Official "Charlotte-Meck" Radio Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing a lot of encryption "gurgling" sounds this morning on the Meck Co P25 system. Any new info on this system. Mostly I hear a little CFD and Medic, but not much else these days.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Might be the techs with encryption (first I've heard of it) or it could be poor decode. There's a lot changing right now so they could be tweaking the system to sound better. Do you know what TGs were sounding garbled?

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Poor decode is a definite possibility. I have a lot of that, mostly due to a very low elevation here. 545 ft ASL. I saw TG 744 flash once.

trumpetman

Database Admin
744 won't be a valid talkgroup. The only ones I've logged encryption on is:

415: New MEDIC Administration
775: Old MEDIC MED 10
783: Old MEDIC Training 4

I imagine the other channels are for talkaround purposes or supervisors channels for the MEDIC guys to play with. They've got encryption strapped on the admin channel so they must know what they're doing and are enjoying the new features digital offers ;)

Alarm

CMPD Central/Metro

Does anyone know if the Central and Metro divisions have moved to the P25 system?

I am no longer hearing them, but I still receive Independence division. Just wondering if those in the uptown area are switching ahead of the DNC, and perhaps if that is what the encrypted channels are.

Thanks,

Chris

kg4pbd

I'm hearing traffic on Central (9136). It's relatively quiet, but I'm hearing routine traffic between dispatch and division 1 units.

kg4pbd

P25 system, airport control talkgroup

I didn't see this listed in the database, I heard a medic unit going to a call at the airport, and calling "Airport Control", on talkgroup 463.

ou99

I didn't see this listed in the database, I heard a medic unit going to a call at the airport, and calling "Airport Control", on talkgroup 463.

Reported in Charlotte Observer in Sept. It is probably related. Medic responds to 600-1000 calls per year at CLT.

"The Charlotte City Council is making sure that help will be available at Charlotte Douglas Airport if someone falls ill. They will be spending $500,000 annually to station medics inside the airport terminal every day from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. ........ Charlotte Douglas police will keep their EMT certifications and will remain at the scene but will serve now on as backup. "

kd8x

Does anyone know if the Central and Metro divisions have moved to the P25 system?

I am no longer hearing them, but I still receive Independence division. Just wondering if those in the uptown area are switching ahead of the DNC, and perhaps if that is what the encrypted channels are.

Thanks,

Chris

I am still seeing them operate on clt 800 system (old)

trumpetman

Database Admin
Several tornado touchdowns reported in Charlotte tonight, CFD is overran with calls right now. USAR dispatched to multiple collapsed buildings with entrapments in the Hickory Grove & University area. Batt. 2 & Batt. 4 received the brunt of the force with units coming from all over the city. Primary ops are on CFD-1C & CFD-1H.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Anyone know whether the NWS issued a tornado warning prior to the hit ?

I know we were under a sever thunderstorm warning until 7 a.m., but none of the accounts I've seen mentions if any other warnings were active.

In hindsight, WCNC showed radar images of the telltale storm hook when the (unofficial) tornado hit. I'm just wondering whether the speed of the cell at the time (approx 60 mph) caught someone off-guard.

Stormscanner

Feed Provider
There were no tornado warnings issued for Mecklenburg or Cabarrus. Stanly county was the only tornado warning I heard at 2:40am. My speculation would be that it was all going down so fast.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Jeff,

I never got a text for any warnings last night besides the tornado watch that was in effect until 5 AM. I have alerts setup for both Mecklenburg & Cabarrus since I'm right on the line. I always receive a text within 3 minutes (at most) from when my weather radio goes off, so I'll vouch for its reliability.

On my way to/from work today I saw some good damage between the Rocky River Rd. & Harrisburg Rd. on 485. There was still some garbage cans and trees in the roadway this morning, it was a mess.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Thanks for the feedback, Trumpetman and Stormscanner.

Someone on another forum had also indicated they did not receive any text alerts. By the time I woke up about 5:15 a.m., most of the activity had moved east through Chesterfield County, with one strong rotational cell showing in Scotland County on the Wunderground site.

But I needed the sleep anyway.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just glad yall are ok.
Here in Wake County we had some pretty good lightening strikes and some good
thunder and of course rain but that is about it.
I would have slept through all of it had it not been for Bongo the dog running
into my room to hunker down beside the bed waking me up after the first rumble! :D
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Pineville System

I am using Win500 to program a recently acquired PSR500 scanner. I cannot load the Pineville trunked system without causing "heap errors" in the scanner, and "no TSYS" errors in the software. It is a small system and should be easy to program using Radio Reference data, but so far has me baffled. Can anyone help me with this?

trumpetman

Database Admin
If it's the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago, it'll require a full reset.

Turn the scanner on then press [0] followed by [1] followed by [ENT]. That's the simple solution if you have all your info backed up. Not sure how much was recoverable at that point. Once you retry, make sure your talkgroups are properly associated with the TSYS, the TSYS has frequencies in it, and has a scan list slaved to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.