Scanner Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

I have had several scanners on my radio desk for a while and I wanted to make them, collectively, more portable so I came up with this. So far it works really well but I am thinking about replacing the Radio Shack scanner with something digital. Like any project, this one is not likely to end.

From top to bottom, control head for Icom PCR-2500, Uniden BCD 996XT, Radio Shack 2055, Icom PCR-2500 and MFJ 4128 power supply with dual USB charging ports. On the back I am using a Stridsberg multi-coupler to feed all four antenna jacks with one antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 4,106
  • Img_1981.jpg
    Img_1981.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4,026

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
This is a very nice clean setup! I like it.

I am also curious about the rack that is holding the scanners in place, is it custom built?

ka1njl

This is a very nice clean setup! I like it.

I am also curious about the rack that is holding the scanners in place, is it custom built?

The rack is from Scanner Master. It works great but it wasn't inexpensive so it took a few days before I got comfortable with drilling holes in it. Once I got over my initial fear things went smoothly.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I like the way you used the scanner bracket to mount the multicoupler.

If you ever decide to go with an external antenna you could just reverse the bracket so the coax would face down.

ka1njl

I like the way you used the scanner bracket to mount the multicoupler.

If you ever decide to go with an external antenna you could just reverse the bracket so the coax would face down.

Rich,

I considered that but for strictly aesthetic reasons I decided to let the four scanner feedlines hang downward. I do expect to connect the rack to a discone someday soon so I'll see what it is like having that feedline on top. If I don't like it I'll invert the multicoupler as you suggest.

BTW, your shack builds and rebuilds (and rebuilds) have inspired me to organize things in my own shack. This is the first step.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Awesome set up, but my questions are:

1. Where did you get the custom antenna cables?

2. There's no way you transmit on the Icom using the multicoupler and that scanner antenna!

Mike

ka1njl

I'd love to

OCD kicking in....fix that ICOM, level it up :lol:

(nice job)

The back of the radio is hitting two of the bolts holding the bracket on the back, the one on which the multicoupler is mounted. I too have OCD but I've learned to live with it.

ka1njl

Awesome set up, but my questions are:

1. Where did you get the custom antenna cables?

2. There's no way you transmit on the Icom using the multicoupler and that scanner antenna!

Mike

The antenna cables came from Amazon, 6" BNC to BNC. If I remember right they were pretty inexpensive and they beat taking the effort to build short cables.

The Icom is a receiver, a dual receiver actually. It doesn't transmit but it hears very well.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Very nice and neat - streamlined. Giving me good ideas as I have just pulled the trigger on the same multi-coupler for my main scanners. Nice job

John

Status
Not open for further replies.