N9JIG Summer 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
So here are the first pictures of my upcoming Summer 2018 shack. So far I have the new desk, one of those electric risible ones. I have the iMac and 2 outside monitors on it. Everything is pretty much self contained on the desk, behind the left monitor is the UPS and the wires are all bundled behind the computers. Basically the only wires I have coming off of it is a power cable for the integrated power strip and the network cable for the work IP Phone.

Also on the desk is my SDS100, I suspect I will also end up putting the HP-1 and HP-2 there as well with a 4-port multicoupler so that I have only 1 antenna cable to this desk.

I am expecting delivery today on the 42u networking cabinet. In this cabinet I will have all my radios racked, including the following:

IC746Pro, R8500
BCD536HP, BCD996P2, BCD996XT
BCD15X (4),BCD15 (8),PSR600 (4)
CDM1250-UHF,TYT dual bander, Kenwood TM-D700
And a few power supplies, decoders etc.

I am not sure yet where the Windows computer is going, it may end up in the cabinet to run ProScan, ARC-xxx, the RadarBox etc. I might hang the monitor on an arm off the side of the cabinet or on a separate desk next to it.

I have a couple 13-port USB hubs that will allow me to keep all the scanners connected to the computer for control, programming or updates.

This whole idea was from the wife, since we are going to have the house painted later this summer so she wanted to be able to pull the office apart easily. The server cabinet keeps all the radio stuff self contained and the computer desk pulls from the wall easily. Just unplug a couple wires and move it to the center of the room and drape it with a tarp before the painters get to work.

Over the next week or so I will be placing equipment in the rack. I have a rack being made for the 746, everything else I already have racked from prior incarnations of the shack.

Attachments

• 060518down.jpg
    060518down.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,545
  • 060518up.jpg
    060518up.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,543

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The standing desk is a great idea; I sometimes wish I had one myself. Looks like you're using all of it's space!

Looking forward to seeing the rack. I had seen your other thread in the radio installs subforum.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Rich's new setup

Always cool to see what you're up to next! 1 question? Did you consider wall mounts for the monitors?

Oh wait I forgot... What about all those airplane models? Garage sale? Let me know, worth the drive for me from Las Vegas.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Always cool to see what you're up to next! 1 question? Did you consider wall mounts for the monitors?

Oh wait I forgot... What about all those airplane models? Garage sale? Let me know, worth the drive for me from Las Vegas.

Probably stepping in when I shouldn't since he can speak for himself but I think they are painting so that is probably why wall mounting the displays wouldn't work.

EDIT: It may have been in the other thread where he mentioned the painting; not sure if he did here or not (and too lazy to re-read post 1 haha).

N9JIG

Sheriff

Mounting to the desk and cabinet gives me the ability to change things up as I am known to do often. We have the TV in that room mounted to the wall but that is it.

I still have the planes but only a few are unboxed now. Send me a PM or email, I will make you a great deal!

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Very nice setup as always Rich! I just bought a Viotek GN34C 34" 100hz curved screen that I use for gaming and everyday browse the Internet. Also, The monitor works really with Dump1090, PlanePlotter, MilAirComms1090, Virtual Radar and Plane Finder airplane tracking software.

- Jamie

N9JIG

Sheriff
Part 2, the cabinet

UPS Freight delivered the cabinet on a pallet today. They had it listed as "Wire ties and cables" so I was worried a bit when they called to schedule it. They described the box properly and I was pretty sure it would be right. When they showed up this morning it was the only box left on the truck, I live so far away from town that it was the last delivery to be made and they only hit my neighborhood twice a week.

After we muscled it into the house the driver took the pallet and cardboard for me, saving me that hassle.

After work was done I started figuring out what would go where. I already had a pretty decent idea of the probable layout but I had to have the rack here first to be sure. As it was I was pretty much right on.

I started out with the R8500 and IC746Pro as these would be the radios I would interact the most manually. I put the R8500 pretty much at desktop level when sitting and the 746 above it. This allows endless dial turning easily.

Directly below the R8500 are the PL/DPL/DTMF and MDC decoders. below them are the GMRS and dual banders. The TYT is rack mounted and the Kenwood D700 head will go in front of the top power supply.

The 746 will have its own power supply built into the rack for it. I will use 2 Astron rack mounted supplies, one for the two-ways and another for the scanners. There is an AC strip inside the cabinet for the stuff that needs it and one on the front for quick hookups when needed.

I have a couple 13-port USB hubs that will cover all the scanners. For the Unidens I have the ScannerMaster-modified USB-1 with a DB9 on it since the front port is pretty flimsy.

