2008 Chevy Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
My Dakota was totaled in a wreck, got a great deal on a 2008 silverado extended cab.
It used to be an energy industry (oil/gas) truck, so its got some character, i.e. door dings and random dents.

The good news is, theres plenty of mounting space, and 2 sealed NMO holes in the roof.

Going to be installing in 3 phases, depending on my spare time and how freaking cold it is outside.

Phase 1 is the cell and mobile data equipment.
Phase 2 will be the computer equipment.
Phase 3 will be the radios.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Phase 1:

Former truck used a t-mobile USB stick in a cradlepoint router. Upgrading to a self-contained mobile 4G hotspot in this truck, although thats on hold while t-mobile figures out why my account works fine in the USB stick, but cant authenticate in the hotspot.

Backup internet device is a sprint 4g hotspot (overdrive pro) on a prepaid reseller (freedompop)
Its mounted to the ceiling, with USB power and antenna lines wired thru the console.

backup_data.jpg

There is a cellular amplifer (800-1900) mounted between the ceiling and roof right above it. Amplifies the signal for 3G (but not the 4G) and uses an external antenna.

NMOs.jpg

Both are Laird TRA6927M3NW phantom's, which are multi-band (700/806/850/1800/1900/2100/2300/2500/2600)

The second external antenna runs down to a passive cradle on the dash. My phone usually sits in it, although it was originally intended for the primary mobile broadband hotspot.
Eventually, it will have an amplifier in-line as well. Just waiting for a 1700-1900mhz one to come down in price.

amplified_cradle.jpg

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Next phase will be mounting a 7 inch tablet on the dashboard.
Primary purpose is GPS and mapping, but the tablet will also have OBD2 diagnostic capability.

Tablet, ball mount, and temporary cradle will be here tomorrow in time for me to drop them in prior to a long distance work trip.

The otterbox and a permanant cradle (RAM mount locking cradle) are on backorder.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Thanks AJ.

Heres what the mounted tablet looks like:

mounted_tablet.jpg

Ended up returning the RAM universal 7 inch tablet mount (the X arm version) and just using VHB tape to attatch a ball mount to the otterbox's hard shell. Makes it a snap to pull the tablet out for security purposes.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Also, at this point, the ham radio (ic-208h) has been installed.

The other day, i had a 250 mile drive thru a nasty snowstorm (20 mph in 4x4 the entire way, only things that passed me were snow plows and idiots) and i realized that i REALLY needed at least one radio installed.

Remote mount, head on dash between stereo and ac controls, radio under the seat. Its currently attatched to the antenna thats supposed to be for the state VHF radio, but since i havent installed that yet, i can deal.

I may swap to a really good multi band antenna on that particular mount, and put the VHF whip on the roof instead.

Ive installed a metal box on the floor next to the 4x4 shifter to hold wiring and relays (repurposing junk found in my apartment FTW) and i'll be mounting some type of angle mount on top of it for the VHF radio, and probably also a CB. As much as I dont want additional clutter in the truck, a CB may be worth it, specifically because of the number of highway miles i drive.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i've been toying with the idea of taking out the seat in favor of a center console, but decided against it. Mostly because i like an armrest and storage area.

I may eventually get the troy short console that sits between the hump and bottom of the dash, but for now, a simple radio stack on the hump should work.

I had really wanted to do my antennas in a triangle like you, but since there were already two NMO holes in the roof, i figured i'd take advantage of it.

sfd119

i've been toying with the idea of taking out the seat in favor of a center console, but decided against it. Mostly because i like an armrest and storage area.

I may eventually get the troy short console that sits between the hump and bottom of the dash, but for now, a simple radio stack on the hump should work.

I had really wanted to do my antennas in a triangle like you, but since there were already two NMO holes in the roof, i figured i'd take advantage of it.

I didn't want to either, but in the end I got used to it.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I was 95% sure that i could do the three radio install without a console, and after they're in, i'm pretty convinced that this will work.

Got the last two radios in, a state fire VHF kenwood, and a uniden CB.

And i'm sure that some people will object to the CB in a public safety oriented vehicle, but with the number of highway miles i drive, it'll be useful from time to time.

Both are mounted on a single adjustable hump mount.

The only remaining thing I need to do at this point is wire up a switched circut to allow the aux equipment to be BATT/OFF/IGN via a fused relay.
RIght now, its all going to the battery and constantly on. I want the VHF, CB, cell equipment and tablet to be ignition triggered, with a cutoff, and the possibility of running on battery when needed.

Just need to grab an on/off/on switch and some relays, and i'll build the circut... but i'll do it down in texas where its warmer. Too cold to work on the truck up here at home.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
radio_stack.jpg

You can see the head for the IC-208h, the tablet, my cell phone, the VHF radio, the CB, 3 aux outlets including a USB for charging a second phone.

sfd119

I was 95% sure that i could do the three radio install without a console, and after they're in, i'm pretty convinced that this will work.

Got the last two radios in, a state fire VHF kenwood, and a uniden CB.

And i'm sure that some people will object to the CB in a public safety oriented vehicle, but with the number of highway miles i drive, it'll be useful from time to time.

Both are mounted on a single adjustable hump mount.

