I'm fearful listening is about to get tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
listening is geting tough

Yea, like you say, MOTOTRBO is taking over all across the USA, especially in smaller towns and cities, including my own. The only thing I can listen to now is state police, they use P25 and some fire dept still use anolog in my area. I hope that they will make a scanner soon that will receive it. I haven't got DSD to work on my computer yet, not shure why. need to find someone that can help me.

Last edited:

MtnBiker81

Interoperability????

Just my .02 worth... Interoperability is only as good as the system is built and utilized. Everybody can be on the system with fancy equipment, did I mention expensive, but only a few channels are programmed into each agencies radios. Multiple Agencies on the Network, but not programmed into the radio can't be considered interoperability. Sometimes, it seems that we should have an individual radio for VHF Lo, VHF Hi, UHF, and 700/800 MHz to monitor area systems. Takes up space, but seems to work well enough based on having frequencies/channels readily accessible to talk to dispatch of city, county, or state agency.

rxbob

Hey I've out of pocket for a while just getting online again. Just wanted to update my orginial post, the Sheriff has been sold on Mototrbo and will be installing soon. As for the FD's we bought each department 1 moblie and 1 portable Mototrbo but they DO NOT have the SO's digital nor analog channel. The Sheriff does not want anyone listening to him. There is only digital channel in them and thats the County Road dept who went MotoTrbo without warning about a month ago. Three of the FDs bought a bunch of VX-354, because of the price. I bought one to try and I have been pleased with the service but my 2 year old has already dropped and cracked the case.

Why aren't you using the NPSPAC channels for local ops? Talkaround works wonders.

The guy that sold us our AWINs didnt program them right I guess they all give a tone and say "unprogrammed." He was told to fix that but didnt get it done when he rebanned them

dogtowndrums

Feed Provider
Local law enforcement departments encrypting radio transmissions is ridiculous. They're just asking for backlash from the public eventually. Sometimes they forget that they work for us, and that most of their operations should be done right out in the open with very few exceptions.

dave90000

The guy that sold us our AWINs didnt program them right I guess they all give a tone and say "unprogrammed." He was told to fix that but didnt get it done when he rebanned them

Ours do the same thing but if you will take the radio out of scan then the NPSPAC channels work fine

rxbob

thanks, dave that worked. I wonder why he wouldn't tell us that? I'd rather tell someone a little short cut that solves an issue than tell them that I would have to "fix it" for them. Ha, that about par for the course for that guy, glad he's not MY radio man, just the county's.

iamhere300

If you're talking about me, I'm not a Motorola salesman. I'm a technician and also do engineering work.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

John,

Lets call a spade a spade. As one of the owners of a family owned Motorola dealership, you are most certainly a salesperson.

You are a technical person, as well as a pretty bright engineering type - but you also do sales.

Not sure why you feel the need to hide that fact.

JRayfield

It has to do with 'motivation'. Not that I dont' want to sell products. All communications companies (manufacturers and dealers) must sell products to stay in business. But, sales people often try to sell something simply because they want the sale, not because it's the best thing for the customer. That's the point made by many people on these forums, and they're right.

As an example that I personally witnessed....when one nearby county was given a price by one large manufacturer, of several million dollars for a P25 trunked system, they pointed out that there was no way on earth that they could afford that. No way, never. The reason why they would need P25 trunking was for wide-area multisite roaming, which P25 conventional doesn't provide. The sales person from that manufacturer then suggested (with the idea of trying to 'get the sale') that they put in P25 conventional. That would not have given them anything better than what they've got now (multiple analog repeater sites, with no wide-area roaming). Either he didn't understand, or he was just 'desparate' to sell a high-end P25 system of any kind, even if it didn't meet the customers needs.

Yes, some technical people do some sales. But, 'motivation' is often different, driven by their technical knowledge, not driven by a strong desire to 'close the sale'. Frankly, I don't do well in trying to sell much of anything. One day, I told one of my customers (to whom I had sold a MOTOTRBO system) that I'm 'really not a salesman'. His answer was "I could tell".

So, when ones on these forums suggest (or outright say) that I'm 'pushing MOTOTRBO' simply because I"m a 'salesman', that's not correct. My 'motivation' is not the same. From standpoint of their 'accusation', I'm NOT a 'salesman'.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

John,

Lets call a spade a spade. As one of the owners of a family owned Motorola dealership, you are most certainly a salesperson.

You are a technical person, as well as a pretty bright engineering type - but you also do sales.

Not sure why you feel the need to hide that fact.

kg9nn

On the subject of Interop, a LEO said it best:

"All these bells and whistles are nice, and I'm told we have some channels in here so we talk to anyone else in the state, but I dont know where they are and I don't really care because I'm paid by the XYZ taxpayers and the only business I have is right here on our dispatch channel. It'll be a cold day in hell before our chief tells me to switch over to someone else's channel and take orders from them."

Interop is good for photo-ops but the people who supposedly want to work together fundamentally want nothing to do with one another.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
I think that certain channels should be private to le ops that can not be monitored by everyone. But the dispatch channels should be kept open to the public for our own safety so we may know what is going on durning storms,crime in our own back yard and other things that affect us directly

poppafred

I personally find it offensive that LE officials think they need to encrypt everything so we don't know how many donut and coffee runs they make.

My local PD has a shared freq with the county SO doing the dispatching but they also have a city only freq and it is everything BUT sensitive communication. Unless insulting each other is privileged info!

safetyobc

Yea, like you say, MOTOTRBO is taking over all across the USA, especially in smaller towns and cities, including my own. The only thing I can listen to now is state police, they use P25 and some fire dept still use anolog in my area. I hope that they will make a scanner soon that will receive it. I haven't got DSD to work on my computer yet, not shure why. need to find someone that can help me.

Here is a list (updatable if you know your local public safety agencies use MTROBO) of those known MTROBO systems to be in use in the USA. Keep in mind that it is not all inclusive and needs agencies added. There are 9 known agencies using MTROBO in Arkansas. I hope that scanner manufacturers are able to license MTROBO and make a scanner that can receive it.

rxbob

Notice where alot of those systems on that list are? South Arkansas. Drew County went first, then Monticello and Dermott. Chicot County and Lake Village followed soon. Here in Lincoln County, the road department is already using it and the SO and OEM have orders in for MOTOTRBO units. Desha County is running AWIN now but has been getting quotes for MOTOTRBO. Calhoun Co. has MOTOTRBO but I'm not sure if it is for dispatch or for interops with Camden and Ouachita County. One Department gets something new and everyone within 75 miles HAS to have it NOW!

With Dumas PD and Mcgehee PD using encryption when the good stuff is going on there isn't going to much to listen to down here.

Last edited:

safetyobc

That has some to do with it. Also a big push is likely from the local dealers to make sales

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KB5ILY

Clark Co OEM has replaced all four of the rural fire repeaters with MTROBO machines. Their current plan is to switch from wide-band to narrow-band on Jan. 1, 2012, and then will go full MTROBO on Jan. 1, 2013.

For now the Clark Co. Sheriff is still using his three conventional repeaters, but from time to time they switch to MTROBO (maybe as a range and quality test). I have not yet heard a hard date for cut-over to full MTROBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.