FYI Butler County 800 MHz radio implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Agencies are going to do what agencies want to do. What's the point of arguing about it?

SCPD

QRT
It was rather refreshing to read your replies, DGRUVER and KAA951. I really expected to pull this up and be bombarded with attacks towards my post - thanks for explaining your side rather than going off the deep end...

With that said, I now understand what you were saying DGRUVER. However, in our system, we were extremely lucky to have outstanding train-the-trainer training on the system and outstanding subscriber/user training. All of our users are well aware of how to turn the encryption on and off - as well as how to operate other features of the radios. We do have some "slaved encryption" channels that are encrypted all the time, but the officers also have the ability to do it at the subscriber level and I assure you that everyone on the Butler County system knows how to use it, what the limitations are, etc. Again, we are lucky in that aspect and that the radios were not just thrown out and everyone had to play with them to figure them out.

KAA951 - with regard to interoperability - on a local incident we have it covered with a common encryption key. On a larger scale incident, I agree with you... We need the ability to encrypt on the mutual aid channels, but unfortunately we don't control those as we do the Butler County System. We do have a cache of extra radios that we could hand out if needed in such incident, but I too think that KDOT needs to address that. However, most of the interoperability stuff around here will deal more with natural disasters (weather specifically) which there will be little need for encryption. You can have it both ways....but KDOT and other agencies have to be on board with it. I also understand your argument of someone accidentally turning off the encryption and can see validity in that theory. Could happen...hopefully it doesn't, but it could...

As far as the officers killed for the year so far, go to The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc. (ODMP). They update the site regularly and you can even sign up for immediate emails when an officer is killed. The number of officers killed this year is on track to break records - which is very unfortunate and bothersome for those of us on the streets.

Again - thanks for the adult/professional discussion on the issue....very nice to see that on a forum!

n0lqt

WHOA FOLKS! It was a poke! Augusta 140 has been on this website in the past and I am positive can work the radio. I was just poking a little fun to try to get a response (which I did, privately) and I have no problem with encryption. I was a cop long enough ago to remember that we had to go to a pay phone (remember those things, they even used to have boxes around some of them where you could get out of the rain inside them and some of them even had ringers so dispatch could call you if you gave them the code number for that location) to exchange private info from dispatch (911 was a thing only the big cities like Chicago and New York had).

As has been said 'Agencies are going to do what they want to do.' If the admin has a problem with it, they will let their displeasure be known. As the saying goes "$&it rolls down hill!" We can argue and even protest, but if they (the administrators) have a justification that the elected officials can agree with, then that's the way it will be....

mitchkrat

Feed Provider
Had some interoperability experience this week

I'm currious if they are going to leave up any of the current UHF repeaters for interoperability? This week we had several units from Cowley County on large grass fires in Butler County. Their dispatch pacthed OPS 2 to event 1 and OPS to event 2. It worked but from the UHF side some of the 800 traffic was hard to understand (undermodulated, lots of bass).

I don't see Cowley County going to a 800 mhz digital system - right now the federal mandate is only to go to narrow band and I don't see us ever coming up with the $$ that Butler copunty did to build out a new system. We only have a few repeaters on the UHF side that need to be updated to narrow band.

Our department has to replace one or two portables a year due to damage - rather pay the $600 for a new UHF radio vs the $3,000 for a 800 mhz radio.

SCPD

QRT
The UHF towers will only be up for temporarily - at least that is what they are telling us... When they reband your radios down there, they need to add UCall and UTac interoperable channels in your radios. We will maintain a UHF system with those channels and they can be patched to the 800 system. I am with you on this, I do a lot of work in Cowley and will have to maintain a UHF radio for that purpose too.

The patch is not the best, there is about a 1 or 2 second delay and they are noisy, but that it what will be used in the future.

shocker81

New talkgroup on Sunday. I heard what I think is Andover P.D. on TG 2317. They were on all day Sunday. They had an alarm call early Sunday morning on Andover Road, and they ask for the Butler County S/O for assistance. It could have been Rosehill P.D., but I think it was Andover.

n0lqt

New talkgroup on Sunday. I heard what I think is Andover P.D. on TG 2317. They were on all day Sunday. They had an alarm call early Sunday morning on Andover Road, and they ask for the Butler County S/O for assistance. It could have been Rosehill P.D., but I think it was Andover.

Hmmm. TG 2317 was one of the new ones submitted last week, but it hasn't made it on to the database yet. I guess there were just too many to do all at once or something. Here are the names I have loaded in to my Pro-106 at this point. There are a couple that are active but still missing labels, (2286 and 2326). If you just can't wait and want to type them into a scanner yourself, Enjoy!

