Is Safari really that popular these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaninnyc

I had no idea...

# User Agent
11 Safari
3 Internet Explorer
2 PVPLAYER 04.07.00.01
1 iTunes
1 Firefox
1 PVPLAYER 04.07.00.01
1 CORE/6.506.4.1 OpenCORE/2.02 (Linux;Android 2.1-update1)

Astrak

I had no idea...

# User Agent
11 Safari
3 Internet Explorer
2 PVPLAYER 04.07.00.01
1 iTunes
1 Firefox
1 PVPLAYER 04.07.00.01
1 CORE/6.506.4.1 OpenCORE/2.02 (Linux;Android 2.1-update1)

Yeah, I usually have Safari as the top browser using my feeds also. Which doesn't seem right, since it is the most unpopular browser out there.

sideshowbob

not sure about iPhones, but I know iPods do not show up as Safari. I have found however that Chrome registers as Safari under the listeners statistics.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Sorry for the old thread bump, but I noticed this yesterday when discussing my feed with a colleague. Both my BlackBerry running BBScanner, and his PC running Google Chrome, showed up as Safari. His iPhone 4 showed up as "iPhone (Native)". I got the weird one SherwoodPolice reported in another even older post, with a malformed ID with %20 symbols throughout.

My question is: WHY do these various applications which are not Safari browsers show up as the Safari browser? I would have thought - especially with the "Police%20Scanner" one, that each application would report its own name as its user agent.

PeterGV

K1PGV
My question is: WHY do these various applications which are not Safari browsers show up as the Safari browser?

Because, as somebody already mentioned, they all use the same engine -- called "webKit."

I wouldn't be surprised if folks using iPads are showing up as Safari as well.

IIRC, even with the webKit based browsers, there IS a way to distinguish among the specific browser application. Many online statistics just aren't clever enough to do this.

Peter
K1PGV

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Because, as somebody already mentioned, they all use the same engine -- called "webKit."

See, this is not as intuitively obvious as you (and others) might think. If all of them are using "webKit", that is most decidedly not a logical reason why "Safari" should show up on the website. If anything, I would expect "webKit" instead. In addition, considering that web browsers will report their own name all the way down to different build variants inside a minor version number, I would have expected that streaming audio clients would report their own program names and not the name of the engine they are using or something else (like a completely different client's name).

Status
Not open for further replies.