The only remaining thing I need to do at this point is wire up a switched circut to allow the aux equipment to be BATT/OFF/IGN via a fused relay.
RIght now, its all going to the battery and constantly on. I want the VHF, CB, cell equipment and tablet to be ignition triggered, with a cutoff, and the possibility of running on battery when needed.

Just need to grab an on/off/on switch and some relays, and i'll build the circut... but i'll do it down in texas where its warmer. Too cold to work on the truck up here at home.

Get a ChargeGaurd. It's like $75 and it will auto sense your ignition and turn the equipment on automatically. It also has an override and you can specify how long things stay on after power down.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
or, i could spend about 10 bucks on parts and make a 2x40 amp circuit that i can manually switch...

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
its actually a very simple Workman brand adjustable hump mount.

Amazon for around $15.

Amazon.com: HUMP MOUNT Bracket for CB / Ham Radio on Floor Etc. - Workman HUM1: Car Electronics

I also added an adjustable bracket, ROADPRO RP-235 Adjustable Universal Mounting Bracket for CB/Ham Radio & Scanners : Amazon.com : Automotive which i attatched the CB to. I then used superlock strips to attatch the VHF radio to the top of the CB. The VHF runs to an external speaker, since the internal speaker is blocked in this configuration.

The hump mount screwed into the transmission hump using some self tapping screws.
The base 'legs' are adjustable for either flat or hump mount, and the mounting angle of the radios is adjustable from 0 degrees to about 45 degrees.

It easily holds the weight of both radios securely. Not bad for a $20 total investment.

sfd119

or, i could spend about 10 bucks on parts and make a 2x40 amp circuit that i can manually switch...

You certainly could. ChargeGuard also has surge suppression in it though...over/under voltage it will cut out the equipment to protect it.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Man, i really should update this thread. Guess i'm doing that today.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Antenna configuration currently:

front_antenna.png

rear_antennas.png

roof_antennas.png

One of my roof NMO holes got dedicated to the new remote spotlight (which is the non-radio version to prevent RF interference) so there are 3 antennas up there.

Center one is a VHF 5/8 whip which is connected to the scanner, which mostly scans VHF with some UHF/700/800 analog in there.
Left side is the wilson antenna for the 4G Sleek cradle/booster.
Right side is a 800/1900 for the AT&T data modem.
Hood is a Comet wideband, 2m/70cm on the dual band ham radio.
Bedside is a 2 foot CB antenna for the CB.

This is the 'summer' configuration. I'm working for BLM Fire up in CO, so the state VHF radio is temporarily out of the truck.

I have a Motorola VHF/800 P25 portable issued to me for transmitting. I wished i could have found a convertacom for it, but by the time i could get one, my summer was halfway up, and didnt see the point of getting it, installing it, and using it for less then 2 months.

Interior pics coming shortly.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Interior shots:

interior_wide.png

Here you can see light controls, the ipad, the phone booster cradle and the radios.

ipad.png

After using both a samsung 7 inch tablet and a nexus 7, I found a good deal on an apple refurbished ipad mini 2. It is mounted in a lifeproof rugged case and a RAM mount ipad mini specific mount.
Normally, it has a t-mobile tablet line, which gives me 200 MB free each month, and 1 GB for $10 for 30 days. Up where I am working for the summer, T-mobile is non existant, and AT&T is the strong data provider, so right now, its running on an AT&T account.
Mapping program is Nokia's HERE Maps, which allow me to download maps state by state, and use a majority of the features off-line. I also have a topo map program with very detailed topo maps of all the public (USFS, NPS and BLM) lands that are in my juristiction.
Best part of the setup is the fact that i can pull two cords and immediately have an 8 inch rugged handheld GPS/Map that can be taken outside the truck. Battery life, especially with the screen turned all the way down, is pretty good. Used it on some overnight fires in the backcountry, and it lasted all night and into the next day before it was time to charge it again.

cradle.png

This new cradle is a Wilson Sleek 4G (the newer wilson one, no switch) Has a USB out to power the phone as well. Obviously the phone wasnt in it, since i was taking pictures with the phone. I've used it with verizon and at&t phones, and have had great results with it. Antenna is an NMO on the roof.

radio_stack.png

Top to bottom:
Speaker for the ham radio.
Icom IC-208
Uniden CB
Uniden BCT15X Scanner
Speaker for scanner

This icom is a workhorse. This is now the 4th vehicle it's been mounted in. I've owned it for at least 9 years, probably longer. Actually turned out to be more useful then i expected up here. Storm spotters, our fire lookouts, and a lot of people up here in the rural parts are hams.

CB is rather useful on the highways, especially on the way up here in May. Lots of trucks, and they are the best ones to get weather and road info from... When I drove home for memorial day, there was still ice and snow on the mountain passes, was able to better route my trip home because of it.

Scanner has ALL the federal channels in the BLM/NPS/USFS regions that i'm working. Also, even though nearly every town and county fire dept is on the P25 800 mhz state network, they still simulcast their fire pages on VHF for the old pagers. Also have the air to ground and air to air tac channels, all NIFC fire cache channels, and weather alerting.
Didnt see the point of spending the extra money on a digital version, since all my work related freq's are analog, and if i really NEEDED to hear anything on the state p25, i have a work issued portable with the frequencies, including the encrypted stuff i may need access to... also, when i go home, the city/county system is provoice anyway, so a p25 scanner wouldnt have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.