PRO-106/PRO-197 CPU 1.7 Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the links, they worked just great & my update went just fine like everyone elses. I find it kinda ironic that the Radio Shack link is still wrong. I sent them email about this weeks ago they responded to me with the correct link, or so they thought, but it didn't work either. I think this is another indicator of the rapid decline in quality at RS. RADIO SHACK IF YOU ARE READING THIS THREAD CAN YOU SAY "CIRCUIT CITY"?

Thanks again Sinister!!!!

let the dead horse die, stop beating it??

harbor1280

Feed Provider
Pro 106

Hi Folks...I'm trying to upgrade my Pro 106. Here's what it says

CPU: F1.4
DSP-APP: U1.4
DSP-Voc: F1.0

I have the 1.7 software but my problem is when I turn radio on while holding pgm nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?? Please email me at ddamos@newnorth.net if you have time to reply. Thanks so much and all the best scanning to everyone.

tladd08

Hi,

I'm trying to do the upgrade. I have the 20-047 prgramming cable and I know it works (my pro-97 & pro-96 interface with my computer without any issue). I have the scanner connected to the computer, I hold pgm and turn on the scanner. It enters the cpu update mode. I test the com port with the utility and keep getting the message "No data from scanner please try again from step 1." So, I download psredit 500 and use it to test the com ports. It finds 2, but it does not see a scanner connected to either. Can anyone help me with this? I've even reinstalled the drivers for my cable and that didn't work.

RayK

Check your device manger and see what comm port is used for the cable.When you click on the up-grade all it will ask it for the comm port and its that sipmle. Ive up graded both my 106 & 164. Ray

tladd08

Thanks, Ray. I should have mentioned I checked the com port already. Is the Pro-106 supposed to display a message when it is connected to the computer like a Pro-96 or Pro-97? Mine does not. It seems as though the computer knows the cable is there, but not the scanner. Has onyone else had this issue?

tladd08

The most useful bit of information was provided to me by Arc500. You need to remove the small extension cable on the 20-047. Apparently, it is a mono to stereo converter. That would be a very nice bit of info to be provided in the upgrade instructions. Problem solved.

jao9900

Sinister,
Just wanted to thank you for the link to upgrade my pro 197. Went in just fine. This is the first and only upgrade I've done. May I ask if there are others I should be aware of? I keep hoping for a resolve or improvement in some types of scanning. I've read many forums and heard several terms for it but to me it's like a hick-up. On a police or fire call it happens during the address. If it happens later in the transmission, there's a good chance it drops it all together. Also, I do some Conv. scanning. Aircraft. I find the pro 197 very poor there. The carrier come through but the audio is vary faint. My 20 year old bearcat out performs there. I ask about other updates as in the forums, people say mfgrs. are always trying to update to help with some of these problems. Some also mention, problems more common in cheaper radios----------- won't go there. Only hope you might have some help or suggestions. Thank You for your time,
jao9900

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
In regards to what the above post calls a "hickup", the problem MAY be if the toneout of a fire call starts out with a loud peak in tone or voice the scanner will "clip" the noise, i get that on some tone outs and RS scanners all have done this....There i guess is no fix....Especially when you use a PL, i have changed a few "loud" stations because of "clipping" to PL "search" and that helped....Just a thought on your problem.....

jao9900

Thanks for the response Ronin. I'm sure I understand the problem you described but I don't think that's my problem. First, it happens on most every call. Fire, Police, Emergency, ect. Maybe I didn't describe the problem very well. It picks up the signal fine, but fails early in the transmission. For instance,If the call is 23 proceed to 4444 Johnson St. I hear proceed to............son St. or even.........St. If it's a 15 or 20 second transmission it may happen again and then I can't tell if it drops it or if the transmission is over. The radio delays, as set, then moves on. I keep reading forums and wiki as RR suggests and two things keep showing up. One although not cheap to us, these are not the same quality radio the pro's use. I guess I can agree with that. They couldn't function the way I hear calls. The other thing is, people write mfgs. are aware of problems and are trying to correct them. This is why I'm looking for any updates I may have missed since Feb. Oh! Also I read responders should know about my gear. Pro 197 with 800MZ antenna RS suggested. RS cables, Win 500 and prem RR. Thanks again.
jao9900

Highpockets

Thanks for the response Ronin. I'm sure I understand the problem you described but I don't think that's my problem. First, it happens on most every call. Fire, Police, Emergency, ect. Maybe I didn't describe the problem very well. It picks up the signal fine, but fails early in the transmission. For instance,If the call is 23 proceed to 4444 Johnson St. I hear proceed to............son St. or even.........St. If it's a 15 or 20 second transmission it may happen again and then I can't tell if it drops it or if the transmission is over. The radio delays, as set, then moves on. I keep reading forums and wiki as RR suggests and two things keep showing up. One although not cheap to us, these are not the same quality radio the pro's use. I guess I can agree with that. They couldn't function the way I hear calls. The other thing is, people write mfgs. are aware of problems and are trying to correct them. This is why I'm looking for any updates I may have missed since Feb. Oh! Also I read responders should know about my gear. Pro 197 with 800MZ antenna RS suggested. RS cables, Win 500 and prem RR. Thanks again.
jao9900

Do you have weather priority or priority channels active?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
jao9900
In Win500, remove the default check as in this image.

