Onondaga County's New Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Does anyone want to submit the information so that we can get it up on the site as soon as possible?

Mike

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I have resurrected the old OCICS page here on this Web site. Please feel free to make any additional site and frequency changes as needed.

73s

Ron

D

DaveNF2G

No reports to NF2G.com yet, either. Most of what I've heard from sources in that area starts with, "I don't have a digital scanner yet..."

nyjason13

Premium Subscriber
Looks like my decision to return the iScan back in December and wait to save up for a digital scanner paid off :)

Hopefully the price of digital scanners will drop sometime this year. They're just way too expensive for my limited college student income right now :(

*patiently awaits for the ignorant complaints from the local community in CNY about how it's a waste of money or the system won't work or how the old system worked just fine...* :roll:

sav1350

Premium Subscriber
I have heard Syracuse PD on the new system this morning. Had about 30 minutes to listen before work. Sound like 911 had everyone testing their 50 buttons. I think I still have some issues with my programming as I don't think I was getting the full conversation. So far I have detected the following TGIDs: 32, 33, 34, 35, 37

I can't listen to it at work but I can see the logs from my scanner and it looks like 37 is the busiest so far. I can still see some voice traffic on their analog freqs but again, I can hear them from work, all I see is them showing up in my logs. Not sure if they are cross patched or what. Hopefully I will have some more info once I get home tonight.

nyjason13

Premium Subscriber
I have heard Syracuse PD on the new system this morning. Had about 30 minutes to listen before work. Sound like 911 had everyone testing their 50 buttons. I think I still have some issues with my programming as I don't think I was getting the full conversation. So far I have detected the following TGIDs: 32, 33, 34, 35, 37

I can't listen to it at work but I can see the logs from my scanner and it looks like 37 is the busiest so far. I can still see some voice traffic on their analog freqs but again, I can hear them from work, all I see is them showing up in my logs. Not sure if they are cross patched or what. Hopefully I will have some more info once I get home tonight.

Will the digital system be simulcast on analog until the transition is complete?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I drove through last night and didnt get the control channel till nearly Exit 36 Eastbound. This means only the Syracuse Cell is on. They have not switched on the rest of the County yet. My P96 is having a very hard time getting anything in Rome, some of my radios are doing better. If the high sites were on I wouldn't have an issue. Just ordered a 10dBd Yagi......

What this and the license information tells me, is Onondaga County is using a combination of simulcast cells and single towers for the system. This will make for some interesting challanges to monitor.

D

DaveNF2G

I would be interested in knowing on which frequencies the Syracuse site is actually transmitting. They might not use every licensed channel at every site, and as noted on my website, not all of the licensed channels will be trunked.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
What this and the license information tells me, is Onondaga County is using a combination of simulcast cells and single towers for the system. This will make for some interesting challanges to monitor.

I seem to recall this was the original plan when the OSICS was first drawn-up a few years ago. This was in the RFP or a white paper on the proposed development of the system, which mentioned more than one simulcast cell and stand-alone sites. With that being said, this will make monitoring this TRS a real PITA to scan at times in certain locations.

73s

Ron

sav1350

Premium Subscriber
Dave & Thunderbolt,

They are indeed not using all channel right now. From what I have been able to hear, they are only using the following: 453.2625, 453.2875, 460.2125, 460.2375, 460.2625, and 460.5000 is the control.

I'm in Northern Onondaga County and I am not getting a very strong control channel at this point. So, the I would also concur with the statements that not all the sites are on at the moment. I'm also not hearing a lot of traffic at the moment on Syracuse PD TGs so my guess is i can receive the system very well up here yet or I have something programmed wrong. Either of which could be the case. Hopefully, in a month when OCSO and the T/V come online, this will get a bit easier.

As far at SPD TGs, from what I have heard and seen other post elsewhere, I would tend to believe that 33 and 34 are dispatch channels. My guess is that 33 is N/E zone and 34 is S/W zone. Outside of that, I don't really have enough info yet to determine the true use of the other TGs are.

jrdolliver

programming this system into 996T

I have never programmed a moto system into my 996T. EDACS was fairly simple since all I had to do was make sure I programmed the individual frequencies in the right order. There are too many options under moto UHF. Any assistance would be appreciated.

D

DaveNF2G

Just to clarify - the Onondaga County system is not "Motorola." It is P25 Exclusive Simulcast. Unfortunately, the earlier digital trunktracking scanners treat everything that is not EDACS or LTR as Motorola.

jsikora

I know this is a bit off-topic, so my apologies to the posters here and the Mods. I wanted to ask if there are any live police & fire feeds for Oswego? I'm originally from Syracuse and my nephew is on the force there. If any of the guys here could let me know, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have tried to do this a few times with Oswwego. I have a radio setup as RX only at home specifically for a live feed. If anyone has the know how, or can point me to a really easy way to do it I'll stream it. I have a RR connection and already have a PC with my mailserver running in my office. The radio is actually in the PC for this, just was never able to do it.

D

DaveNF2G

Just to clarify - the Onondaga County system is not "Motorola." It is P25 Exclusive Simulcast. Unfortunately, the earlier digital trunktracking scanners treat everything that is not EDACS or LTR as Motorola.

OK, I stand anonymously corrected. The Onondaga County P25-compliant system is in fact built with Motorola stuff. It is a simulcast Astro system.

jrdolliver

How do I program my BC996T for this system?

If someone has successfully programmed their BC996T to track this system, could you please share how you did this. I don't know whether this is a trunking system or what not and I have never programmed anything beyond EDACS and Conventional frequencies. I don't want to have to get an Engineering Degree to use this radio. I simply want to program it. I don't live in front of the radio. I just want to listen to it occassionally. Simple answers are all that is neccessary sometimes.

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
If someone has successfully programmed their BC996T to track this system, could you please share how you did this. I don't know whether this is a trunking system or what not and I have never programmed anything beyond EDACS and Conventional frequencies. I don't want to have to get an Engineering Degree to use this radio. I simply want to program it. I don't live in front of the radio. I just want to listen to it occassionally. Simple answers are all that is neccessary sometimes.

Unfortunately today's scanners require some degree of technical prowess when programming them to track current trunking technologies. The days of simply pushing 4-6-0-.-5-0-0 <enter> are on the fast track to becoming a memory in CNY and there may not be "simple answers" depending on your degree of understanding today's scanners. If you want to fast track getting your scanner programmed just so you can do your occasional monitoring, I would recommend you take it to the area's local Uniden/Bearcat dealer on James Street who will have people with the commitment to understand your radio's programming and let them set it up for you once the system information is determined (frequencies, talk groups).

D

DaveNF2G

If I still had my 996T I would look at the manual and try to summarize what you need to do.

All you should need to program is the control channel mentioned above. The bank and channel have to be in MO trunking mode, and you should then use the Control Channel Only tracking option. Put the scanner in ID Search mode because you don't have any known talkgroups to program yet.

That should do it.

loring1970

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see it posted here yet but the 'cutover' to the new system for county police agencies (T/V, NYSP, OCSO) is March 2nd, 2010 at 0500hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.