PRO-2055 Display Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or maybe I didn't cut enough off the ribbon cable? I cut it down about 1/16th of an inch, but I didn't want to cut it down so far to get into the white plasticy part cuz I thought that would be too far.

Septa3371CSX1

My display suddenly went out on me tonight on my 2055. The date code is 05A07 (May 2007) and I got this one on clearance this past October to compliment my Pro 97. This 2055 was working great until the display went out. When this happened, I immediatly searched this forum for answers and noticed I wasn't alone (as I can tell by this long thread). I don't have a warranty on this unit so I'm trying to avoid sending it to the shack for repairs. Anyways, I looked at the self fix tips, took the thing apart, but had no luck (probably didn't do everything properly since I'm so nervous about damaging the unit). Anyone have any photos to guide me or would be willing to look at the unit themselves (my location is to the above right)?

mancow

Database Admin
Watch out for static electricity (try to ground yourself before touching anything) and just be gentile with the ribbon cable. Other than that there's nothing much to worry about.

If I remember correctly the ribbon cable in one of mine had what appeared to be a thin layer of clear plastic on the contact fingers. It looked as if it was some coating that they forgot to remove during the cable manufacturing process. I scraped it away and it was as good as new. It might be worth taking a second look at the contacts on the ribbon to make sure they are all nice and clean and unobstructed.

Septa3371CSX1

Fixed the display by chipping off some of the plastic with a screw driver. I now have another problem though as while I was doing that, the wires to the contacts on the speaker came off. I'll have to solder them back on somehow. The display fix does work though.

miserytom

the Radio Shack Pro-2055 Has A Well-documented Problem With The Lcd Display Going Out. Radio Shack Has Refused To Publicly Acknowledge This Problem, Instead Opting To Force Users To Pay A Repair Bill Which Usually Ranges From $75-$100 And Often Takes In Excess Of 3 Weeks.
When Sent For Service, Radio Shack Replaces The Lcd And The Units Works Again. However, It Appears The Problem Does Not Lie In The Lcd Itself, But In The Ribbon Cable/connector Going To The Lcd.
Here Is An Fairly Easy Fix That Has Worked For Me Every Time:
1. Gain Access To Front Pcb By Removing Both Covers And Front Face Of Radio.
2. Locate The Ribbon Cable The Goes To The Lcd Display.
3. Remove The Ribbon Cable From The Connector By Gently Pulling Up On The Connector And Sliding The Ribbon Out.
4. Using A Sharp Pair Of Scissors, Cut Off Approximately 1-2mm Of The Leading Edge That Will Go Back In To Connector. Be Sure To Make A Straight Clean Cut.
5. Reinsert Ribbon Cable In Connector, Clamp Connector Shut. (it Appears Some Pro-2055's Do Not Have A Clamp-style Connector. If This Is The Case Simply Reinsert The Cable Into The Connector As Far As Possible.)
6. Reassemble Radio And Test Display.
I Have Tested This Theory On Five (5) Separate Units (two Of My Own, Five Belonging To Friends Or Repair Customers) And Have Had The Same Result Each Time. The Display Works Again.
Before Shipping Your Pro-2055 To The Radio Shack Repair Center For A Costly Out-of-warranty Repair, It Won't Hurt To Try This Fix. It Has Worked For Me Every Time.
===========================================
Now Stop Sending In For Warranty Work And Paying Rs

You Are A God!!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjcsx

Display problem with PRO-2055 is common and easy to deal with!!!

The display problem that people have with the PRO-2055 (myself included) is indeed very common. Mine has the same issue. I never took it back to get it repaired, but the problem is easy to fix yourself. You don't even have to take it apart!!!!! The catch: it's only a temporary fix; you will have to repeat the process every time it acts up. The upside: it's a ONE-STEP process! All you hace to do is tap semi-lightly on the display with a HARD object. Again, it HAS TO BE A HARD OBJECT!!! Your fingers generally will not work! Keys usually work great, but you have to tap a little harder. Hope this helps someone who, like me, waited to long to take it back! Happy scanning!
-PSPS ID309

RolnCode3

I find it almost humorous that this thread is still alive. But not in a ha-ha way.

