2017 GMC Canyon Denali

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4RZT

Recently finished installing my radio in my truck. Really happy with the results. I wanted a very clean install with no wires showing, so I had to drill holes. Quite a few of them. This was my very first permanent install of a Ham Radio and I must say it was a little scary drilling the holes but I took about two months to figure out where I wanted everything to go, then figured out how to route the wires. Only then did I start drilling holes. Measure twice, cut once.

• Icom ID-5100A
  • Icom SP-35
  • Larsen 2M/70CM SH NMO Antenna
  • RJ45 and RJ12 Panel Mount Jacks for Mic and Control Head Cables

Details on the full install can be found here:

img_0564.jpg

Radio installed under rear passenger seat.
img_0532-e1500853811338.jpg

Cut a slit in the carpet to run microphone and control head cables under carpet to front center console.
img_0547.jpg

Larsen 2/70SH NMO Antenna on the roof. Used a Greenlee punch for the hole. Worked great!
img_0527.jpg

RJ45 and RJ12 Panel Mounts for the microphone and control head cable.
img_0517.jpg

Control head attached using a RAM Mount to center console.
img_0542.jpg

Icom SP-35 mounted under and in front of rear seat storage area.
img_0496.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Very nice.

Done right, done neatly and well thought out. And I bet it works well, too.

How do you like that truck?
I had a 2005 Canyon, extended cab, I-5 engine and a manual transmission. Z-71 package, but 2 wd. Was a fun truck to drive, small enough to run around town, could get 25mpg+ on the highway. Long trips were a bit uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I had various radios installed in it with permanent NMO mounts on the roof.
I've got a 2007 as a work truck, like my 2005, but auto transmission. VHF and 800MHz work radios. Been a nice truck.

I like the looks of the new ones.

KM4RZT

Thanks! I love my truck. Gets decent gas mileage, 22 mpg. Drives great, handles great. Has 4WD but haven't taken it off road yet. I get lots of compliments on how it looks.

a3da7a34ee9b14686332a2f9ad8facfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Outstanding! Drilling holes is daunting at first but really the only way to go. It gets easier after the first 50 or so (I work in a radio shop)!

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Too often I see comments in these threads saying "wow, clean install!" when it's got dusty control heads with a thick layer of nicotine coating, tangled wires all over the place and McDonald's bags on the floor in front of the passenger's seat.

But, really, this one is clean. Nice job!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Great job.

Your planning has paid off. It looks amazing, everything is nice and neat. You have given me some great ideas for my own install.

I just got my 2014 TDI Jetta back from the body shop after taking C$9100 worth of hail damage, and now I am in the planning stages of installing my TM-V71a. I commute 150km round trip each day and really miss having a radio in the car.

mrweather

Well done! My father has a 2015 Colorado Z71 and loves it.

I'm especially impressed with your control head and mic cable "patch panel" you installed. Looks almost factory!

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Very well done. I do have a question on the RJ45 jacks/plates. I have been searching for a similar jack plate for my truck. Were did you fint them. All my searches show up nothing when i search for chassis mount/flush mount. all i can find is plastic junk.

markspoo

Premium Subscriber
Nice install.
Could you please share where you obtained the panel mount RJ45 and RJ12 Female connectors from.

Thanks

PACNWDude

That looks very nice. Almost worries me though that remote control heads are almost required in newer vehicles.

I have been lucky so far, all of my vehicles have had a decent console or storage space to place radios.

You did a great job on that installation, and it should hold up for years to come. Taking your time paid off.

Thank you for sharing.

N5TWB

Very well done. I do have a question on the RJ45 jacks/plates. I have been searching for a similar jack plate for my truck. Were did you fint them. All my searches show up nothing when i search for chassis mount/flush mount. all i can find is plastic junk.

Nice install.
Could you please share where you obtained the panel mount RJ45 and RJ12 Female connectors from.

Thanks

There's a link in the first post to his webpage where he provides links for all the materials used in the project.

N8OHU

Dang; you mean GM actually got smart after 2004 and left the terminals on the engine compartment fuse panel exposed so you could get to them without pulling the cover off? I"m using the one inside my 2004 Trailblazer for the battery power for my ID-880H and Feniex Industries 4200 Mini controller, but even that one has the terminals covered so I had to take that off to hook up the wiring. And, I like where you chose to mount the microphone; mine is hanging from the dash, but in the same general spot otherwise.

KM4RZT

The accessory panel is covered but it designed so there is room for extra cabling for installs like this. Really nice setup and close to the grounding point on the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.