N9JIG Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
After we moved to Arizona I bought a new 2015 Honda Pilot. This replaces the Odyssey that I used to have.

I installed 4 NMO mounts on the roof and eventually have to figure out an HF solution. So far I have the 2 scanners (BCD996XT and a BCT15) and the Alinco DR-638 installed. I have an Icom IC-7000 but still need a high-amperage power source and an HF antenna mount before that is practical.

I have the 3 different Pro-Clip solutions but so far haven't needed them. I will hang on to them in case I decide to use them.

Below are the antennas. They are pretty straightforward NMO mounts with Comet and Larson dual band antennas. These work well for the scanners too. 1 is reserved for the IC-7000, 2 are connected to the scanners and one to the 638.

Ant2.JPG

Below are the radio heads up front.

Radio1.JPG

Radio2.JPG

The RH-96's are mounted to the front wall of the center console. One is usually used for CloseCall and the other for railroads, aviation or other scanning.

The 638 is actually mounted to a remote speaker that is just the right size to wedge into the little shelf below the air conditioning controls. I just screwed the head bracket to the top part of the speaker housing and wedged it in tightly.

The IC-7000 head will eventually end up on one of the ProClip mounts, I haven't decided where yet.

The radios themselves are located in the covered cargo area at the rear of the truck:

Rear1.JPG

You can see the spare antenna cable for the IC-7000 and the space it will go in once I get the antenna figured out. The remote head cable is already in place.

When you close the cargo cover the radios are out of sight:

Rear2.JPG

I have a Diamond lip mount like I had used in my previous Pilot and Odyssey. The issue I have (and had) is that there is a secondary lip on the hatch that prevents being able to get the allen wrench on to tighten them. I have used hex-head cap screws on my prior installs but they are hard to find out here so it will have to wait until I can get them or figure something else out.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Did you do all the drilling, wiring, and mounting yourself, Rich? Or did you find a local radio installation contractor in your new neighborhood or surrounding vicinity?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I found a local shop for the NMO mounts. I am wary of drilling in the roof when there are side-curtian airbags, AC stuff etc... The rest I did myself.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I found a local shop for the NMO mounts. I am wary of drilling in the roof when there are side-curtian airbags, AC stuff etc... The rest I did myself.

Care to share what they charged? Just curious what the going rate is these days.

Also I was wondering if those RH96's would fit down in the console under the sliding door? I see it open in the pictures but it's hard to tell how deep it is and what the clearance would be. I was just thinking that would be a super clean install if they could go out of sight with the slide of that door when parking. On the flip side, they are in the perfect spot right now for resting your arm on the armrest and adjusting them while mobile.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I paid about $400 for the installation of the antennas. I had thought about putting the RH96's below the sliding door and may eventually do so byt they are a little far out of reach there. The armrest location is easy to access. I just put a cloth cover over the heads to protect them from the sun if I park outside in the Arizona summer.

12dbsinad

I paid about $400 for the installation of the antennas. I had thought about putting the RH96's below the sliding door and may eventually do so byt they are a little far out of reach there. The armrest location is easy to access. I just put a cloth cover over the heads to protect them from the sun if I park outside in the Arizona summer.

400 bucks to pop in 4 antennas!? Wow! My local shop would charge about 2 hours labor MAX, probably less as drilling 3/4 holes is second nature to them.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
400 bucks to pop in 4 antennas!? Wow! My local shop would charge about 2 hours labor MAX, probably less as drilling 3/4 holes is second nature to them.

Apparently you are not familiar with the amount of work and time it takes to PROPERLY install NMO mounts in late model vehicles. There is a lot of trim panels. Side curtain airbags, wiring harnesses and to make matters more difficult there is a factory sunroof to deal with that has its own set of issues to avoid. So Id say $400 is a good deal.

I install radios and lights for a living and that is about what I would charge and it would take around all day to do the right way.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Apparently you are not familiar with the amount of work and time it takes to PROPERLY install NMO mounts in late model vehicles. There is a lot of trim panels. Side curtain airbags, wiring harnesses and to make matters more difficult there is a factory sunroof to deal with that has its own set of issues to avoid. So Id say $400 is a good deal.

I install radios and lights for a living and that is about what I would charge and it would take around all day to do the right way.

100% Correct!!! Disassembling and reassembling today's cars and light trucks is totally different from even 15 years ago. It is no longer a matter of pulling a few screws and dropping a headliner.

12dbsinad

I am very familiar as I do this everyday as well. I am just pointing out the fact on the cost for installing the antenna's ONLY, not the entire install. If it took all day to install 4 NMO's, then it would take a month to outfit a newer model cruiser with all the equipment, and would cost over 10 grand just in labor.

For the shop near me, this is stiff for 4 NMO's (even with a sunroof) just to drill and run the coax. And I can clue you it is done right. This was all I was getting at. Every area is different, and for mine this is on the high side.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Yes, it was expensive but after popping down $45K for the car I didn't complain. I do miss my shop back in Illinois I worked with for years. He would have done them for free and in return I would help program radios and do some other consulting.

SCPD

QRT
For $400 it's worth every penny of it!. When it comes to drilling NMO mounts in cars, I let the pro's deal with it. The screwing it up risk factor is high and never once had a problem with an NMO mount antenna that was installed by a two-way shop.

N9JIG, how are you liking it down there?.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
The other key is don't use cheap knock-off NMO mounts purchased from suspicious dealers. You will be sorry, as they will rust, leak, and be next to difficult to remove from your install. My install tech only uses quality NMO mounts, and NEVER uses them 2nd hand or removed from another previous installation. Cables are always dressed, and terminated with proper connectors. We try to stay away from adaptors if at all possible. Have it done right the first time, and you will have years of good service from your antenna installation(s).

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The other key is don't use cheap knock-off NMO mounts purchased from suspicious dealers. You will be sorry, as they will rust, leak, and be next to difficult to remove from your install. My install tech only uses quality NMO mounts, and NEVER uses them 2nd hand or removed from another previous installation. Cables are always dressed, and terminated with proper connectors. We try to stay away from adaptors if at all possible. Have it done right the first time, and you will have years of good service from your antenna installation(s).

What brand(s) do you recommend? Are you talking Larsen, Laird, and the like?

N9JIG

Sheriff
In the past I used the Motorola NMO mounts with the white nylon coax and Mini-UHF connectors. I have since run out of them so I was "stuck" with using Larson mounts on the last 2 cars. They have worked fine, never leaked or had issues.

I do remove the copper rings each fall and put a little dab of lithium grease on the O-ring or replace the O-ring if cracked and replace the rubber washer under the whip. I suspect that will be even more important now that I am in Arizona and these would dry out quicker.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
K9WSS's car was done with all Comtelco. We use Laird too but mostly in the higher Mhz range.

wd9cms

Your install looks great!!! Wish you were closer but welcome to the Southwest. I moved out to New Mexico from Berkeley Ill. 30+ years ago and still love it.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.