RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 11:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Yeah, much better than brackets and magnets. No compromises. I've installed a lot of them over the years, and never had one leak. Putting them in on a brand new truck takes some confidence in their quality. But, then again, I guess for those that are amateur radio operators, trying to install a radio on the wife's mini-van, they get over ruled.
I may have the opposite view of some but, for me, it would be easier to drill into a new vehicle that I know I'm going to have for several years than into one that I suspect I will only have for a year or two longer. I would be more likely to install an antenna in a more temp setup - whether mag mount, trunk lip, or fender l-bracket, than take the time and expense to drill the roof and install nmo mounts.

That's not to say that the nmo mounts aren't better - I certainly wouldn't argue that a mag mount is better than an nmo properly installed on the roof - just that I'd be much more likely to do a "right" install in a new(er) vehicle that I plan to drive awhile and should last me awhile than one I expect I'll be getting rid of in a few years.

But as I've said before in other threads, sometimes a hole-mounted nmo just isn't an option for whatever reason so at least there are some other options so that an antenna can be mounted and a mobile setup be possible...even if the results aren't as good as could be with an antenna on an nmo in the roof.

This install looks good...and I see some room for another radio or two in that mount/bracket! And the latest model GMC Sierra trucks are by far my favorite on the road right now as far as looks!
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2014, 6:17 PM

I'd drill a hole even if I was only keeping my vehicle for a few months... but that's just me. I also agree with mmckenna, if they leak, then it was not installed properly. I've seen countless installations with mounts not seated correctly, no O rings, a metal burr on the underside of the hole, or the famous enlarged and jagged oversized hole because someone used a 3/4 coarse regular metal hole saw. I've even seen some that look like a chisel was used to create a hole. So in a case like that, I suppose it is possible to have one leak.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
I'd drill a hole even if I was only keeping my vehicle for a few months... but that's just me. I also agree with mmckenna, if they leak, then it was not installed properly. I've seen countless installations with mounts not seated correctly, no O rings, a metal burr on the underside of the hole, or the famous enlarged and jagged oversized hole because someone used a 3/4 coarse regular metal hole saw. I've even seen some that look like a chisel was used to create a hole. So in a case like that, I suppose it is possible to have one leak.
The right tool for the job…I've used step bits (check every step and you're generally okay). I know people who use Greenlee knock out punches. There is also the NMO hole saw (I wonder what that is for?). Easiest way is to just have the dealership do it for you when you purchase it…then it is covered under their warranty.

I've never had one leak on me. When you're running more than 2 antennas, roof mount becomes the only real option.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8859 View Post
I agree, it does! I have been trying to figure out what else I should get. Any suggestions?
A scanner? I'm not sure what you have to monitor in your area - but a new truck deserves a new scanner - so go for the Uniden 536!

Mike
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, much better than brackets and magnets. No compromises. I've installed a lot of them over the years, and never had one leak. Putting them in on a brand new truck takes some confidence in their quality. But, then again, I guess for those that are amateur radio operators, trying to install a radio on the wife's mini-van, they get over ruled.
I'm getting ready to do a new radio install in my car, and I bought a coax with an NMO mount while ago for it off of ebay and it doesn't say anything about being double shielded, would it be worth discarding it and buying a double shielded one ? It will be used for VHF
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannermanner1 View Post
I'm getting ready to do a new radio install in my car, and I bought a coax with an NMO mount while ago for it off of ebay and it doesn't say anything about being double shielded, would it be worth discarding it and buying a double shielded one ? It will be used for VHF
Nah, not for VHF. The difference is negligible on lower frequencies. It makes a slight difference on the higher frequencies, but it's sort of splitting hairs.
Even at 800MHz, the difference is very slight. When I've purchased new mounts for new installs where I know I'll be using them on higher frequencies, I'll use them.
Old 09-30-2014, 1:32 PM

Default nice truck

Beautiful truck!Cool and clean looking.GMC is making a nice product,dig the stitching.
Old 09-30-2014, 5:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Nah, not for VHF. The difference is negligible on lower frequencies. It makes a slight difference on the higher frequencies, but it's sort of splitting hairs.
Even at 800MHz, the difference is very slight. When I've purchased new mounts for new installs where I know I'll be using them on higher frequencies, I'll use them.
In mobile application, the lowest loss line you can afford is what you're after. However, RG58 works for 80-90% of applications. You really don't even start considering other feed lines untill you get above 900 MHz. RG58 is what most cell antenna companies provide, it still obviously performs better than the cell phone's antenna.

There are two types of double shielded feedline. A braid with a foil shield (like what you'd use for mobile 8000+ MHz application) and then double braided (like what you'd used in full duplex application).
Old 10-01-2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannermanner1 View Post
Any performance tests with the 2 different phone booster antennas yet??
Used the new low profile antenna for the phone booster and it works great, went from 0 to full bars almost instantly.
Old 10-01-2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Used the new low profile antenna for the phone booster and it works great, went from 0 to full bars almost instantly.
nice, I'm glad it's working great for you!
Old 10-02-2014, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5PKY View Post
I love it when people aren't afraid of drilling holes in the roof.
I used to tell installers in the shop...you're not putting holes in a new car...you are installing antennae!

Nice setup, OP.
Old 10-03-2014, 3:13 PM

8859, I have an extra rain cap (black) that I'll never use. I can ship it out to you if need one. Just PM me an address.

Nice job. Nice truck.

Gordon
Old 10-03-2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NodrogCop View Post
8859, I have an extra rain cap (black) that I'll never use. I can ship it out to you if need one. Just PM me an address.

Nice job. Nice truck.

Gordon

Thanks! PM Sent.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a 2011 Silverado and was about to do pretty much the same install. I was just wondering about drilling into the floor. Is there anything I should look out for on the center hump or can you safely drill through just about anywhere?
Old 10-11-2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_505 View Post
I have a 2011 Silverado and was about to do pretty much the same install. I was just wondering about drilling into the floor. Is there anything I should look out for on the center hump or can you safely drill through just about anywhere?
I had no problems drilling through the middle of the center hump. I was careful not to drill very deep and the screws I used aren't very long. Good luck with your install!
Old 10-15-2014, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I had no problems drilling through the middle of the center hump. I was careful not to drill very deep and the screws I used aren't very long. Good luck with your install!
How long were your screws?
Old 10-18-2014, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjacobs2012 View Post
I'm not sure exactly how long they are. I will be replacing the radio bracket with a center console within a week or so and can measure them when I take them out if that helps.
Old 10-18-2014, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_505 View Post

It's always safer to slide under the vehicle and take a visual on the area where you want to drill. in most cases you will be fine. Bit it is much wiser to look first that be surprised later by the problem you may have caused.

How does that saying start, "An ounce of prevention"?
Old 11-01-2014, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjacobs2012 View Post
The screws were 1 1/2 inches.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2014, 1:57 PM

I changed out the console for a "C-AS-840-11 HAVIS 8"" Angled Series console". I bought it from swps, which was about $50 cheaper then any other website I could find. Fits perfectly in the truck. I used 4 of the same screws as mentioned above with washers to secure it.
Attached Images

Tags
1500, gmc, kenwood, sierra, truck