2013 Toyota Tacoma (Work in Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I am in the process of outfitting my 2013 Toyota Tacoma for Amateur Radio. Pictures to follow but here is the equipment installed so far:

Kenwood TM-V71A with DFK-3D remote kit connected to a Diamond NR-73BNMO Dual Band Antenna
Kenwood TM-281A connected to Motorola Spectrum 2m Antenna
RPC Electronics YagTracker - APRS Tracker and Mobile Terminal
RPC Electronics YagTracker Breakout Box
RPC Electronics Five Port Controlled PowerPole Distribution Block
APRS World APO3: Automatic Power Off 3

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Here are the first 5 photos of the install as promised!

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 6,083
  • IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 4,488
  • IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 5,384
  • IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 5,079
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 6,123

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
and the second set

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 4,547
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4,399

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Nice Setup. I've been using the ArgentData OT2m into a Garmin 350 for my APRS, and it is great. I haven't heard of the YagTracker yet, but will take a look at what it can do.

I've placed my speakers for my TMV71A under the driver and passenger seats. Left side of the radio comes out the driver's side, and right side comes out the passenger side. Putting the speakers under the seat might be a bit more comfortable for any rear passengers ;)

Thanks for sharing. The Install and wiring look very clean.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I still have much to do! I intend to mount two speakers as far forward as possible on the center console on both sides. One for the V71 and another for a future Uniden BCD996XT Scanner. I've mocked it up and don't foresee any issues with feet.

The Trimble GPS Antenna (P/N 28367-70) will feed into an RPC Electronics High Accuracy GPS Unit and from there into an RPC Electronics Serial port splitter. Then one GPS feed will go to the YagTracker Breakout box and the other will go to the Scanner.

Right now i'm planning on using the Uniden BC-RH96 with the scanner and putting the main unit behind the passenger seat and the remote head in the deep pocket in center console.

The wiring still needs to be cleaned up and ran with better cable management practices but that will all come in time as the pieces are put into place and finalized.

All in all i'm very happy with the install and can't wait for it to be over! Although this is the part with the most gratification it seems like i'm always wanting to change, upgrade or improve it. Long term plan is also mobile HF but i'm gonna have to save up for a WHILE for that one. That is after the scanner, remote head and antenna. Years of fun and excitement to come!

Last edited:

N5TWB

The Trimble GPS Antenna (P/N 28367-70) will feed into an RPC Electronics High Accuracy GPS Unit and from there into an RPC Electronics Serial port splitter. Then one GPS feed will go to the YagTracker Breakout box and the other will go to the Scanner.

I found the Yag Tracker Breakout box on the RPC website but can't locate the Serial Port Splitter. Would you be so kind as to provide a link?

73 & Tnx!

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
All, Thanks for your replies and support!

I haven't noticed people checking out gear in the truck but definatly get quiet a few looks at the antennas from other drivers. Add to that when I'm in uniform they really do a double take lol.

The speaker just gets stashed under the seat when company is rididng along as I am very unlikely to talk on the radio when I have company. Eventually the speakers will be mounted up front on the center console. I'm going to put two up there. One for the V71 and one for a future scanner, until the scanner gets installed i'll likely use the other speaker for CH2 of the V71 and have it run in SPKR MODE 2.

The next thing to happen to the truck is going to be a scanner install consisting of:

Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Scanner
Uniden BC-RH96 Remote Head from Scanner Master
Haven't decided on an antenna for it yet
Output 1 of the Serial Port Splitter will go to the 996XT for GPS enabling/disabling of the scanner.

If anyone has a 996 and/or RH96 they would like to offload at a resonable cost feel free to message me!

After that I'll want to put in a Icom 7000 with a Turbo Tuner and TarHeel Screwdriver, but that will be WELL down the list after I save ALOT of money up.

Any other questions/comments/suggestions are always welcome!!!

Attachments

• Equipment.JPG
    Equipment.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 8,345
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 3,711

scottyhetzel

Hi, I have a 15x and a remote head and a austin spectra... I love it ! I wish I had a 996xt. That will be my next upgrade. This all fits in my white tundra. I like how you labeled the picture. How do you do that ? I need need to post my pics. I have a super nice set up...

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I was looking closer at the pictures and I noticed a couple of things, are you in the coast guard?

K4APR

I found the Yag Tracker Breakout box on the RPC website but can't locate the Serial Port Splitter. Would you be so kind as to provide a link?

The splitter is currently in pre-production status. I was able to get one cranked out for Evan's install, so he could get it completed.

I have actually built up several units this week and I plan to have them on the website by the end of the week. I just need to get some preliminary documentation worked up before I can start selling them. Details coming soon.

kk4vmm

All, Thanks for your replies and support!

I haven't noticed people checking out gear in the truck but definatly get quiet a few looks at the antennas from other drivers. Add to that when I'm in uniform they really do a double take lol.

The speaker just gets stashed under the seat when company is rididng along as I am very unlikely to talk on the radio when I have company. Eventually the speakers will be mounted up front on the center console. I'm going to put two up there. One for the V71 and one for a future scanner, until the scanner gets installed i'll likely use the other speaker for CH2 of the V71 and have it run in SPKR MODE 2.

The next thing to happen to the truck is going to be a scanner install consisting of:

Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Scanner
Uniden BC-RH96 Remote Head from Scanner Master
Haven't decided on an antenna for it yet
Output 1 of the Serial Port Splitter will go to the 996XT for GPS enabling/disabling of the scanner.

If anyone has a 996 and/or RH96 they would like to offload at a resonable cost feel free to message me!

After that I'll want to put in a Icom 7000 with a Turbo Tuner and TarHeel Screwdriver, but that will be WELL down the list after I save ALOT of money up.

Any other questions/comments/suggestions are always welcome!!!

Great, clean install! I have the tm-v71a as well. How did you mount it in that location? With the provided hardware in the separation kit? I just ordered a separation cable off ebay instead of paying all that money for the kenwood branded kit and figured I could fab up something to hold it in place in the same spot.

Nasby

Really nice work!!

I enjoyed the step by step photos and diagrams you added!

Status
Not open for further replies.