N9JIG AZ Shack Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I finally got my antenna coaxes run into the attic, the tile guys replaced the floor and the carpenters finished tearing out the wall, running the coaxes into the attic and repairing/painting the wall.
(See http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/312814-n9jig-new-home-shack.html and http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-equipment-installation-forum/312971-fire-stops-walls.html for the adventures).

I have some of the antennas installed in the attic now, including 4 ST-2's and a couple dual banders as well as the ADSB antenna. HF and other antennas are going to have to wait for winter, I can't easily access the more remote parts of the attic and it is just too darn hot to spend more that an hour up there. The coax is there, I just need to install the antennas themselves.

I first built the cabinets in the workshop. I have 3 of them but now that I am retired I don't need as many radios. I might break down later and add the third cabinet, but for now I can do with the 2. I even thought of using just one and putting the R8500 on the desk instead of racking it and that also remains a possibility for later.

Here are the fronts of the two cabinets in the shop: (I don't have all the rack screws in yet in these pics, they are all there now...)

LeftFront.jpg

RightFront.jpg

Here are the rear of the cabinets:

RightRear.jpg

LeftRear.jpg

Each cabinet has an AC power strip, a RigRunner PowerPole strip, and an 8-port Stridsberg multicoupler. The right cabinet also has a 4-port multicoupler since there are 10 radios in it.

Here are the coax lines after the carpenters were done and before the paint was dry:

Coax.jpg

Part 2 will show the installed racks and the completed office.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Part 2:

After the construction was done I brought back in the furniture. I placed the racks on the desk (bought specifically to fit 3 racks and to match the color).

Overall.jpg

The left cabinet has the R8500, the Kenwood D700 Dual Bander as well as 5 scanners (Pro197, 4 BCT15's). On top is my IC-7000 with the autotuner.

Left.jpg

The right cabinet has 10 scanners, including an HP1, a BCD536HP, 2 BCD996XT's, 4 BCT15X's and 2 BCT15's.

On top are the more recent and often used handhelds, including a BCD436HP, a BCD325P2, a BCD396XT and a Pro106.

I have clocks for each of the mainland USA time zones. I talk to people all over the country all day long and it makes it easy to tell at a glance what time it is there.

Right.jpg

In the corner, sort of behind the monitor are chargers for some of my radios, including a Kenwood, a Wouxen, a VX-8R, an HT1550 and others. These are on a separate power strip so that when I don't need to charge I can just power it down.

Chargers.jpg

(BTW, that is just a reflection on the wall, my painters weren't that bad...)

My computers in the office include my main Mac, a new iMac 5K 27 inch with a 4.2 GHz i7 and 32GB of RAM. I use this for work as well as play and do most of my programming of radios on it via Parallels. I have a second 27 inch monitor as well.

The Windows computer is a couple years old but has plenty of horsepower to run the AirNav RadarBox and Pro96Com. I can also program

radios with it if needed.

Comp.jpg

I also have a TV on the wall so I can keep up with the news or watch my stuff when Wifey has her stuff on the big TV in the living room. Since my office is just off the living room we can communicate back and forth so she doesn't seem ignored when I actually am ignoring her.

TV.jpg

I am putting in a camera system at the house to supplement the one on my alarm and will use this monitor for that.

The next project is to program all the radios. Most of the BCT15's are going to be set up for Military Air since my area is always buzzing with fighter jets.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I think incredible is almost an under statement. This looks great. Very impressive. And quite an adventure on getting the coax ran from the sound of it. Glad you got it worked out.

I'm going to ask a question that probably is of no interest to others on the thread so if you want to PM me the answer/info then feel free to do so. But my question is...is that a phone system phone on your desk? Or an IP phone for work or something? Just curious. Looks like more than just the basic desk phone. Again, that probably doesn't interest very many on here but I've had a slight interest in getting some sort of small IP system (or single phone) at home so when I saw it, it caught my attention (along with everything else!).

Happy scanning!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Yes, it is an IP phone. I work for ScannerMaster doing phone support and sales with this phone.

Before I retired from the PD we were working on a new IP phone system using very similar equipment. I would have probably had one at home too, all of the senior staff and department heads would have. It is amazing what they can do with them these days!

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I noticed your BCT15s have a green LED on their right, which I assume comes on when the radio is transmitting sound but I could be wrong. Is that an option with that model or something you added yourself? Looks great!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I noticed your BCT15s have a green LED on their right, which I assume comes on when the radio is transmitting sound but I could be wrong. Is that an option with that model or something you added yourself? Looks great!

Yes, that is exactly what they are, based on a design from N1SQB at http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-carrier-indicator-light-uniden-scanners.html

I have them on some, but not all of the scanners. One of these days I will get around to completing the fleet.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is an IP phone. I work for ScannerMaster doing phone support and sales with this phone.

Before I retired from the PD we were working on a new IP phone system using very similar equipment. I would have probably had one at home too, all of the senior staff and department heads would have. It is amazing what they can do with them these days!

Oh yes, I forgot that you worked for them. If I had remembered that I would have made the connection with the job and the fancy phone.

N9JIG

Sheriff
what do you listen to?

Everything!

I am new to the area so I am still feeling my way around the various systems but I am planning on doing a lot of Mil Air here. The rest depends on what I can get with attic antennas and perhaps a future hidden outside antenna due to HOA restrictions.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I don't know what I like better...your setup or the fact you have your own office away from the wife [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, I recently received an AR-DV1 and a WS1095. For now they are installed here at home, but I suspect the 1095 may end up in the car once I get more familiar with it. I still prefer my Unidens of course but the 1095 is certainly an interesting radio.

In this photo the 1095 head is attached to the metal blank below the R8500 using the magnetic mounts, the radio body is stashed away behind the racks. The AR-DV1 is placed on top of the auto-tuner as I have no mounting plates for it.

Shack072415a.jpg

I am posting in the appropriate forums of my experiences on each of these radios, I have had mixed results with each.

Status
Not open for further replies.