Is there anything worth listening to in San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

backingit

Premium Subscriber
I'll be in the river walk area for a few days. Is there anything interesting to listen to since the pro voice system is on lockdown? I have a 396. Any info would be great. Thanks.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I was there a few weeks ago. Because of the “lockdown”, I took my Pro-97 with Signal Stalker II and entertained myself with local business. I was near River Walk and heard the mall, hotels, taxis, hams, ambulance services, etc. Using service search, I heard some communications about the wildfires that were going on at the time. You will enjoy River Walk, and you might as well see the Alamo which is close by and free. And when you are there, be sure to ask them to show you the basement:)

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
There is a ton of federal traffic available in San Antonio:

DEA:
418.7500 CT 156.7
418.6750 CT 156.7

CBP:
163.7750 CT 151.4
165.2375 CT 100.0
169.4500 CT 100.0

TSA:
172.9000 NAC 001

FBI:
170.8250 CT 167.9

I like the Texas DPS as well:
159.0975 NAC 162
155.4600 NAC 114
155.4450 NAC 123

Try TABC (they might be in town if they aren't all in S. Padre):
156.0600 CT 136.5

Lastly, the 5 military bases nearby share a MOTO system that is off the hook with training missions (flight @ Randolph AFB, security forces @ Camp Bullis/Lackland AFB, recruit @ Lackland AFB) not too mention all the other crazy stuff they do.

davidbond21

There's actually a ton of analog stuff to listen to on the Gold Simulcast, it just happens most of it is not law enforcement or fire/ems related. There are a few good ones, especially the Bexar County Sheriff's Open talkgroups(1042, 1044, 1046). Also, occasionally ProVoice talkgroups will come across with analog traffic, though I wouldn't say it would be worth it to program in all these for your short visit.

You should also program in the Blue Simulcast, though this is reserved for SAPD, the Park Police also operate on this but in analog(they have 3 or 4 talkgroups). The Park Police are responsible for patrolling the river walk and some associated areas so if that's where you're going to be you may want to plug them in, though they're not always very busy.

With the 396 though you'll need the latest firmware update to be able to trunk track ESK EDACS systems. The scanner just ignores ProVoice; its the ESK that prevents most scanners from following. If you have any questions about listening to the simulcasts, I pretty much have them on everyday I'm here in SA and hear enough law enforcement activities and other interesting things to keep me from deleting them to clear up room on my scanner.

Also add in TABC Car-to-Car frequency 154.905 (forgot the CT). I hear them on their mobiles more often; greater range I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.