2013 Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
2013 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Turbo AWD

Yaesu FT-7800 (W/ Remote Head)
Uniden BC396XT (W/ BC-RH96 Remote Head)
Cobra 75WXST CB-Radio (Remote Mounted / wired but not using currently)

Opek DB2 - 2M/440 Quarter Wave NMO
Antenex Phantom Elite Mobile Hotspot Antenna NMO
Antenex AB150 Quarterwave cut to 155 MHz NMO

Lido Gooseneck Mount / Floor Bracket modified to fit seat track (less flexing)
Motorola Speaker
Radio Shack Amplified Speaker

New Vehicle, lets drill some holes!

Radios Mounted to bottom of storage hatch lid under passenger seat. Fuse distro box for easy future add-ons....one run of wire to the front with a lighter plug splitter for the remote head and scanner power....ran out of real estate in the box, so hid the 2 lighter plugs and splitter under the side of the transmission hump in the carpet fold... , grounds tied with a stainless steel bolt, homemade L bracket and lock nut..Everything attached with screws to the cover lid, stapled some Velcro to the lid too to help manage the cables, clearance is tight so several trial and error attempts till it was all snug inside. Heat shouldn't be an issue as I monitor 99% of the time, however planned the location so a few holes could be drilled in the lid for ventilation if needed later. CB remote transceiver (top right) with a powerpole pigtail, I usually use a pre-fab cable that connects to the Yaesu power cable for power

Center console houses 396 and a switch for the amplified speaker

Speakers mounted under the seats to the seat bottom with nylon ties.

Lido goose neck floor mount modification done with a cut-off wheel. The standard L braket seat bolt mount was just too flimsy, access panel pops open with a nylon pry tool for easy access to the bolt hole.

Power cable routing from driver side firewall plug > under inside door floor trim > under seat > under center console > to radio under passenger seat. Knee air bag and brake linkage prevented routing under steering wheel. Power cable is #10 stranded, hot wrapped with friction tape and both inside split loom, wrapped with high heat tape where under the engine compartment.

Battery connection with a waterproof fuse holder, picked up the ground on the fuse box attachment bolt with a washer.

Soldered splice to cable with connector, removed plastic outer shell of a butt-connector...crimped and soldered..slice taped and heat shrank.

Antenna installation done by a close friend's custom audio install business, headliner removal took them several hours, as roughly indicated there wasnt many places to mount due to reinforced roof supports (that we didnt care to cut into) and concrete style acoustic dampening material. The rolled shape of the vehicle also limited placement further forward. Curtain air bags that run the length of the vehicle prevented cable drops into the door pillars, coax was routed aft and just behind the stop of the airbags, down under the cargo interior and back up under the floor trim. We were pressed for time and I didnt want to push my luck with my almost free installation...so sorry for no pics of the headliner dropped...since this is a new model there's hardly anything on the net about it and service schematics are extremely limited.

fdscan

Didn't know that the control head could be used with the portable scanners, I'll have to remember that! Very clean install.

Maverick22

You could've run the coax behind the airbags and down the pillars. Very professional clean install.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
We just bought a new 2013 Ford Escape SEL and you've given me some good ideas. Although this is the wife's car, she's had a scanner (Pro-197) in the last two vehicles. She asked me a day after we took delivery, "when is my scanner going in?"

ki4wbn

Coming from somebody who has done more vehicle radio installs than I really care to even think about, good job! Looks very nice and professional!
You can actually run coax with overhead airbags. The trick is to get the coax routed behind the airbag. There is usually just enough space (and not any more) to run the coax. Most have a plastic barrier that butts up against the metal frame where you can do this. (For anybody else who might run into that issue)

The soundproofing and supports are a never ending issue. Those can make things difficult sometimes. Been there, done that. Not fun.

But anyways, GREAT JOB AND INSTALL!

KM4WLV

Awesome install and great use of space !!! I'm working on an install in my van (2010 Chryslet Town and County) that has Stow N Go seating. I've put the radios for my 2 Spectras, 1 Syntor and a Maratrac in the "hole" to save space.

And glad to see you roof mounted the antennas !!

8K10F1E

That's the new ford Escape? Not too crazy about it. Liked the previous generation better.
Nice install!
Do you work for homeland security?
(I saw that notebook, and it looks like pics were taken at airport?)
That is actually a freely available document that can be downloaded on the internet.

National Interoperability Field Operations Guide | Homeland Security

It has a lot of common frequencies like VTAC, UTAC, 7/800-TAC, Marine VHF, band plans and the like.
It's a great resource when programming public safety radios.

Last edited:

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Could you show us the bracket on the Lido arm that allows mounting of both control heads?

Its the basic included AMPS plate snapped in vertically, The bracket for the RH96 is mounted to one side of the snap slot using 4 small bolts, the Yaesu head is on the other (bottom) on 4 longer bolts. I used longer bolts with a nut behind the remote head bracket and on both sides of the AMPS plate (x 4) to stand off and keep both units relatively uniform as they are different depths. Ill try to get another pic for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.