2004 Trailblazer build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8OHU

Okay, all the nice vehicle builds have got me itching to do one of my own, though it's going to take me a while to get all of the parts and pieces gathered up.

I'm starting with a slightly dinged 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer with the 4200 Vortec inline 6 cylinder engine, automatic transmission and 4 wheel drive. It has some cosmetic damage that I will fix along the way; hitting two deer within a year tends to leave marks. :)

The list of items to be installed is as follows:

Viper SmartStart alarm system and remote starter with GPS location capabilities
Havis IdleRight 2
Havis ChargeGuard
Havis C-VS-1300-TBZ console
Havis PKG-PSM-125 passenger side mount
Yaesu FTM-400DR System Fusion transceiver with APRS
Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF transceiver
Icom ID-880H VHF/UHF D-STAR transceiver
Garmin nuviCAM GPS/Dash cam
Garmin BC-30 backup camera
ArgentData GTRANS for an FTM-350 (will need a cable mod to work with the FTM-400DR)
Cradlepoint router
NMO antenna mounts

I already have the Icom ID-880H in the truck, but it will be physically relocated and wired in better and will have a different antenna location.

Will post some pictures of the truck as is tomorrow.

N8OHU

Havis console sounds like it will come in handy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes indeed; that's where the radios will take up residence in the truck once I get it installed.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Mine was always a case do I really want to truly accessorize a vehicle that is only worth about $3000?

Now it's a case of do I really want to rebuild the engine of a vehicle that's only worth $3000? Solution, let it sit a field for a number of years until it's needed for something.

S

SARCommCoord

This is just me but.. instead of installing everything that is clearly worth more then the vehicle you drive, how about using the money to instead repair your vehicle?

N8OHU

This is just me but.. instead of installing everything that is clearly worth more then the vehicle you drive, how about using the money to instead repair your vehicle?

In my case, it's going to be do the minor repairs that are need as I do the other work, since I can't afford to have the vehicle down for very long; all that needs repaired on it is the grille, front bumper skin and license plate holder (one bad thing about living in a state that requires both license plates). I also use the vehicle a lot for ham radio activities, including SKYWARN, so the radios and antennas will be used a lot.

S

SARCommCoord

In my case, it's going to be do the minor repairs that are need as I do the other work, since I can't afford to have the vehicle down for very long; all that needs repaired on it is the grille, front bumper skin and license plate holder (one bad thing about living in a state that requires both license plates). I also use the vehicle a lot for ham radio activities, including SKYWARN, so the radios and antennas will be used a lot.

Hmm.. alrighty then. As long as you are happy with your install.

N8OHU

Okay, here are some images of the truck as it sits in the driveway now. Please note the roof rack; it probably won't be there in the next set of images I post, as it has to go to make room for the NMO mounts the way I will probably have to install them. I will do my best to keep the two main transmitting antennas for the VHF/UHF radios far enough apart to avoid blowing out the receiver on the APRS radio.

Attachments

• IMG_20150830_161614594-2.jpg
    IMG_20150830_161614594-2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,145
  • IMG_20150830_161627432-2.jpg
    IMG_20150830_161627432-2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMG_20150830_161655158-2.jpg
    IMG_20150830_161655158-2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • IMG_20150830_161716284_HDR-2.jpg
    IMG_20150830_161716284_HDR-2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,123

Project25_MASTR

Well, if you were closer I'd be more than willing to let you start grabbing some parts off my 04 EXT. The Westin (non-badged) grill guard for example…

N8OHU

Well, if you were closer I'd be more than willing to let you start grabbing some parts off my 04 EXT. The Westin (non-badged) grill guard for example…

That's something that's not on the list, but is an item I've been seriously considering for a while, and that was well before the first deer almost two years ago.

N8OHU

Okay, back to this again. Have held off on getting the stuff I was thinking about initially in favor of some very limited use warning lighting; all in Amber, and most of what's installed isn't obvious to the average person unless I choose to have it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2q2X8ctRKE

All Amber lighting currently installed is Feniex Industries Cannon hideaways; front set is actually wired in as replacements for the front turn signals and running lights using Emergency LED Supply's Module 2.0 to enable dimming of the Cannons for the running light application and using mode 3 to override the flash pattern. Sides are in the front of the running boards, though I may replace them with something else later on, I haven't decided. Rear lights are in the bottom of the backup light portion of the tail light housing. The lighting is controlled by a Feniex Industries 4200 mini controller mounted in the overhead console.

Project25_MASTR

Okay, back to this again. Have held off on getting the stuff I was thinking about initially in favor of some very limited use warning lighting; all in Amber, and most of what's installed isn't obvious to the average person unless I choose to have it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2q2X8ctRKE

All Amber lighting currently installed is Feniex Industries Cannon hideaways; front set is actually wired in as replacements for the front turn signals and running lights using Emergency LED Supply's Module 2.0 to enable dimming of the Cannons for the running light application and using mode 3 to override the flash pattern. Sides are in the front of the running boards, though I may replace them with something else later on, I haven't decided. Rear lights are in the bottom of the backup light portion of the tail light housing. The lighting is controlled by a Feniex Industries 4200 mini controller mounted in the overhead console.

I thought about headlight bulb replacements with my Sierra with the Cannons. I would've done dual color in the reverse housings though. I just ordered the 2x dash light for demo purposes since my last demo light (mini bar) was a 2nd gen light.

N8OHU

I thought about headlight bulb replacements with my Sierra with the Cannons. I would've done dual color in the reverse housings though. I just ordered the 2x dash light for demo purposes since my last demo light (mini bar) was a 2nd gen light.

Dual color (Amber/White) was an option I thought about, but skipped for several reasons. One, on the Trailblazer (I don't know about any of the others based on the same chassis, though) the tail light assembly has a unified mount for all bulbs, which would have had to be reworked. Two, I wanted to keep a backup alarm on it, and that is integrated into one of my current backup light bulbs. I am planning on getting the 2X and a Fusion 600 (both Amber, of course) to add in as I go.

Project25_MASTR

Dual color (Amber/White) was an option I thought about, but skipped for several reasons. One, on the Trailblazer (I don't know about any of the others based on the same chassis, though) the tail light assembly has a unified mount for all bulbs, which would have had to be reworked. Two, I wanted to keep a backup alarm on it, and that is integrated into one of my current backup light bulbs. I am planning on getting the 2X and a Fusion 600 (both Amber, of course) to add in as I go.

I ordered the 2x with Red/Amber and Blue/White modules. I am also trying the Speed Turtle EFM 2.0 out but my Sierra won't officially be supported until next month.

I forgot about the combo harness for the lights. I junked my 04 a year ago.

N8OHU

I finally did it. I drilled a hole for the antenna mount.

Attachments

• NMO mounted antenna.jpg
    NMO mounted antenna.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 482

SCPD

QRT
Man I hope you are showing the hole you are going to use.....Otherwise you in trouble.
I am guessing the antenna thats there is just freestanding?

N8OHU

Man I hope you are showing the hole you are going to use.....Otherwise you in trouble.
I am guessing the antenna thats there is just freestanding?
I will fill the hole you see with silicone, as it's too far back to use (there is a brace foe the roof there).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CCHLLM

Redrill the errant hole to 3/8 inch diameter and install a 3/8 inch antenna hole plug from Tram Antennas in it. Job done! I speak from personal experience with errant antenna holes done by other installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.