Newly renovated Ham shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone. I am renovating my Ham shack and wanted to share it with this forum. My shack is in the second bedroom and it used to consist of a small computer desk that didn't provide enough desk space to do anything aside from operating. So I decided to renovate the room and add a new table. I spent months looking for a good desk and could not find one I liked. Then I stumbled across this Ikea table that fit the bill. I added the shelves on top and underneath I added wire chases, an AC plug strip, and an MFJ DC distribution block.

The first two pictures are of the old shack and the next three are of the new table. The last one is while I am wiring everything so it is a bit of a mess. The equipment is:

Yaesu FT-897D
Yaesu FT-8800R
Kenwood R-1000
OptoCOM SDR
Uniden BC-895XLT
Radio Shack Pro-164
Wouxun KG-UV3D (x2)
PK-232MBX with all of the Timewave upgrades.

Not shown: Drake TR-4C that is being shipped for restoration and the computer monitors.

As I make progress I will continue to post pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 4,547
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,592
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 9,366
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 5,808
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 7,126

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
VERY impressive! :wink:
What's in the repeater cabinet??
... The lava lamp is a nice touch too.

73 & Happy Holidays,
n9zas

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
+1 for the lava lamp =)

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
VERY impressive! :wink:
What's in the repeater cabinet??
... The lava lamp is a nice touch too.

73 & Happy Holidays,
n9zas

Thanks. The equipment rack is holding all of my network devices, a VMware server, a NAS server, and a dedicated XP computer for my radios. And I too like the lava lamp ;)

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 4,026
  • DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,435

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where I read it but " I stumbled across this Ikea table that fit the bill" ;)

It's an IKEA table, part of the Galant line. It;s a very sturdy table and will hold somewhere around 400 pounds; the underside is a metal frame. What I like about this line is how flexible it is. There are various extensions and ends so that you can make it fit in any space. The shelves are just 48" long shelves with 6" Capita legs. The legs also come in 4" and 10". I plan on adding more scanners to my shack, and when I do I can just add another shelf on top of one or both of the existing shelves on 4" legs.The IKEA line really make it easy to customize.

I added the IKEA cable chases under the table, and an AC power strip & MFJ DC power block to keep the cabling clean.

Attachments

• HamShack2.JPG
    HamShack2.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,893
  • HamShack3.JPG
    HamShack3.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 4,379
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 16,220

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
very nice indeed, havent seen a AEA PK-232 for a few years now
Is it still been used ?

Yes, I use it quite regularly. I use it for RTTY, PSK-31, Winlink email, and for manual APRS entries for our local hamfests. I bought it more for nostalgic reasons because I had one of the originals back in the late 80's while stationed overseas. I wanted to play with RTTY again, so I looked for one of these. What I didn't realize is with the Timewave soundcard upgrade, I could also use it as an interface for the soundcard modes.

k3td

It's an IKEA table, part of the Galant line. It;s a very sturdy table and will hold somewhere around 400 pounds; the underside is a metal frame. What I like about this line is how flexible it is. There are various extensions and ends so that you can make it fit in any space. The shelves are just 48" long shelves with 6" Capita legs. The legs also come in 4" and 10". I plan on adding more scanners to my shack, and when I do I can just add another shelf on top of one or both of the existing shelves on 4" legs.The IKEA line really make it easy to customize.

I added the IKEA cable chases under the table, and an AC power strip & MFJ DC power block to keep the cabling clean.

Very nice, Hank! Are the top shelf legs attached to the main table?

Thanks and 73!

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
Very nice looking set-up you've got.

Love the desk. Wish I had the space for one like that.

:)

Thanks, I am glad that I have the space, but I'm really grateful that I have a wife that supports my hobby the way she does. This is a spare bedroom that is my shack. She did a brunt of the renovation work and helped set it all up.

Last edited:

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
Very nice, Hank! Are the top shelf legs attached to the main table?

Thanks and 73!

Thanks. The legs are only attached to the shelf and the shelf just sit on the table. The legs have a rubber base that keeps them from sliding around.

Status
Not open for further replies.