SFFD Green Light on Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

joen7xxx

Are the green lights actually referenced in the Ca Vehicle Code or are they just ignored like here in Nevada where the mine vehicles use them to get around the Amber Light Permit and associated fees?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
These are fire trucks being referenced here, not mine vehicles. They aren't used for traffic alerting.

joen7xxx

QUOTE: "These are fire trucks being referenced here, not mine vehicles. They aren't used for traffic alerting."

I realize this. I grew up in SF listening to KMA526. I was just asking since these are on motor vehicles operating on the public roadways, "are green lights actually referenced in the vehicle code".

Just curious.

af6rr

It helps to actually look at the CVC

There is a whole chapter of the CVC devoted to vehicle lighting, starting with section 24250.

Flashing and Colored lights are covered starting with section 25250.

I don't see any reference to Green lights specifically being permitted, but Section 24003(c) might apply. It basically says that emergency vehicles may display lighting not otherwise permitted by the CVC as long as approved by CHP. (see also definition of 'department' in section 290)

Low intensity diffused lighting (<0.5 candella/square inch) is permitted in any color, but I don't think that applies here.

Last edited:

Bearyw

Feed Provider
The green lights only identify the apparatus is an Aerial Truck, it helps drivers determine what rig is approaching them, then deploy accordingly.

SCPD

QRT
One of my brother in law's is retired from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and lives in Livermore. Back in the 1990's the Lab fire chief lived down the street and parked his chiefmobile on the street next to his house. He had a domed green light just forward of the center part of the light bar. I commented to my brother in law about never seeing this on any fire apparatus and what its function might be. At work he asked the chief what it was for and the answer was to show where the incident command post is at the fireground.

It's been quite a few years since this occurred and things might be very different now, including the use of the green light for this purpose.

Of course Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) would probably say it was to alert the "Green Lantern" that his help was needed.

Bearyw

Feed Provider
Yeah, I know NIMMS says that, SFFD actually tried to put green beacons on the roof of the command vehicles but that's another story. SFFD SOPs always put the Command Post IFO the incident building and because we don't want a Chief's buggy in the middle of the fire ground, it (the command post) is rather dynamic and may move as the wind blows. Chief's buggies and the Rescue Squad always park away from the incident, so as not to block any apparatus.

So just to clarify, the green light on the Aerial Trucks, is just to help Apparatus Operators, readily identify what type of vehicle is approaching (or behind) them. The second (or supply engine) would let the Truck go first, so they don't get delayed or blocked. The third engine, can easily see that a second supply is in progress, and would then go around the block, if possible, to supply from the other side.

Hey, it's San Francisco, we do everything different!

RolnCode3

There is a whole chapter of the CVC devoted to vehicle lighting, starting with section 24250.

Flashing and Colored lights are covered starting with section 25250.

I don't see any reference to Green lights specifically being permitted, but Section 24003(c) might apply. It basically says that emergency vehicles may display lighting not otherwise permitted by the CVC as long as approved by CHP. (see also definition of 'department' in section 290)

Low intensity diffused lighting (<0.5 candella/square inch) is permitted in any color, but I don't think that applies here.
The VC pertains more to use. Our old friend, Title 13, is where all the standards are. The green lights are not an authorized color, so it is not technically a warning lamp. Title 13, Division 2, Chapter 2, Article 22, Section 816:

"Warning lamps shall meet the following limits in SAE J578d, September 1978. The color shall be that of the emitted light, not that of the material used for the lens or filter.

(a) Class A and D Warning Lamps: Red

(b) Class B, C, and E Warning Lamps: Red, yellow, or blue.

Note: Authority cited: Section 26103, Vehicle Code. Reference: Sections 24012 and 26103, Vehicle Code."

Here's the url: www.calregs.com/linkedslice/default.asp?SP=CCR-1000&Action=Welcome

Last edited:

sffire

Premium Subscriber
The green light is not designed as a warning light to warn cars to pull over. They still have red lights to do that on rigs and buggies. Green light on the truck is not a warning light as defined. It is just for SFFD use. Just like the boat lights on top of the cab of truck companies. The truck is not a boat. It is only used to help guide the tiller operator line up the trailer with the tractor. You might say the green light and the boat light are to be used as guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.