RF power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Not mine (obviously) I wouldn't be able to afford to run this for 10 minutes never mind days at a time....
I also clearly don't have a clear understanding of the parts and exactly how they get put together.
I figured I would post this up as the numbers are pretty impressive (to me anyway)

To think, not one watt of this RF power leaves the building.

There are four 20kw RF amplifiers those get piped into two combiners and the output of those get combined again. There is another booster that bumps things up to 100kw (not running now)
Not sure how that gets piped in...

Things I found interesting:
they create a slurry of baking soda? and water mixed to 50 ohms to use as a dummy load when needed. That slurry gets circulated through a heat exchanger to dissipate heat.

the pipes in the last pic are filled with deionized water to cool the output and pipe it down to the load.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 767

N5TWB

What is the end use or goal of the entire process, assuming we're allowed to know without the penalty of death?

westcoaster

It's what powers a cyclotron.

nuclear particle accelerator... So, pretty close to 88Mph and I think they have that flux capacitor prototype leaning up against the wall in the corner...

I need to wear a radiation dosimeter every time I visit the place...

N5TWB

It's what powers a cyclotron.

nuclear particle accelerator... So, pretty close to 88Mph and I think they have that flux capacitor prototype leaning up against the wall in the corner...

I need to wear a radiation dosimeter every time I visit the place...

Thanks for the info. Pretty impressive welding on that piping system, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.