My Shack-Reloaded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just when I thought I was done with my shack, more equipment comes in! How does this happen?:roll:
I managed to find a desk that was shorter in depth and wider (by 1 foot) than my previous one, at a wholesale hotel liquidator store near by. ($35) I built a hutch to fit all my gear.

Old set up:
http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/M...c.jpg.html?&_suid=138253623109309564291697697

New set up:
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing
Now I am more comfortable during my monitoring sessions as there is more leg room and everything is spread out better.

The new additions are a 2 more CDM 1550LS+, a Motorola Minitor IV pager and desktop charger,Pro-2006 for Mil-Air, LDG brand IT-100 Autotuner for my Icom IC-7000, and a Panasonic toughbook CF-52 sitting on a dock, running windows XP Pro for all my radio programming needs.(serial port plus 4 usb ports!)

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! They say that necessity is the mother of all inventions. Well as you can see from the first picture, I was in serious need of more space. Being that the set up is in our master bedroom, the possible choices were slim to almost none and I had to get very creative. The only thing that was prebuilt was the desk, the rest I did myself. I am finally comfortable with my set up! My windows 7 HP laptop went to crap, so I aquired a toughbook to replace it. This helped me in several ways. For one thing, it is smaller which saved real estate space. Second, it has winsows XP Pro which works great with ALL my programs for scanners as well as my commercial stuff. And finally, it has a working serial port, again, another great help in the programming dept. So all in all Im much better off......

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Geeez dude, thats a lot of gear. Looks cool.
You working a lot of overtime to pay for it all.... LOL

Hey Tom! Missed you at the Nutmeg Hamfest buddy! The equipment just keeps on rolling in! ( you had a hand in that, LOL ) I couldn't help myself! :roll: I'm pretty much done! Just need to install the marine radio and the aircraft radio and I will be done!

Manny

Last edited:

fdscan

Just curious, what's the Minitor for? Public safety monitoring or can you use it for ham as well?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Public safety monitoring. For agencies within the specified band range, that tone out their members.

Manny

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This has probably been posted/asked before in other threads but how do you know what tones to have programmed for a particular agency or department? I've thought it'd be neat to have a Minitor before, too, but not sure how to know what tone(s) to program... (sorry to get somewhat off-topic)

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
This has probably been posted/asked before in other threads but how do you know what tones to have programmed for a particular agency or department? I've thought it'd be neat to have a Minitor before, too, but not sure how to know what tone(s) to program... (sorry to get somewhat off-topic)

PM sent with details

fdscan

PM sent with details

Beat me to it...

This isn't very common... But a few departments have their tones listed in the database from what I see, under the town subheading, as well as some external websites. But it's best to find it yourself, if you ask me.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Just when I thought I was done with my shack, more equipment comes in! How does this happen?:roll:
I managed to find a desk that was shorter in depth and wider (by 1 foot) than my previous one, at a wholesale hotel liquidator store near by. ($35) I built a hutch to fit all my gear.

Old set up:
MonitoringStation_zps1bc38825.jpg Photo by Manfred-Leticia_Vives | Photobucket

New set up:
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing
Now I am more comfortable during my monitoring sessions as there is more leg room and everything is spread out better.

The new additions are a 2 more CDM 1550LS+, a Motorola Minitor IV pager and desktop charger,Pro-2006 for Mil-Air, LDG brand IT-100 Autotuner for my Icom IC-7000, and a Panasonic toughbook CF-52 sitting on a dock, running windows XP Pro for all my radio programming needs.(serial port plus 4 usb ports!)

Manny

What is the Minitor IV for?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber

Beat me to it...

This isn't very common... But a few departments have their tones listed in the database from what I see, under the town subheading, as well as some external websites. But it's best to find it yourself, if you ask me.

The tones can be obtained in different ways besides here on RR which has a few listed. Both the 996XT and the BCT15X have tone search. I wont get into the details or specifics here but they work. There is also software available. I use software made by a company called COMTEKK.http://comtekk.us/multi-decoder.htm. It requires a discriminator tap on your scanner. Depending on the pager of your choice, you need software from Motorola. It is called PPS and easily obtainable for the 3,4,and 5. Not sure about earlier models. Here is a sample of Minitor V software download page right from Motorola:http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US...+and+Pagers+-+Business/Pagers/MINITOR+V_US-EN The 3-5 Minitor software does work on Windows 7 and earlier OS. Not sure about Windows 8.Then of course, you need a cable. Here on RR there is a nice post that will show you how to do one up for cheap.http://forums.radioreference.com/mo...g-minitor-pager-cheap-diy-style-write-up.html
These are all the resourses I used to program my Minitor. Hopefully that answers some of the questions.

Manny

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Jealous Manny.................just jealous! :)

I missed you at the Ham-fest!!! I'm off until Sunday, get a hold of me!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Jealous Manny.................just jealous! :)

I missed you at the Ham-fest!!! I'm off until Sunday, get a hold of me!

Will do brother! Thanks for the kind comments, I have already reduced the shack a bit since my original post. The Baofengs and the minitor set up are gone! More room for new stuff! :)

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.