TrainTenna LP Model Antenna indoor use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewo

Feed Provider
Has anyone had favorable results using this antenna in an attic? I currently own the 3dBi indoor TrainTenna which I have mounted in my attic and hooked to a Motorola Spectra mobil unit. The 9dBi on the LP looks very attractive though. As a rule of thumb how much more coverage should I expect with the 9dBi vs the current 3dBi? Thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

The LP is a directional antenna. So if the RR radios you listen to have signals that arrive from different directions you may not be happy with an LP. HOWEVER, if most of what you listen to comes from the same compass direction, then you may be very pleased. Another possibility: buy the LP and a rotator to turn the antenna when you want to get weaker signals from the "other" direction(s). But expensive to do that, and not very practical in your attic, I'll bet.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What he said. Oh and BTW don't be fooled by those dBi gain figures being a mathematical construct have no place in the real world. Manufacturer use this theoretical figure to sell product because the numbers are higher than the old dBd (decibels over dipole) standard. Even that 3dBi figure is a load of hooey, the correct figure is 2.8 because the antenna IS A DIPOLE, unity gain or in other words 0dBd. If you want the real deal subtract 2.8 from any dBi figure and you have the real world dBd gain figure.

Oh don't get me wrong, peacock words aren't crookery, it's legal because it's puffery. Puffery serves to "puff up" an exaggerated image of what is being described and is especially featured in testimonials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.