Last edited:

jao9900

Don't think I have any priority channels set, but I will check. I DO have the weather channels active for the 5 county area. Think there might be a connection? I also use the default delay for all channels.
jao9900

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Open Win500
In general settings tab uncheck the box (default has it checked). If checked a talkgroup com could be interrupted by conventional priority check.

You can also uncheck the option using PGM F3 GLOB then down to Expert Settings group TGRP Pri Int: >OFF.

georgew0819

P25 Transmission drops (clipping)

Jao9900 is the problem your describing only occuring on the 800mhz system. If so try this has it recitfied a simliar problem I was having when listen to the 800mhz P25 system n my area.

1) push manual and use the select button until the display show one of the Talkgroups on the system. The display should now show TSYS above the F2 button.

2) push the F2 button and the display will change to show the system name and Analyz will appear above the F3 button.

3) push F3 and the system frequency list wll appear in the display. Use the select button (up and down) to scroll thru the list until you come to the Control Channel. The bottom line of the display will flash back and forth between system info and the site id. You'll see a number displaying a % sign after it. Move your antenna around until the number is above 90% (the higher the better). Watch the display for a moment or two to make sure the % doesn't drop below 90%. (On the system here anything below that comes in clipped).

4) when satisfied with the setting push scan to return to normal operation.

Hope this is of help.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Jao9900 is the problem your describing only occuring on the 800mhz system. If so try this has it recitfied a simliar problem I was having when listen to the 800mhz P25 system n my area.

1) push manual and use the select button until the display show one of the Talkgroups on the system. The display should now show TSYS above the F2 button.

2) push the F2 button and the display will change to show the system name and Analyz will appear above the F3 button.

3) push F3 and the system frequency list wll appear in the display. Use the select button (up and down) to scroll thru the list until you come to the Control Channel. The bottom line of the display will flash back and forth between system info and the site id. You'll see a number displaying a % sign after it. Move your antenna around until the number is above 90% (the higher the better). Watch the display for a moment or two to make sure the % doesn't drop below 90%. (On the system here anything below that comes in clipped).

4) when satisfied with the setting push scan to return to normal operation.

Hope this is of help.

On a serious note what will this do for reception? I ask due to having issues hearing the NJSP 800mhz system.

jao9900

Clipping on Pro 197

Georgew0819,
Yes that's where the problem was. I went through and tested as you suggested. By the way, your instructions were perfect I had no problem following them. I fact, I went ahead and tested several and found most to be 99 with nothing below 96%. Your suggestion was all new to me but sounds like something that may come in handy later so I'm gonna copy and save it. Thanks. I think my resolve came in one or both of the threads posted earlier by highpockets and fmon. I did both. That is, blow off or deactivate anything about weather and priority. What a world of difference. I can accually understand the transmission now. Not totally gone. Some channels clip a little about mid-point or towards the end of transmission but nothing like it was. Are you a firefighter at the airport? If so, may I ask another question? First, I scan for hobby not for biz. and would also like to monitor conv. aircraft freqs. RS preloaded me with everything in this county. From sheriff to baby monitors. Also included 1 scan list for MAC which is a tsys here. I then went to RR and then manually added the local aircraft freqs. they had, and added them to the same scan list. My first attempt to add anything to scanner. I seems everything entered ok, I got them in the right scanlist ect. Just doesn't work right. Not knowing the correct terms, but thinking back to the old CB days, I would describe the the problem as getting a pretty strong carrier, a hissing sound but the transmission is way in the back ground. Is there a problem running a tsys and a conv. on the same scan list? Any suggestions there would be welcome. Thank You. Oh! I know I'm well in range of most a/c transmissions. I also run a bearcat bc-100 that handles a/c well. In fact that's about all it's good for now
jao9900

georgew0819

Re: 800Mhz clipping

On a serious note what will this do for reception? I ask due to having issues hearing the NJSP 800mhz system.

On an EDACS System, a Motorola 3600 baud and a P25 9600 baud system the number followed by a % mark in the above steps is the "decoding quality of the control channel". The better the percentage, the better the quality of the decoded transmision.

It is also helps to have the "Priority Modes" off for the Weather/SAME as well as for conv/tgps in the gobal settings as pointed out by others in this thread..

georgew0819

Last off topic answer

Georgew0819,
"like to monitor conv. aircraft freqs", " I also run a bearcat bc-100 that handles a/c well".
jao9900

Because your using the 800mhz radio shack antenna your going to lose some quality on the conventional frequencies. That may be why your BC100 is out performing the 197. As far has having trunked and conventional frequencies in the same list on the 197, I have both in my Favorites Folder/List without any problem. Remembr the 197 is object oriented and does not use banks like other scanners do.

In order to get this thread back on track regarding updating the 197, I would suggest any further questions be started un the appropriate forum (ie: avaition, radio shack, ect..) where myself and other members can answer them there. (thread highjacking which is what we have just done by going off topic is a no no!)

Status
Not open for further replies.