2017 GMC Sierra 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Havis Shield console with seat bracket mount purchased through Strobes N More with 2 fender mount antennas. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes into a new truck. Scanner has an external speaker sitting between the console and the middle seat pointed upwards. Power for both units is on ignition and RAP. Times out after 10 min on this truck when not running or if door opens. Used the fuse panel on the drivers side cab. There was an accessory blade accessible with 50amps so both positives wires were crimped into 1 spade connector for that and both grounds mounted to their own bolts under there somewhere.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,580
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,587
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,602
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,629
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,614

12dbsinad

Nice! Looks good! Those antennas would LOVE to be up on that roof, however :)

sfd119

Good looking install...however you shouldn't have a mobile radio running into a blade connector to a door fuse box. Run the power wire to the battery like it was mentioned in your last thread...

K7MFC

WRAA720
Good looking install...however you shouldn't have a mobile radio running into a blade connector to a door fuse box. Run the power wire to the battery like it was mentioned in your last thread...

I'd second this. That 50A accessory circuit is most likely already in use, and any added current draw via that fuse tap could be dangerous. A 50+ watt radio is going to draw a decent amount of current, and the scanner will draw a few additional amps.

That's a nice new truck with a great looking console, why skimp out on the wiring? I would suggest adding a new circuit direct from the battery with a sub panel inside the console to allow easy re-configuration.

billreitan

Though I have a 2012 Sierra, how did you find the "RAP" circuit? FYI, nice install !!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Have sometimes wanted to get one of those consoles for my '15 Silverado...though my radios now all three have remote heads so it'd probably be overkill in my install...

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you have a couple NMO's mounted in the roof no one would ever see them once removed, such as when you are selling the vehicle. Just get a couple rubber plugs, and after you remove the whip take off the brass external retainer, push the center part of the NMO down into the space between the headliner and roof and put in the plug. Cut the other end of the coax off so that you can tuck the remains into the trim and no one will ever know.

If they went back and looked at a dozen of my past vehicles they will find between 3 and 7 holes on the roof all plugged this way. Never lost a dime in trade-in value.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If you have a couple NMO's mounted in the roof no one would ever see them once removed, such as when you are selling the vehicle. Just get a couple rubber plugs, and after you remove the whip take off the brass external retainer, push the center part of the NMO down into the space between the headliner and roof and put in the plug. Cut the other end of the coax off so that you can tuck the remains into the trim and no one will ever know.

If they went back and looked at a dozen of my past vehicles they will find between 3 and 7 holes on the roof all plugged this way. Never lost a dime in trade-in value.

Agreed. I don't think I'd even "hide" them - just put a cover on the outside mount and make sure the coax is tucked up out of sight and out of the way on the inside. You never know - having those mounts might be of value to someone in the future.

Res21cue

Feed Provider

I remember this being mentioned in the last thread but Im curious as to the concern. This is the 4th vehicle ive owned with this scanner / vhf combo and Ive always used fuse taps and acces. blades without issue so Ive never considered using battery as I never had an issue.

If I researched correctly I believe this 50A circuit I am on includes the cig lighter plug in the dash (Not the one in the center console) and that is now blocked and inaccessible because of the console anyways.

My other option was a box of blades under the dash to the left of the brake pedal. Thats the "Up Fit" box the GM Mechanic told me about.

So far so good but ill def keep a close eye on things and if problems develop ill have to adjust

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The risk is noise being introduced through the power feed.

The issue with tapping into existing wiring is that you don't know what else it's shared with. Some of the vehicle systems are a bit noisy, and that noise can get into your radio via the power feed.

Also, "shared" circuits can be an issue if you don't know exactly how much capacity you have available.

If it's working well, then you are probably OK, just keep it in mind if you decide to add more radios/accessories down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.