I have one 2055 (09A05) that runs 24-7, because if I turn it off, I have to fight to get it back working. The screen fix has already been done - and it still took a LOT of effort to get it to work.

I have another 2055 (01A06) that I JUST opened the box on today. Yes, it's been sitting in my apartment for 2 years, unopened, in its box - figured what was the worst that could happen? You guessed it. Don't work.

POS's. These two scanners are among the worst electronics purchases I've ever made - certainly the worst scanner purchases I've made.

kevin390

I must be one lucky SOB. I have three pro-2055's and I had never had a problem with any of them. I bought two new and traded for the third. Now I hope I didn't jinx myself. ............Ray

John47

Failure 2055 LCD

Back in April 08, I got a 2055 at full price, within 3 wks, the LCD had gone out date code was 09A07

I returned it to RS and told them in very CLEAR terms, to take this POS and send it back, and give me MY MONEY BACK!. I spoke with the MGR he convinced me to try another, and he gave me the extended warranty to make up the difference (The scanner went on sale just a week after I got it, If had just waited a wk.)

As of this posting it still works, and the date code is 09A07. If you Google you will find other problems listed as well. RS does have there prior reviews listed, just have to google it.

John47

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I have an 06 date code and no display problems, however it is deaf compared to my 197.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I just fixed a display on another of my 2055's. One of mine I repaired two times, and today is the first time for this one. I had to take off the LCD display and re-solder the joints on the connector behind it on the front board. Now it works like a charm! So far I am 3 for 3 on PRO 2055's!
:)

RolnCode3

I just ran the soldering iron over all of the ribbon connections to make sure they were solid. One looked promising, but didn't pan out (desoldered and resoldered). I just checked all of the connections with a voltmeter, and none of them showed more than .2 ohms from board to board (including soldered connection, ribbon, and clamshell connector). They're all solid. And it still doesn't work.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Alright, last update (hopefully ever!).

I fixed the broken one that I just opened. There is a second ribbon cable that connects the PCB to the display. The cable is only about 1" long, and you have to remove the screen PCB from the front housing. You'll see the cable as it runs into the top of the display. It has a small stiffening board attached to the cable. Be careful of the grounding straps (at least that's what I figure they are). The big one is easy to keep track of, but the smaller single wire one could be broken easily if you're not careful.

Took me two tries to reassemble the whole thing and keep it working, but works like a champ now.

Just to reiterate - this is NOT the cable that is the common remedy for this. It is a much smaller, more recessed cable to plugs directly into the display. I would have taken a picture, but my camera battery is dead and I wanted to get it reassembled.

Thanks to KC2GVX. While his solution wasn't mine, it did inspire me to rip this thing apart a little further, until I got to the right place.

nanZor

Thanks to everyone in this thread, I helped a friend revive a brand-new (old stock) 2055 that died overnight.

The culprit was the small ribbon behind the face panel that took about 6 q-tips worth of cleaning to get some black gunk off it - even though it looked clean after pulling it out initially - must be some sort of coating or adhesive that was turning black when the contact cleaner wiped it off.

Based on physical examination, I never would have suspected this without the help from everyone at RadioReference.

many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hfxChris

Database Admin
Might as well tell my story too. I picked up a Pro-2055 second hand off ebay, one of the ones advertised as having a broken LCD.
So I took it apart, and first tried playing with the larger ribbon cable, the one that connects the front plate of the scanner to the mainboard. No effect. So then I started disassembling the front panel itself, until I got to the tiny little, very fragile ribbon cable connecting the actual LCD panel itself to the front of the scanner... reseated it, and bingo.
Mind you, every few weeks it starts to get faint, but if I give the scanner a good whack with a blunt object, it comes back. One day I may take it apart again, but it was a bit of a pain in the arse...
Thank you to everyone who has replied in this thread, it's truly an invaluable resource for fixing such a common problem.

KF2I

Feed Provider
This just happened to me for the first time today... my date code was 08A07 if I recall correctly. I pulled the thing apart, cut then reseated the small, green in my case, connector (the tiny one) for the LCD screen. Works fine now. I guess I got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.