• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun mobile.....yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

N2ICV said:
Link still not working.

Just tried it and it works fine. http://va3isp.com

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

Still way too much money. I can buy Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood for that price. One of the beauties of the Wouxun hand-helds was their low price. I had hoped that the pricing strategy would continue. Perhaps, as time goes on, the price will go down.

WX9EMS

Still way too much money. I can buy Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood for that price. One of the beauties of the Wouxun hand-helds was their low price. I had hoped that the pricing strategy would continue. Perhaps, as time goes on, the price will go down.

I agree. I would like to see what the specs REALLY are...My FT-8800 is pretty darn close on the money spec-wise, my KG-UVD1P on the other hand, not quite so much....TX power isn't even close to as advertised. If it were half of that price listed, I would think about it; but at that price I would rather buy another Yaesu or Kenwood.

My thought is that all the ruckus about this radio on the internet created some "artificial demand" and now they set the price on that so called demand, maybe got a bit greedy too. Lets see if it sells.

vbcr1711

Boy I'm glad I went and got the kenwood TM-V71A instead of waiting for this. I'm sure I made the right choice now! For only 40-50 dollars more I got a radio that is a proven performer and has not failed in any way, is easy to use and has 50 watts on both bands, wider receive, ect, ect, ect. It has many more features than the wouxun has.

Not only do I think wouxun shot themselves in the foot with this kind if pricing, they blew both their feet off with a 12 guage shootgun! I see the first 10 radio went fast....I bet it will slow down once everyone starts posting reviews about them, If they're anything like the portables they will be very quirky to operate and program.

I really don't see the "very quirky to operate and program", I have the UV-6D 2.5 and have had zero issues with it. Programming is a breeze and operational? Operates just fine. I use mine for 2m/70cm and 44 public safety bands and use it as my fire command portable. Works flawlessly.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I can wait!

I had a chance to get a glimpse and play a bit with one of these that a local Ham shop received. If this radio was maybe a $100 less or so, it would be more attractive. The one thing that stood out was the audio. Having owned quite a few Yaesu and Icom mobiles, I can say that this is one area where Wouxun did NOT get it right. The radio sounds like a cheap mobile. Ther is no way to describe it unless you hear it. Put a basic mobile radio like a Yaesu FT-7800 or 7900 next to it and you will notice the audio difference right away. Again, if the price was around $250 which is where this radio should be, this would not be so much of an issue. Personally, I am taking a wait-and-see attitude with this radio. Definitely not worth the current asking price.

Manny

John599nj

Premium Subscriber
I saw one in the flesh last week. Someone I know is beta testing one. My first impression was I liked it but noticed it had some quirky things about it. It is not FCC type accepted yet but when it does I know it will be a hit if they bring the price point down. I know nothing else I will take the 5th lol

KA9QPN

First Impressions

Let me preface this by staying away from the pricing and 'vaporware' issues. I treat myself to one extravagance a year and the Wouxun was it this go-around.

The Good:
This is the first Chinese radio that I could program by hand using the manual. Not like I had a choice, as there is no cable or software. But, decent documentation is the difference between programming ease and retreating from the thing in tears. The panel programming buttons are mirrored on the microphone, making things even easier. I blew through entering 25 odd repeaters in about an hour and a half after I figured out the menu hierarchy, with plenty of coffee and potty stops.

The manual is reasonably free of Chinglish and might have even been written by an English speaker. The diagrams of the menu are well laid out. Some of the menu descriptions are lacking detail, but become apparent once you start pushing buttons.

The display is thoughtfully laid out and reasonably sized. The ability to have channel numbers, frequency display or alphanumerics is a nice touch, especially if this ever gets Part 90 acceptance.

The receiver appears reasonably sensitive. I do not have any test equipment more complicated than a ham-grade wattmeter, so I'll leave the comprehensive testing to others. Again: first impressions.

Built in duplexer. I like that. Others might not.

Separate internal speakers for each receiver. More on that below.

Separation kit is in the box.

On air reports were good.

Very quiet cooling fan.

The Bad:
The manual states the the radio is Part 90 compliant. The box and the cover of the manual have an FCC logo on them. Of course, that's not happened. Amusingly, both the box and manual cover carry the Chinese patent numbers of the radio and the microphone with the admonishment that "imitation is not permitted".

Those separate speakers were from the lowest bidder. It doesn't bother me, as I've never had an amateur grade mobile rig with which I didn't have to use an external speaker. A couple of some R/S 19-318 speakers and some double faced auto trim tape solved the problem. After that, it filled the car with pleasant audio.

While we're on speakers, there is also a speaker in the back of the microphone. "Great idea" you say. Until you activate it. Perhaps my tin ears could not separate the distortion from the internal speakers. I'll be revisiting that as I shake this down further.

The Peculiar:
There may be an issue with slow response in the CTCSS receive. I need more operating time on it to quantify.

I'm not happy with the choices of backlighting for the display. You have white, blue and green, which are assignable to 'standby', receive and transmit. The green and blue are a bit dim for my tastes, and if there is a brightness adjustment, I couldn't find it.

RJ45 jack for PC programming and lashing two of these together as a full repeater. No programming cable or software, although both are referenced in the manual. The screenshots of the software look suspiciously like some Maxon LMR software that I've used.

Some of the features puzzle me. I can see FM broadcast reception in an handheld, but not in a mobile. Same with the 'scrambler' function: totally unusable on the ham bands and not robust enough for LMR if acceptance is gained. The 2.5 kHz step will need to be put in a type accepted version.

What the Hell is a Compand? Same with Noise Reduction? Again, I saw these features in the Maxon LMR equipment, which makes me believe that Wouxun might be a Maxon contract manufacturer.

I didn't play with the cross-band repeater function, as I've never seen the utility in it.

All in all, this appears to be a very nice radio IF it had the original announced 2.5kHz step, was Part 90 accepted and they put real speakers in it. The software and cable would be nice too, if only to facilitate fleet programming. I'll let others argue over the price point and let someone smarter than me put one on the spectrum analyzer.

73--
Tom KA9QPN

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I can see FM broadcast reception in an handheld, but not in a mobile.

Space limited users, like in small cars or in boats, maybe motorcycles. Obviously, external amplification would be required, along with a lack of audio fidelity concerns.

N4KVE

This would be tx AGC. Nice review, thanks. GARY N4KVE

Companding can also refer to the use of compression, where gain is decreased when levels rise above a certain threshold, and its complement, expansion, where gain is increased when levels drop below a certain threshold. GARY N4KVE

nyc1ham

Wouxun Mobile

Cheapham.com has them arriving shortly.
I just ordered one, $289 which included seperation hardare, USB programmng cable and software

Status
Not open for further replies.