Pender County Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburfield

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I recently got a hold of a PRO-197 (with stock antenna) and I live in Hampstead, NC. I used the ARC-500 software to load all the frequencies I wanted on the scanner in certain scan lists. Everything seems to be working OK except for the Pender FIRE & EMS dispatch frequencies. I'm not sure if it is a frequency issue or a signal issue. My scanner says I have 4 bars of signal to those frequencies but I am just getting little snippets and bits or transmission from these frequencies. I'm not getting any pages or anything - just random radios from EMS and FIRE saying they are 10-8 in service and some others. I live near SPVFD so I'm not sure that it could be a signal issue especially since I can get New Hanover county transmissions loud and clear. Any ideas as to what I could do to resolve this -- are the frequencies on the site correct? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!!

jburfield

Premium Subscriber
I know, I am using the digital VIPER frequencies. I can pick up Sheriff and all NHC frequencies through VIPER but no Fire & EMS for Pender.

oft

Premium Subscriber
The majority of Pender County transmissions have shifted over to the VIPER system because even though I live in the ILM, I do pick up the Pender County stuff on VIPER and believe it or not, some of the communications do come through the Wilmington VIPER tower and also the Holly Ridge VIPER tower. I heard one this morning and heard when they switched over to ops. Here is what I would do if I were you (reference Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies)

make sure the frequencies for the following towers are programmed in your scanner

wilmington - NEW HANOVER
carolina beach - NEW HANOVER
penderlea - PENDER
Burgaw - PENDER
holly ridge - ONSLOW
kenansville - DUPLIN
kornegay - DUPLIN
Chinquapin - DUPLIN
wallace - DUPLIN

make sure all the tgid's in the "Pender County Talkgroups" are programmed, they are accurate

add the following tgid's

61936 f1f D DPRR PENDER DPRR 3 TG9 PENDER COUNTY
58016 e2a D PENDER BURG Pender Memorial Hospital Burgaw VMD12

---

at the same time, keep your old conventional frequencies programmed in the scanner because many of them are still valid per the FCC license search engines and many of the old towers are still functional as a backup plan in case VIPER does break down. Case in point - Hurricane Irene - the base station equipment for the SHP went down for a three hour span during the storm and the SHP ended up resorting back to their old traditional 42 MHZ frequencies until the equipment was repaired

----

also since you hint at being more around Sloop Point, you may want to look at either an external antenna or a better internal antenna. Many people for a better internal antenna get the radio shack Model 20-032 and place a steel cookie baking sheet underneath for a ground plane with the magnet in the center.

Last edited:

jburfield

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for your response!! Once I get home I will test this out. So if I program those control channels can I still route the frequencies I want to different scan lists and it work? I'm pretty new to this so I may be programming this inefficiently. Thanks for your help!!

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
PRO-197 Programming

Object oriented programming which the PRO-197 can do is a beast. PM me off line if you would like some assistance since its not quite within the scope of the Regional Forums. It took me quite a while to get my scanners programmed, but once I did I loved it!

Cheers

Thanks so much for your response!! Once I get home I will test this out. So if I program those control channels can I still route the frequencies I want to different scan lists and it work? I'm pretty new to this so I may be programming this inefficiently. Thanks for your help!!

oft

Premium Subscriber
jburfield:

Take up Robbyboy's advice. He knows what he's talking about.

I can not answer your question because I do not own a PRO-197 and therefore; I am unfamiliar with the scanner.

The object oriented programming was a very different beast for me to pick up on. After a few days I had it figured out.

jburfield, I sent you a PM. RobbyBoy and I are the mains ones around for Pender and Onslow. I know just about all that goes on in Pender and he handles Onslow.

Status
Not open for further replies.