• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB transmissions, how far can i hear them with a scanner and stock duck antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANZTV

CBas****es (yes, that's an actual forum/group name). Yep, I even know some of them. I would guess most of them are running well over 1k watts, with some running close to 5k watts. Not sure how much "trouble" they are anymore, definitely not out there like they were in the past. I haven't heard anyone proclaim they were CBA in over a year now...the CBA site is fairly dead now, and only a handful of people even frequent it.

There were a bunch of spin-off sites from the original CBA, and then there is always the "Coolbreeze Network" around Baltimore and DC.

Although I'm sure it was tiring after a while, some of the antics were actually very funny...like a stand up comedian. Although, I definitely don't hear as much of that as I once did.

O there still out there although they really don't advertise as much. Every morning I have the radio on CB19 (27.185). I usually try to call a trucker going into the Holland Hook Pier to see if the gate is back up or not. Some mornings it is so bad that I just don't say anything at all because I just won't get through. All you hear are Space Invader sounds. LOL

One time I was in my Machine we call an Empty Handler. My Radio in the machine was broken (that is the radio that plays music). There was a trucker next to me that was talking on his CB and coming through my broken radio. DID YOU EVER? My radio was broken. It was funny because every time he would key up, I would beep my horn, until I called him on the machine. He look nervous. But I was cool. I forgot what he had in there because it was a few years ago. But he had to have POWER boy. With that kind of power, I would need to jump start my car every morning. But, what are you gunna do. You see, when I ride out west I don't hear things like that. I hear CBer's helping each other out. But anyway......

Pat
73s

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Times sure have changed, my days in Reading and CB in general go back before the madness, that's when Dorian S. AKA *****cat was young and oh so luscious in a white pleat skirt and pink mohair sweater but I digress. <sigh> Maybe I shouldn't have asked, I got the answer I should have expected. Speaking of expected, about 10 years ago I returned to my old stomping grounds in the VXAmobile and found my 2M rig useless. A short ride along the ridge told the story, Mount Penn turned into one gigantic antenna farm! The WRAN FM tower across the valley on the Navasink tempted me but nah, six of one and a half dozen of the other.

I'm not really that close to NYC and haven't had a real CB antenna in decades but from what I can hear it's dead as the proverbial door nail for the most part. There are but two CB antennas left in this town, one Big Stick that is probably disconnected and never removed, the other is on the mirror of an old dump truck (How appropriate is that?) with no coax. All I ever heard were a few weak ones in the Newark NJ area, the same "band masters" I knew when I lived there. Funny thing how they devastate the band with the near field but the far field is conspicuously absent, they barely get out of their own back yard with all that power... HA HA!

Consider the proof you power mad yokels golden screwdriver in hand, concentrating 5W on one channel will get you farther than splattering 500W across the band and beyond.

"I still enjoy partaking from time to time---don't tell my ham friends tho!!!"
To do so would only be redundant. (;->)

"I usually try to call a trucker going into the Holland Hook Pier to see if the gate is back up or not."
How do you manage that? I may be from Jersey but at least I know the difference between the Holland Tunnel and the Howland Hook Marine Terminal... you guys crack me up. (;->)

One last thing, will the administrators please fix that overzealous word filter? Here, censor this. (;->)

Last edited:

ANZTV

Ok I just got that. I meant Howland Hook. Give me a break I had just got up from a 5 hour nap when I wrote that. :) It now called NYCT as in New York Container Terminal. Thanks for the correction tho. CB still sounds alive up here, well at least channel 19. I really don't hear anybody on any other channel except for channel 30, that would be the Spanish version of channel 19. I hear it everyday. I work at the terminal and talk with the truckers everyday. But I'm happy just with my 8900R in my van and my little vx3 HT.

Pat
73s

TheJerk

One time I was in my Machine we call an Empty Handler. My Radio in the machine was broken (that is the radio that plays music). There was a trucker next to me that was talking on his CB and coming through my broken radio. DID YOU EVER? My radio was broken. It was funny because every time he would key up, I would beep my horn, until I called him on the machine. He look nervous. But I was cool. I forgot what he had in there because it was a few years ago. But he had to have POWER boy. With that kind of power, I would need to jump start my car every morning. But, what are you gunna do. You see, when I ride out west I don't hear things like that. I hear CBer's helping each other out. But anyway......

Pat
73s

Most of them are running dirty power, splattering over every frequency known. They know not of their ways...they only know the meter shows XXX watts, not that only a quarter of that is on the frequency they are talking on.

mrweather

I don't think the 396T can receive SSB transmissions so no, you won't be able to listen to SSB CB transmissions.

cpsTN

Yes. Yesterday was cloudy and cold and I heard a driver talking all the way up near Herman,Nebraska. Damn near 7 miles away from my location here in Blair. I heard him clearly. If you have a very good "Tuned" Antenna tuned to your Radio. You could talk for a hell of a lot of miles. Even on a crappy 4 watt Radio. CB Radios are under powered/watted. If I went to the top of the hills here in town. On good days. I could talk to drivers for well over 50 miles.

Are you saying CBs are under-powerer radios simply because of the 4-watt limit or becuase they could be used (and have been and are) with a lot more power? BTW, it's hard to read your posts with so many "periods" in them.

wb9cow

Feed Provider
Very interesting?? WTF???? I Never Posted that!!!!!!

Hey there. I have the CB channels programmed into my scanner, as i still like to listen to them once in a while. What i`m kinda curious to know is, just how far will i be able to recieve other CB users with just the stock antenna on a BCD396T scanner? Also, is CB really used that much anymore or have they gone to things like NEXTEL and/or MURS/FRS? Thanx for any answers, it is really appreicated! 73. N9NRA

I would really like to know where this post came from. I never have posted anything in the forums on this site. Nor would I ask this question????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? WTF??????

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I would really like to know where this post came from. I never have posted anything in the forums on this site. Nor would I ask this question????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? WTF??????

He is N9NRA, and you are N9RNA :cool:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Several years ago, my father and I were testing the range of two K40 equipped CB's in the Houston metroplex. I was sitting at the intersection of FM 762 and Highway 59. My father was positioned at Bisonnet and Highway 59. We heard one another. Yes, it was a bit faint, but we still communicated. That is the longest transmission I've experienced in my life with the exception of running skip. The estimated distance was around 16 miles. But, that is rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.