Patch Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Finally got my patch panel installed!

The kid was out for a couple weeks and we (well, he mostly) took down the wall where my coaxes come down from the attic and we released the tie-downs. We then pulled most of the coaxes and replaced them with newer/better ones. (Some of them were way too long or junk so we replaced them with shorter and better cable types).

In addition to some new networking gear (AP in the ceiling and new router/switch/gateway, all managed) we rearranged some of the antennas in the attic to separate them and make them work with shorter coax runs.

After getting the new coax run we replaced the removed drywall, leaving a space for the coaxes to exit the wall. He then framed the patch panel and mudded the wall. After sanding we installed the patch panel and reassembled the office.

The radio equipment and furniture has not changed from the last pictures (See https://forums.radioreference.com/p...ain-spetember-2017-time-will-last-longer.html) but I reversed the arrangement to accommodate the wife's preferences.

The room will be repainted and re-textured this fall along with the rest of the interior of the house. This will actually be an easy room to take down and put back, the furniture breaks down easily and the radio stuff is pretty easy to put back the way I want it. We just move all the parts to the garage until the paint is dry.

Here are the pics: (Sorry the order of the pics got hosed...)

The first picture shows the finished wall before the patch panel is installed.

The second shows the completed wall with the panel after sanding. The wall will be repainted in a few months.

The third shows the panel itself and the fourth a closer view of it. We also added the networking jacks since the router, gateway and modem are to be installed nearby. One jack goes to the Access Point installed in the ceiling in the center of the house, the other jacks lead to the alarm system, the entertainment wall and a future access point location if I need it later.

The fifth picture shows the opened wall before the wallboard and panel framing was installed. The panel is mounted with wood screws to the studs. The studs are 20 inches apart and are actually 2x6's since this is a wet wall (laundry room on the other side). The extra depth allowed me to mount the panel flush on the wall instead of having to bump it out to prevent excessive bends in the coax.

The coaxes are RG6QS (for the ST-2's) and a mixture of RG214, RG8X, LMR400 and a few RG58's for the HF stuff.

Attachments

• 3Raw.jpg
    3Raw.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 4Final.jpg
    4Final.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,693
  • 5Panel.jpg
    5Panel.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,703
  • 6Close.jpg
    6Close.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,714
  • 2Open.jpg
    2Open.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,715

PACNWDude

Very nice. I need to do this myself. Never expected my own shack to have the need for this type of panel, but it would clean up my mess.

Thank you for sharing pictures.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Wow.. Impressive!

I've been thinking of doing something like that. ( I just don't have the 'energy') :) The other thing is putting casters on the legs of my desk making it easier to pull away from the wall so I can access to the rats nest of wall-warts and power cables.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Rich, did you consider mounting the patch panel higher on the wall. Seems like it would be easier to reach, and easier to read the labels on the jacks, if it was 30-40 inches above finished floor. But, that may not be compatible with your furniture.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Any higher and I would have had issues with either the electric wire or the box for the dryer outlet on the opposite wall. Higher than those would have been above the dek and visible.

The height chosen allows me to just pull out the radio rack (on casters) to access it, or if I change my mind and put drawers there I can just pop the drawers out.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Stellar, as always. Looking forward to the follow-up photos of everything back in place.

So is this used to just simplify connecting a particular antenna to your different scanners and radios (i.e. as opposed to the coax just coming into the room through a hole) I guess? Or do you foresee yourself accessing the panel often to change what radio is connected to what antenna?

N9JIG

Sheriff
So is this used to just simplify connecting a particular antenna to your different scanners and radios (i.e. as opposed to the coax just coming into the room through a hole) I guess? Or do you foresee yourself accessing the panel often to change what radio is connected to what antenna?

Pretty much. I was tired of all the extra wires as I have about 22 antennas in the attic and use about 12 at a time. It allows me to change to a different one easily and avoid clutter.

It was also a proof of concept for me. We are considering a new home, probably having it built, and if we follow thru I would do something like this. I envision a tower at the new house and would have the coaxes from the tower terminate on a grounded panel like this on the outside, along with polyphasers. On the inside I would then just need jumpers to the radios. In that case I would have all "N" connectors and get jumpers with "N"'s at one end and whatever the radio has at the other.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Sounds good - and designing and building a home around the "perfect shack" would be pretty amazing. I could even foresee planning some in-ceiling speakers or something in strategic places around the house that you could "pipe" the sound (from whatever scanner to whatever room) if you weren't going to be sitting in the office/shack. One of those rack mixers like an X32 Rack digital mixer (computer or iPad/tablet controlled) would be handy in that situation.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Very nice. Any outside views of your antenna setups?

All my antennas are in the attic as I live in an HOA. My house is sprawling but the attic is crowded with AC ducts etc. so pictures of the antennas are pretty much impossible. I have antennas scattered thruout the attic. A friend of mine installed most of them as I am not nimble enough to crawl under ducts and joists.

Status
Not open for further replies.