New Set-up in Cape Cod, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Here is my work-in-progress, after having moved recently from an apartment in Queens, NYC to a house in Cape Cod, MA.

I moved Feb. 1st of this year and only had the wherewithal to unpack and set things up last week.

From left to right on the top of the hutch:
Realistic Pro-2005, DB-9 four way switcher, Uniden BC780XLT, Icom IC-R6, Uniden 396T, Yaesu VX-5R, Radio Shack DX-398.

So far I have not had the opportunity to get an antenna farm going outside, but when it warms up, some local hams have offered to help out with that.

I have an older Toshiba laptop to the left of the Mac and it so far has Butel's ARC780 running on it, just recently down loaded. I have "ID Tracker III" running on the Toshiba as well.

Reception in the Cape is awesome compared to my cave in NYC, where outside antennas of any kind were banned. I hope to get into more SWL, particularly utilities.

I have still to set up; Icom R-75, Yaesu FT-450D, Yaesu FT-8800 and I may or may not set up the Icom R-7000 receiver.

Ain't this a great hobby??ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363572416.247665.jpg

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Quite good, how are you liking it so far next to the water?

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I try to watch the cormorants at the water several times a week, if I can!

It's amazing how many friends and family that didn't want to "schlep" from Manhattan to Queens to visit me all want to visit now.

Heh.

danham

Nice setup and welcome to the sand spit. When you've got a few more weeks under your belt, you'll start saying you live "on" Cape Cod, not "in" it [grin].

-dan
(Harwich)

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Good for you, Jimru, and it's looking fine so far. Yes, we'd all love to see the antenna farm when you get it up and running. SWL should be awesome at the Cape and don't forget to keep an ear out for the Coast Guard - they have quite a presence in that area. Congrats on the move!

Russell

ScannaMan9

Nice. Even for a new setup that's pretty neat, besides the papers. Be sure to post some new pics when you get officially set up.

Be sure to listen to the coast guard and marine frequencies, maybe you could start a new coast guard feed- I don't think there is one

-Scannaman9
Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk. Sorry for any errors.

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Nice. Even for a new setup that's pretty neat, besides the papers. Be sure to post some new pics when you get officially set up.

Be sure to listen to the coast guard and marine frequencies, maybe you could start a new coast guard feed- I don't think there is one

-Scannaman9

Yeah, the papers keep following me around!

I did get a lot shredded today, though.

I want to monitor the USCG, both marine and air freq's, for sure!

Jim

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin

-Scannaman9

I've been running one for at least a few years, actually.... :D

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I missed this recent post. Looks great. Welcome to "The Hood!"

Thanks!

Will update as I settle in. Just moved the DX-398 from the desk hutch to next to the La-Z-Boy, where it belongs! I already am getting some nice AM BCB DX catches on it (WIOD, 610-AM, Miami FL!).

The Cape is such an improvement over my former QTH in NYC. I was completely shut down there as far as DX was concerned.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.