My first homebrew antenna. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I think I'm going to throw one of these together this week... I'm really not pleased with the performance of my RS Discone which is currently up on the roof so why not give one of these a try! Can anyone recommend what size, make etc etc of brazing rods would be best to use? I'm not all that familiar with them.

AlmostHandy

I haven't used the brazing rods yet, as I am only looking at the surplus market (read: free section of craigslist).

My second version of this antenna (found here) used coat hangers, and is holding up really well outdoors. Check my tip for soldering them. Using the scrap of copper clad PCB and hammering the tips makes them solder like they were designed for it.

nd5y

Here are some other construction ideas.

Some connectors have plastic insulation that melts easy. Instead of trying to solder everything, I only solder the element to the center pin of the connector and attach the radials with screws, nuts and lock washers.

I ran out of copper wire so I got some cheap 14 ga. galvanized steel wire to make ground plane radials and yagi elements.

I use electrical split bolts and screw terminals with the tabs cut off to adjust the length of the vertical radiator or attach various additional elements, and stubs.

Last edited:

lmrtek

That is a very good design and should easily outperform a discone design on those three bands.

Start making them out of 3/16" stainless rod and you will me a millionaire in no time.

srt1026

would it be possible to 'mod' a RS 20-176 antenna with this theory for 800mhz ? and if so, how high up on the center-verticle element should the 3 1/2inch element be attached with a split bolt ?

W6KRU

would it be possible to 'mod' a RS 20-176 antenna with this theory for 800mhz ? and if so, how high up on the center-verticle element should the 3 1/2inch element be attached with a split bolt ?

That's a good idea. Give it a try and let us know. The new element should be at a 1/2 wave from the base. That could be 7" or 14". I'm not sure which would be better. Maybe someone with more antenna knowledge than me will chime in.

srt1026

the 7" up makes sense to me now. but it will be some time before i can get my 20-176 down to give it a try (damn snow). i would be intererested in hearing anyone else's results, it seems like an easy try-just bolt on the short element and give her a go. if it sucks, take it off.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
the 7" up makes sense to me now. but it will be some time before i can get my 20-176 down to give it a try (damn snow). i would be intererested in hearing anyone else's results, it seems like an easy try-just bolt on the short element and give her a go. if it sucks, take it off.

I just gave it a half a$$ed try and couldn't get the solder to take to the stainless whip.

jimc06226

cool my homemade antenna is 3 dipoles cofased together and stapled to the wall once the better half gets over the sight of it its all good looks great

majoco

Stirrer
Good job - now that you're 'enthused' it's on to bigger and better.....:)

Stainless steel can be soldered using "Duzall" (phosphoric acid) as a flux.

Last edited:

kf7hmy

Hi All

I just finished one of my own and really like it. I was hoping someone here could tell me what book this design came from?

Thanks KF7HMY

bravodenisu

Antenna

Good day my friend!
I wanted to ask you to tell me, explain, help me ... about an antenna. I want to make an antenna that could resonate for three frequencies. I'm struggling for several days and I do not know, I fail to find anything.
I want frequencies - (45MHz, 145MHz, 446MHz)
Do you have a good antenna?
SCANNER ANTENNA
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
or something like this?
http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...as/23054-multi-band-ground-plane-scanner.html
or even like this really do not know !!!
http://prntscr.com/4iy7ni
Please help me, my friend, to make one antenna with the three frequencies - the dimensions of the antenna material, etc. ...
Thank you so much want to help me around the antennas to make one myself good.
Greetings and sorry for the mistakes in the manuscript.
Denis
bravodenisu@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.