Talk Group TG #
====================
BU Co EM Train 1 2266
BU Co EM Train 2 2267
BU LAW All-Call 2268
BU CO Fire Disp 2269
BU Fire Event 1 2270
BU Fire Event 2 2271
BU Fire Event 3 2272
BU Fire Event 4 2273
BU Fire Event 5 2274
BU Fire Event 6 2275
BU Fire Event 7 2276
BU Fire Event 8 2277
BU Cnty EM Ops 1 2278
BU Cnty PSAP 2280
BU Co Sheriff F1 2281
BU Co Sheriff F2 2282
BU Cnty Jail 2285
BU LAW Small-PD 2288
BU-LAW Admin 2290
BU-LAW Detective 2291
BUSO Car2Car 2292
BU Co EMS Main 2293
BU EMS Div 1 2294
BU EMS Div 2 2295
BU EMS Car2Car 2297
BU Cty EMS Metro 2298
BU Cnty EMS-SBA 2299
BU Cnty EMS-KsMC 2300
BU Co EM Ops 1 2301
BU Disaster F1 2302
BU Disaster F2 2303
BU Cnty R&B Dept 2305
Andover PD F1 2317
Andover PD F2 2318
Andover Fire 2320
Atlanta Fire 2323
Augusta PD F1 2324
Augusta PD F2 2325
Benton Fire 2332
Burns Fire 2334
Cassoday Fire 2335
Douglass Fire 2337
El Dorado PD F1 2340
El Dorado PD F2 2341
El Dorado Fire 2344
El Dorado SRO 2346
Latham Fire 2347
Leon Police 2348
Leon Fire 2350
Potwin Fire 2352
Rosalia Fire 2354
Rose Hill PD 2355
Rose Hill Fire 2357
Rose Hill SRO 2359
Towanda Fire 2360
Whitewater Fire 2363
Refinery Fire 2364
BCCC Security 2365

These are not necessarily the "official" names of each talkgroup, but in some cases will make more sense to the average person than the "official" name and actually fit in my scanner display. As an example, 2268 = "BU LAW All-Call" officially is, "BU APB" or Butler County Law Enforcement All Points Bulletins and Announcements. I though "BU LAW All-Call" would be easier to understand for anyone new to scanning or not familar with public safety's over use of acronyms..... How the database admins actually format them is going to be different due to "style" mandates on RR. Also, I'm still awaiting a response from KDOT on my FOI request for all of the KSICS talk groups either issued by or coordinated thru KDOT.

BTW, some of the abreviations left in are: SRO = School Resource Officers, EM = Emergency Management, SBA = Susan B Allen Hospital, KsMC = Kansas Medical Center, R&B Dept = Public Works/Road and Bridge, PSAP = Public Safety Answering Point, BCCC = Butler County Community College. You are of course welcome to modify them in any way you see fit and that will fit your display.....

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
On the UHF system they had a Sheriff channel and a County PD's channel...2288 must be the County PD's TG as I hear a wide variety of radio numbers on it, and a more narrow range on 2281 Sheriff Dispatch. I have not heard any KHP units on the Butler TG range.
So i was right about 2281 being the SO dispatch. i posted about that last summer on the KSICS thread.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
does someone have the file for butler county for the Win500 they could share with me to speed up the programming?? thanks

n0lqt

RE: Encryption and its place

Interesting development.....

Burns Fire and Leon Fire have both decided that they need to be encrypted. Wonder what has percipitated this? And, - not that I'm paranoid, I KNOW people are after me.... ;) - but what are they thinking they need to hide?

WQOC472

Cowley County FIRE Mutual Aid

Just FYI (if your not already aware) Atlanta Fire Units (Which runs on OPS-2 in Cowley County) has Butler County 800mhz. as well as 400mhz Cowley County radios in all their apparatus now. They no longer have to patch 400's with 800's when Atlanta mutual aid's Butler Co.

All other FIRE/EMS, SO, Local PD's and County Emergency Management in Cowley County still run on 400's. But can be linked to any Butler County channel or KSICS ICS channel.

mitchkrat

Feed Provider
Question on Motobridge

The UHF towers will only be up for temporarily - at least that is what they are telling us... When they reband your radios down there, they need to add UCall and UTac interoperable channels in your radios. We will maintain a UHF system with those channels and they can be patched to the 800 system. I am with you on this, I do a lot of work in Cowley and will have to maintain a UHF radio for that purpose too.

The patch is not the best, there is about a 1 or 2 second delay and they are noisy, but that it what will be used in the future.

Will they be able to patch us into one of the Butler County Fire event groups or will we have to all of the Butler County traffic change to EVENT-F1?

SCPD

QRT
Mitch,

Dispatch can patch the UHF to the 800, provided they have the UHF channel... Radios will have to be programmed with the UCall and UTac channels for this, as I don't think Butler 911 has Cowley channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.