for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.