Nebraska (Statewide) Wireless Interoperable Network "N-WIN"

Sorry for any bump, if any, but short on time and this is 18 pages long....

Is there any simulcasting with the new system and the lowband system at this time? My area of intrest would be North Platte west to the Wy/Colorado border. I know the troop in Scotts Bluff is NWIN as they use a coupe of the same freq as the Wyoming system, but I am unfamilar with the NHP way of doing business/districts etc.

There is no simulcasting of the low band side of N-WIN, unless there is an active patch from lowband to N-WIN for mutual aid operations.

Essentially I want to know if its worth putting the lowband channels in my old fire radio when I am in state to hear them or will they just be quiet?

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Once in a while the lowband frequencies such as 39.82-Statewide EMS, 39.90-39.98-Statewide Law frequencies do come alive with departments that are still on lowband. From what I have read the NSP lowband frequencies are now offline in the panhandle.

If anyone has suggestions for the I80 corridor, and the following counties, that would be great:
Kimball, Cheyenne, Banner, Scotts Bluff, Morrill, Deuel, Keith (North Platte?)

Thanks

Start here, it does need updated for the eastern part of the state, but for the panhandle, it is up to date!

Nebraska Wireless Interoperable Network/N-Win Traveler's Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Noticed that Digital Communities had a Case Study of the new Nebraska NWIN system. Almost reads like a Motorola Sell Sheet.

Bypass having to register at the site and download the PDF by Clicking Here.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
HAH!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think that the Motorola logo in the upper-right corner was a major clue to the document being a "sell sheet" for Moto's Astro 25 infrastructure!

In the I.T. world, I always equate "Case Study" with "Here's why you should buy OUR products"!

All in good jest!

Troop B

Anyone heard an update when Troop B (Norfolk Dispatch) will be making the transition over to the new N-Win tower in the NE sector? (Jones Creek)

The Troopers are still using the Winnebago Tower on low band over here in South Sioux City area.

I do hear Troop B over the Norfolk tower but most of the traffic thus far is the Ainsworth talkgroup, Norfolk Talkgroup was active for a small amount of time yesturday, doing DOT inspections south of town.

Lately it seems Troop B concentrates their activity over Humphrey tower, Columbus Talkgroup is very active.

Troop A was active throughout the day over Norfolk tower. May have been a Troop A radio in the area.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Just like certain "White Papers". :)

HAH!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think that the Motorola logo in the upper-right corner was a major clue to the document being a "sell sheet" for Moto's Astro 25 infrastructure!

In the I.T. world, I always equate "Case Study" with "Here's why you should buy OUR products"!

All in good jest!

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
Nwin

I have a Uniden 996XT with a discone antenna about 25 feet in the air. I dumped the NWIN Information off this site into the 996XT including all talkgroups of NSP. Only put the Beatrice tower and falls city tower in the radio. Again all freqs were off this site. Is there something special I have to do to hear this system? Was hearing the Beatrice tower full scale on the control channel but NOTHING on voice traffic. Anyone have any ideas? Has a radio Shack PRO 106 and had the same problem before. Would hear the control channel great but never any voice traffic. Thanks for any info or tips

I have a Uniden 996XT with a discone antenna about 25 feet in the air. I dumped the NWIN Information off this site into the 996XT including all talkgroups of NSP. Only put the Beatrice tower and falls city tower in the radio. Again all freqs were off this site. Is there something special I have to do to hear this system? Was hearing the Beatrice tower full scale on the control channel but NOTHING on voice traffic. Anyone have any ideas? Has a radio Shack PRO 106 and had the same problem before. Would hear the control channel great but never any voice traffic. Thanks for any info or tips

Put your scanner on search and not scan. not all ID's have been found

ChopperDan

Right now there is very little traffic on the Gage Co. tower. I also listen to it from Lincoln and may be hear some one once or twice a week. HQ troop still is useing the low band most of the time.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
For those who are new to wide area trunked systems.... You will only hear traffic on a tower IF a radio is affiliated to that tower. If no radios are in range, no traffic will be heard. This is a system design of wide area networks so that your not overloading sites with talk groups that no one is listening to. Once a radio roams in range, you will only hear the talk group that radio has selected. More radios on the tower with different talk groups selected, more you will hear.

This is very commo. On system buildouts so don't be discouraged. As another poster stated, scan in search mode and you have a greater chance of hearing something.

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
I hear a lot of traffic on Lincoln's tower, but it is not troop HQ

Well that makes me feel a little better. Its weird because ive heard some voice traffic on frequencies while just doing a search thry vhf frequencies but whil the radio is in normal scan mode with the control channel and the 3 or 4 other channels listed on this site....nothing. no voice traffic. Our system we use here in kansas is the same way...if a radio isnt on that tower you wont hear any traffic until a radio affiliates with that particular tower. And all you need to listen to the system is the control channels. Works great.Guess ill keep listening and see if i start to hear more once Lincoln swithches off the low band system.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Troop D & E (Western Nebraska) are the only troops that are fully on the system. Troop C (Central Nebraska) started to move earlier this year, but went back to Low Band after some coverage issues on I-80 between Kearney and Grand Island. Troops HQ, A, & B have just a few users testing currently.

Until HQ goes live on the new system, you won’t hear much on the Beatrice tower. Keep you scanner in “search” or “open” mode and you will sometimes hear other Troops or Nebraska Public Power.

SCPD

QRT
Troop A is on the system full time as of last week.
The system admins might have the ability to select what towers the talk groups can be used on.

Last edited:

SquierStrat

ever since yesterday ive been hearing troop B traffic (norfolk dispatch) on the Cedar bluffs tower. Talkgroup 3087 yesterday and now 3015 today.
Does that mean that since yesterday, someone from troop B has been in the area with their radio on? Or is something else going on here?

another question: Is there a certain list of towers for troop A, a certain list for Troop B, and so on... Or can any trooper use any tower to talk on their specified talkgroup at any time? like, the radio would just pick the tower with the strongest signal.. And when a dispatcher keys up their mic to try to get a hold of/find a trooper, Is there a list of towers that broadcast the dispatchers voice?

Last edited:

SquierStrat

Ive noticed in the database some troops have a dispatch 1 and a dispatch 3, but no dispatch 2. Why is this? I'm trying to understand and learn more about this system, but this one i cannot figure out. Any help on understanding this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also, so would any input on my previous questions. Thank you.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It is assumed that "Dispatch 2" and "Dispatch 4" talkgroups will be encrypted. We have not had any solid confirmations on the these talkgroup numbers yet.

nd5y

Probably because they are not used often and nobody has logged or reported them yet.
Often on other systems talkgroups are assigned in blocks.
If you look in the DB and sort by talkgroup (all in one table) you should be able to see patterns and "holes".