Below that will be a ventilated 7u blank panel to cover the open space.

The blank panel and IC746 rack are on order, and will be installed when I get them next week or so.

Above the Icoms are the scanners. They include a 536, 996P2, 996XT, 4 BCT15X's, 7 BCT15's and 4 PSR600's. A 3u blank is above the scanners.

Inside the cabinet are 2 muffin fans, one blowing in and the other out. I will set them up with remote switches so I can control the ventilation as needed.

The rack comes with a glass front door (see the first picture) and a ventilate rear door. The side doors are also openable/removable so I can easily access the interior for wiring and repairs.

The next step is wiring. I will use 2 8-port wide band Stridsberg multicouplers and an 800 MHz 4-port one for the scanners, the rest of the radios will have individual antennas. The R8500 has 2 (HF and V/U) but I might use a port off the Stridsberg for that. The 746 has 3 antenna ports, 2 HF and a V/U.

I have a few changes in mind pending purchase of a couple more pieces. I do not need the power supplies racked, they can go on the floor of the cabinet. I might replace the two rack panels they are in with 2-radio racks and put the CDM and TYT side by side and add a blank panel to mount the HomePatrol 1 and 2 on. I could end up however just putting them in front of the power supplied anyway.

I am also thinking of some of that ribbon multi-color LED lighting for the edges to add a bit of cool factor to this thing (wife's idea).

I put the leveling feet down and the cabinet seems nice and stable. They sell stabilizing kits but I think I am OK here.

We will have the office painted later this summer so it be easy to roll this away from the wall for the painters. This is why the Wife/CEO suggested it anyway and I think it will be pretty functional as well.

I will be in Chicago this weekend for a funeral so it might be a while before I get the wiring all done.

I will post back pictures when I start the wiring. I will also post completed pics when done.

Attachments

• 1NoDoor.jpg
    1NoDoor.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • 2Wdoor.jpg
    2Wdoor.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 3Upper.jpg
    3Upper.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • 4Lower.jpg
    4Lower.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,097

N9JIG

Sheriff
Very nice setup as always Rich! I just bought a Viotek GN34C 34" 100hz curved screen that I use for gaming and everyday browse the Internet. Also, The monitor works really with Dump1090, PlanePlotter, MilAirComms1090, Virtual Radar and Plane Finder airplane tracking software.

- Jamie

I looked at these and other similar ones and may end up doing something like that eventually. I do like those wide, curved monitors...

What I might do soon is get a 3-monitor arm-mount system and a VESA adapter for my iMac. That will let me raise them off the desk a little and slide the keyboard underneath when not needed. That will have to wait a bit though, the cabinet was expensive and the wife is limiting my spending a bit...

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I looked at these and other similar ones and may end up doing something like that eventually. I do like those wide, curved monitors...

What I might do soon is get a 3-monitor arm-mount system and a VESA adapter for my iMac. That will let me raise them off the desk a little and slide the keyboard underneath when not needed. That will have to wait a bit though, the cabinet was expensive and the wife is limiting my spending a bit...

Trust me...I had a LG 30" wide screen monitor and it did good for the few years I've owned that monitor but I wanted something lot better for gaming and everyday browsing the Internet and watching YouTube videos I found the Viotek GN34C on Amazon for what I paid for it after cost of the monitor and shipping to me I am very happy with it.

I may go with the Vesa mount some where down the road and get another monitor and use it as something when I am running dual monitors for gaming or streaming depends I guess.

The widescreen curve monitors are the best way to go if you want something that'll get the job down. I was looking in to the Acer Predator monitors for what I have now it'll do for now.

- Jamie

N9JIG

Sheriff
Since he works for Scannermaster, I'm sure that helps a little (not implying he got it free or anything, though; not what I'm saying...).

Most of the radios were bought (at a slight discount of course) by me or provided as reimbursement for writing or installation projects.. On one job I took a case of BCT15's and a 996XT in place of a check.

I do occasionally get a radio for evaluation or beta testing as well. Since I have been working directly for Scanner Master they make sure I have at least one of just about everything we sell so I can be familiar with it.

The racks and accessories come from my radio budget that is set by the wife depending on the needs of the household.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
The racks and accessories come from my radio budget that is set by the wife depending on the needs of the household.

I know Rexie; She's a wonderful woman, but rules the roost with an iron fist. When she says, "Jump," Rich responds, "How high?" ...on the way up!

Seriously, they make a great couple! I've known Rich for over 40 years, and Rexie not quite "that long," but he's a very lucky fellow!

Status
Not open for further replies.